38-55 LF - Pros & Cons

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redgum
Levergunner

38-55 LF - Pros & Cons

Post by redgum »

I've been offered a Legendary Frontiersmen .38-55 at a good price.
Here in Australia, they were never as popular as the .30-30 but I am really keen.
I did some reading and came away rather confused about cast bullet sizes, case thicknesses etc.
Seems there is some variation and opinions vary from .379"- .380"....(Yes, I Will slug the bore)
....then I read that Starline brass must be used with bigger bullets because it's thinner in the walls.... and so it goes.
Any experienced advice would really be helpful
Regards...Rick
Rick C.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 38-55 LF - Pros & Cons

Post by Griff »

My understanding is that the modern Winchesters used a .376-.377 groove diameter in their post '64 actions,including the commemoratives; it's the early "original" leverguns that have wide variances in groove diameters. But, I could be all wet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems to me that slugging the bore and the chamber would be a good first step. I don't know enough about the 38-55 to be of any other help.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's a classic caliber capable of great accuracy and reasonable power on game. Some years ago, I bought Corbin swaging equipment specifically to swage .379 jacketed bullets to match the bore and groove of a Marlin Cowboy in this chambering, and got wonderful results. Sold off the gear a while later. I have heard that the Winchester barrels are indeed much tighter.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought mine used but in excellent condition. It was owned by a well known local gun nut who dad passed.
I size my cast bullets to .381 using a shop made push through sizing die. Loaded in unmodified Star Line brass they chamber
Easily and shoot very accuratly. It is possible that the previous owner had opened up the chamber to accept that combination. I have not taken a chamber cast to find out and don't plan to.
Slug the bore and size your bullets accordingly. If your brass needs thinned to chamber then that is what you will have to do to get maximum accuracy from that rifle. Have fun!
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

My third year of production 1894 rifle with a 26" tapered octagonal barrel has a slugged bore of .379. The bore is dark but still shows decent rifling. I get 4" groups at 100 yards on a good day.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think its still not possible to make a definitive statement on what Winchester groove diameters are. The Chief Crazy Horse used in the tests in The Winchester Lever Legacy book slugged at .3755 I believe, if not .3745. The Saskatchewan Centennial barrel I have is .380-.381" groove diameter. One I had before this one was right on .375", but unfortunately sent it back because it had rust freckles on the outside. Wish I had it now.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

Thank you all for the input. Your comment Griff gave me confidence that there may be a baseline...
The seller has offered cases & dies with the rifle, so I figured I'd start with the LEE .379"mold and go from there,
but the fact remains that I will have to "Slug it & see".
Rick C.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Since I was an early teenager I have wanted a Winchester 94 in 38-55. About three years ago I talked my son into sending his 94 30-30 to Jes reboreing in Oregon. It was not hard to do because he grew up hearing me talk about the 38-55. When it came back I fire formed several 30-30 cases with a little Unique and a little piece of paper towel to old the powder in. A friend brought me some .379 bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. They were 245 grain #1 Ballard bullets, and a bunch of Trail Boss powder. he said that load was very accurate in his old Winchester. I put a Williams Foolproof sight on the rifle and went to the range to sight it in. At 50 yards the first shot was about 4 inches low raised it up some, the second shot was that high so I split the difference an the third and fourth shot touched in the 10 ring. I kept the rifle for the next deer season and killed a big doe with hunting load of Unique and a 255grain hard cast bullet. I THINK YOU REALLY NEED THAT RIFLE !!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 38-55 is my favorite "medium action" cartridge.
I have three 94 26" octagon rifles. One has a number under 3400.
I also have two half magazine SRC's.
If you take the time to find out just where you're at with the throat and groove diameter, and have a least a fair bore thats good at the crown, the 38-55 is capable of good accuracy. Just takes some experimenting.
It was, after all, a popular schutzen and target round back in the day.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.