Uberti 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti 1873

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Had my eye on this used like new Uberti for about a month now couldn't take it any more so I put it on layaway.
It's a Uberti 1873 Deluxe Sporting Rifle .45 Colt always liked the .45 Colt cartridge and loved the look of the 1873

If anyone on here has one let me know how you like it.

Don't know why my pictures don't download on here but if you click the link you can see it.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 20/enhance
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti 1873

Post by JerryB »

That rifle is a beauty, now that is a classy hunting rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

Here it is, hopefully . . .

I had the 'short rifle' version in .357 magnum. A really nice accurate little rifle that I let go for reasons that escape me now.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Thanks for posting the picture
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two Uberti 1873s in 45 Colt. The first one I purchased slightly used from the original owner in late 1986/early 1987. It was one of the first 5 45 Colt 1873s imported by EMF from Uberti, manufacturer code indicates made in 1986. the second is a 2014 date, & bought that same year. #1 is a 24-¼" octagon barreled Sporting rifle, same as the Deluxe, sans checkering and pistol grip. I have now shot it in CAS (cowboy action shooting) for just over 30 years. Much of that has been with BP loads. Until 2016, I had not modified a thing on it. I'd broken one extractor (1994) and one mainspring (2015), so I can't say it's been perfect! But, near enough, for me to recommend them. The only things I've modified are the lever & Lifter return springs, the trigger block safety spring and some "clearancing" of the carrier. The carrier in this rifle was pretty loose from the factory, but... I made it a bit sloppier... this aids in increasing the amount of "crud" (BP fouling), that can build up inside the mortise and on the carrier before the action starts to get "gummy" and slow down... eventually, coming to a halt.

The new one is an 18-½" half round/octagon barreled rifle, imported by Taylor's & Sons. It got the new lever, carrier, & trigger-block safety springs as the other (along with my 1860 Henry by Uberti), and I also clearanced the carrier on it as well. I removed about .005" per side of the carrier. It's still a little tighter than the older 1873, but I can easily run thru 6-10 stages before it needs cleaning, or even a quick squirt of carb/brake cleaner to wash out the BP fouling. With smokeless powered loads, I can let it go a year or more with cleaning... actually, none have ever gone that long before I get a little fastidious, and have the need to clean, just 'cause!

Chambers are quite generous on these rifles, and feeds truncated cone and round flat nose bullets with ease. IME, a semi-wadcutter tends to hang up on the lip of the chamber. Note your carrier mortise length, as that will determine the absolute maximum overall length you'll be able to load ammo to. Although specs say they'll feed 1.600" ammmo, none of my 3 Uberti toggle links will. The newest Short Rifle 1873 will only take ammo about 1.577" in length. All 3 load that length, so it works. I've run bullets thru mine from 160-250 grains with the appropriate nose shape and not had any problems meeting the length issue.

I've had acceptable accuracy with bullets (lead), sized to .452", better with .454". and even better with some .456" I was gifted. For my cowboy shooting, .452 has been "good enough" since the oldest rifle was new. I'm gonna say "minute of deer" accurate at appropriate ranges for this ol' cartridge. I tend to keep my loads ~900fps for cowboy shooting and just under 1100 fps from the 24-¼" barrel for the few loads I have for other critters, (a 240 grain jacketed HP, if you're curious). Those are just a little bit MORE accurate, but, I rarely shoot any, as I hate cleaning copper fouling... and with my middle of road hardness lead loads, I've never had any lead fouling!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Griff,thank you for your expertise reply!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have two straight grip long barreled Uberty 73's. One in .45 and one in .32-20. Both are fine shooters.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I also have 2....straight grips....Case colored...typical uberti 73
One in 45lc and the other in 44-40....fairly accurate....
but heavy triggers...
day at the range 009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You do the same thing I do.....buy the gun, THEN after you already bought it, ask other people what they think of that model.....!

I do that too, because once I decide I want it, I don't want to give anyone a chance to talk me out of it... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

Wow that's a great picture. Fine rifle. I have a Uberti 73 short rifle.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My 24 1/4 inch looks just like yours but is a 44-40. I traded an 1886 in 50 express for it. Yeah I got some difference. I've had it about 25 years and have no idea how many rounds I've fired through it, mostly black powder. When I was first using the longer barrel I had lots of trouble getting enough lube to last to the end of the barrel. Ended up using a grease cookie. I added a Marbles tang sight which I highly recommend. My rifle is capable of fine accuracy with the right loads. I did about the same things to it that Griff talked about but being a 44-40 the action stays a lot cleaner because the thinner case seals the chamber better. As in no blow-by. I still wipe with a damp patch between stages so that any misses are my fault. I was a SASS competitor well participant for many years and hope to get back to it soon. I love the rifle and will not be getting rid of it any time soon.

Esperanza has the 20 inch octagon barrel and it is much more forgiving about black powder loads and how much lube is needed to keep the fouling soft to the end. The longer barrel hangs better for me. I'm sure you're gonna like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS