Ruger no I in 22lr. Update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Ruger no I in 22lr. Update

Post by barbarossa »

Heard that for 2018 a special run of Ruger no 1 in 22lr is supposed to be produced.Might be an interesting gun to play with

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger no I in 22lr. Update

Post by jnyork »

Looking at the specs, I cant see any difference in the two models. What am I missing?

Hope they make it in a real rifle along with the little carbine.
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

I wanted one real bad, bought an action, then bought stock and forearm. Before I went any further I stumbled across a high grade Winchester 1885 in 22lr. Much sleeker and an accurate rifle. I kept the Ruger parts to assemble a 221 Fireball
I am one gun away from happy
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

"TALO has acknowledged several errors in the catalog and has taken it down from their Dropbox. Hopefully they will correct the info on the new #1 models"

From: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 4&t=263623
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I must be missing something here!
Why, why such a large action for a 22 :?: :| :?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One in 22 Hornet or 17 Hornet would be cool...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I LOVE my no.1 in 218 Bee. This was one of the only deals I ever found. Guy had fallen on hard times, consigned at a LGS.had a $350 tag on it. Was LNIB, low end Bushnell 3-9 and 2 boxes of factory ammo ( only about 20 rounds fired)
After some minor bedding/ pressure point tinkering it is an honest 1/4 to 1/2" gun.
I would like to find one in 9.3x74R
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nath wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:24 am I must be missing something here!
It's a gimmick for those who love their Ruger #1's. There's been a number of requests from those fellas for this caliber, or they wouldn't have considered building it. It wont be a stalking rifle, or a gun guys will spend a lot of carry time with. It's not a purpose built target rifle, or match rifle either. Just a toy for Ruger fans to buy and add to their collection.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm
It's a gimmick for those who love their Ruger #1's. There's been a number of requests from those fellas for this caliber, or they wouldn't have considered building it. It wont be a stalking rifle, or a gun guys will spend a lot of carry time with. It's not a purpose built target rifle, or match rifle either. Just a toy for Ruger fans to buy and add to their collection.
Got it, thanks :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm
Got it, thanks :D
Kind of like a Winder musket, the Winchester 1885 version of a .22 Short. Which for the price, I'd rather have a .22 LR version of.
But I am always glad when manufacturers bring out new products, even if it's something I personally wouldn't buy.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Like unto my Martini-Enfield Artillery Carbine, converted from an 1879 Martini-Henry Mk III (.577-450) in 1897 to the M-E A.C. I configuration in .303, then to a .22 in Edwardian times (latest action body stamp is '08) by Greener ('Converted for the N.R.A. by W.W. Greener'). Massive, robust action that no .22 will ever overstress; a hoot to shoot, cheap to run, and a real head-turner/conversation starter at the range. Nice to see something made in Victoria's time still working as advertised in the 21st Century . . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm....but I am always glad when manufacturers bring out new products, even if it's something I personally wouldn't buy.
Yep.....me too.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

vancelw wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm [

Kind of like a Winder musket, the Winchester 1885 version of a .22 Short. Which for the price, I'd rather have a .22 LR version of.
But I am always glad when manufacturers bring out new products, even if it's something I personally wouldn't buy.
The Winder had a very specific purpose, and was requested by Lt. Colonel Charles Winder of the Ohio National Guard to specifically meet that purpose. It was also chambered in .22 Short for the same reason. Not only was that ammo cheaper back then, but most target rifles in .22RF matches were chambered for the .22 Short.
The Winder's design was to have a .22 Short target rifle that met military parameters for matches having that requirement. The US Army Sharpshooter team used the Winders in practice matches, and also as practice guns for their CF matches. Winder was a Palma match winner, and since those matches required use of military style arms, he felt that his team could greatly benefit from a .22 practice rifle that simulated their CF guns. Another interesting note is Winder's involvement in developing Army snipers. These guns were also used to train the snipers he was so involved with.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am
vancelw wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 pm [

The Winder had a very specific purpose, and was requested by Lt. Colonel Charles Winder of the Ohio National Guard to specifically meet that purpose. It was also chambered in .22 Short for the same reason. Not only was that ammo cheaper back then, but most target rifles in .22RF matches were chambered for the .22 Short.
The Winder's design was to have a .22 Short target rifle that met military parameters for matches having that requirement. The US Army Sharpshooter team used the Winders in practice matches, and also as practice guns for their CF matches. Winder was a Palma match winner, and since those matches required use of military style arms, he felt that his team could greatly benefit from a .22 practice rifle that simulated their CF guns. Another interesting note is Winder's involvement in developing Army snipers. These guns were also used to train the snipers he was so involved with.

Yes, we understand. THAT is why someone would buy a .22 LR version of a Ruger No. 1
Or put a .22 liner in their Sharps....etc and so forth.
While Winder muskets were made in .22 rimfire short, MANY have been converted to .22 LR. It is great fun to shoot at 300 to 400 yards with vernier sights on a windy day, and strain to hear the "ping" or hope your spotter saw the splatter.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I dunno about the history of small calibers in large guns, but I would like a "man sized" 22 lr. All the 22 rifles I have seem a bit small for me (6-0, 225 lbs) and I sometimes feel "scrunched up" when shooting them. I had to restock my 10-22 before I was really comfortable shooting it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Marlin 39 is man sized.
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

For man-sized, try one of the Enfield No. 2 Mk IV (or Mk IV*) .22 trainers, single-shot .22 conversions of the .303 Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk III. Full-sized and (many) sleeved with a .22 liner from A.G. Parker, its smaller diameter bore makes it heavier than the original .303 configuration -- and it will still accept an almost 2-foot-long bayonet if necessary for when the Super-X box is empty . . . .