Anybody here still drive a stick shift?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anybody here still drive a stick shift?

Post by octagon »

I have never had a standard trans go out on me. Had many over the years and still have two : 90 Chevy 4:4 and early 70's john Deere 4430. :D
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

4-speed manual for me .....

win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

One more time before I die I want to drive a "three on a tree", the old three speed on the steering colunm. Believe the last time I drove one was in the mid 70's.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 pm
My Falcon with 468 BBC Super T10 4 speed:

I love the old 1960 thru '63 Falcons before they got squared and boxy. My aunt had a 1962 Falcon, and my brother a 1963 2 door with 170 ci straight 6 and column shift. That thing was so tail light that it was way to easy to do a burn-out even with the straight 6. I always wanted a '63 Sprinter model with a 289 and 4 speed trans. Thanks for sharing.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

crs wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm Ji,
Thanks for asking. Thinking of Hawaii, I would like to drive my Alpine on Kauai where there are so many nice views and such curvy and hilly roads.

V6 is a hopped up 2.8 liter Ford. Way over kill for the light Alpine, but it sounds good and is very FAST! Has a 5 speed Mustang tranny
Was that engine what was known as the Cologne V6? Back in the early 70s my older brother bought a lightly used Mercury Capri made in the UK. I believe his a 2.6 liter V6 and a manual 4 speed. It was a light little car so very quick off the line.
1972-mercury-capri-gt-003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glad to see you on here Ji, been missing you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

My ‘66 born Aug. ‘65
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 am [I love the old 1960 thru '63 Falcons before they got squared and boxy. My aunt had a 1962 Falcon, and my brother a 1963 2 door with 170 ci straight 6 and column shift. That thing was so tail light that it was way to easy to do a burn-out even with the straight 6. I always wanted a '63 Sprinter model with a 289 and 4 speed trans. Thanks for sharing.
That's what mine was when I bought it Ji! A 170 six with a 3 speed. It sat in a barn from the early 1990's to 2013 when I bought it from a neighbor for $550. I like the '63 Futura body because it has the '64 squared off roof, but round body of the '60-'63 Falcons. A unique style of it's own.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

in Australia manuals are still about as popular as autos. especially 4x4, most are manuals.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 am [I love the old 1960 thru '63 Falcons before they got squared and boxy. My aunt had a 1962 Falcon, and my brother a 1963 2 door with 170 ci straight 6 and column shift. That thing was so tail light that it was way to easy to do a burn-out even with the straight 6. I always wanted a '63 Sprinter model with a 289 and 4 speed trans. Thanks for sharing.
That's what mine was when I bought it Ji! A 170 six with a 3 speed. It sat in a barn from the early 1990's to 2013 when I bought it from a neighbor for $550. I like the '63 Futura body because it has the '64 squared off roof, but round body of the '60-'63 Falcons. A unique style of it's own.
My dad has a Falcon Convertible (IIRC one of about 5800 made). It is in decent enough shape, but really needs a full pan-off resto.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I have a bone-stock soft-topped 2005 Jeep TJ Wrangler Unlimited, the 2-door, the so-called "LJ" with the 4.0 straight 6 and a six-speed Daimler-Benz manual transmission. My wife and I joke that it's our joint midlife crisis vehicle. It came from southern VA and has ZERO rust. We run it mid Apr to mid Oct, take it to Jeep festivals in OH and PA. Those ten extra inches of wheelbase really improve the LJ's ride over the standard TJ Wrangler.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 am In the UK autos are available but stick shift is the most common option, personally I prefer a manual gearbox every time, just like a leveraction I like being in control.. :wink:
Most automatic cars I know of are slower and thirstier than manual models plus you can't roll start an automatic when the battery is flat.
If you take your test in an auto, you are not qualified to drive a manual by law.
Always amazed by the "laws" the in-chargers come up with.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

octagon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pmI have never had a standard trans go out on me. Had many over the years and still have two : 90 Chevy 4:4 and early 70's john Deere 4430. :D
Neither have I... clutches are a different story tho'! :lol: My son had the 5-spd in my Camaro give up the ghost on him one day... 4th gear syncro ate itself up. He'd watch me slip shift and thought it simple... til it isn't.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have shifted a few times without using the clutch on a manual, but my last manual had a lockout and wouldn't allow for that. The gear shift was locked in place until the clutch was pushed in. Not very user friendly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

#29 Post by JHarold » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm
The only time I hate my stick shift is when I am eating an ice cream cone!

I got in a vicious fight with a black belt katate instructor..When we were finished they hauled him to the hospital with broken ribs. I got in my 1953 GMC pickup with 3 on the tree and drove home - while holding my one better eye open and trying to shift with the same hand....My truck is a 97 Dodge 2500 with manual trans..My wife has manual in her Ford Escape..
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Alphawolf your tale reminds me of a friend from years back. He was an old man with bad eyes and had surgery on same. He was told not to lift over ten pounds for a month. After lifting a box of bolts his left eye popped out. Holding it in his hand he came next door to have me drive him to hospital but I was not home. Holding his eye in left hand he drove his flatbed Chevy four speed stick to hospital about fifteen miles away. He was a little fella and tough as ...a box of bolts :shock: :wink:
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

IMG_3760.JPG
Yup!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:55 am
Ji in Hawaii wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 am ...my brother's a 1963 2 door with 170 ci straight 6 and column shift. That thing was so tail light that it was way to easy to do a burn-out even with the straight 6.
That's exactly what my brother owned a '63 Futura 2 door squared off roof, it was even badged Futura instead of Falcon. I believe it was even the same metallic green/blue color. I think he bought it from his manager where he worked for $300. This was back in like 1972 when he was a Junior in high school. I just could not warm up to the '64 and later Falcons that were squared and creased all over. I'm a Ford guy so would much prefer to hop up a Falcon over a similar Nova. Right after high school I bought a '65 Mustang Fastback with a brand new 289 long block and T-10 4 speed trans. I loved that car but I had to get practical when I proposed to my wife to be. Sold the mustang and bought a Datsun B210 also with 4 speed trans so not that bad, and I got over double the fuel economy.