Anybody here still drive a stick shift?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
lazarus870
Levergunner

Anybody here still drive a stick shift?

Post by lazarus870 »

Some of the "tactical" guys I know from the local gun community wrinkle their nose at me when I tell them how much i love handgun-caliber lever-actions when they like their semi auto AR15s and whatnot.
Nothing against the semi auto, I have a few, especially Glocks and other handguns...but there's nothing better than the feeling of cycling a manually-operated firearm, cycling a lever, racking a pump shotgun, pulling back a smooth bolt action, whatever.

And it makes me think...I still am a holdout of the manual transmission. My 5.0 Mustang has the 6-speed manual and even though an auto is faster, better in traffic, gets more MPG's, I can't help but love the actuation of rowing through the gears.
Next fun car will be a stick, too.

Something about manually operating well-designed mechanical devices, be it cars or guns.

Anybody else?
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody here still drive a stick shift?

Post by HawkCreek »

I looked long and hard last time I bought a truck for one with a manual. I found ONE with all the other features I wanted, drug my feet on it and it was gone the next day. My other truck is an auto because again when I bought it you couldn't get the features I wanted with a manual. So no my current two vehicles are not manual but I wish they were, does that count?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

When i was looking at trucks back 2015 i wad told by all the different makes dealerships that the manual was an option. It was cheaper for the manufacturer to build the drivtrains one way or the other. More people wanted auto or stick trannies.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too prefer a manual transmission! My 07 Dodge 5.9 Cummins has a 6 speed- I ordered the truck that way. As for better mpg with an automatic I highly doubt that...
last summer I took my jeep for new sneakers, the kid that was supposed to do the swap COULD NOT drive a manual! The receptionist finally went out the door cussing a blue streak, got in my jeep and drove it into the shop. She then came back in muttering under her breath about how this country is falling apart.
Drivers Ed classes should teach kids how to use a clutch, should have to drive both to show an understanding that the student can operate ANY vehicle when they take the drivers Ed test.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In the UK autos are available but stick shift is the most common option, personally I prefer a manual gearbox every time, just like a leveraction I like being in control.. :wink:
Most automatic cars I know of are slower and thirstier than manual models plus you can't roll start an automatic when the battery is flat.
If you take your test in an auto, you are not qualified to drive a manual by law.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Manual for me.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I prefer manual, but on my old (1983) truck, I was told replacing the automatic transmission with a rebuilt one would only cost $300 or so if it ever failed, so I guess automatics aren't necessarily as expensive to fix as I feared - of course that is an old 'generic' one....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yep I like to shift my truck,car,motorcycle,atv,leverguns,and single actions. Something about running through the gears.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Haven`t had a manual for a few years now, last was in a 76 Corvette.
Had a 76 Ford pickup with a four speed I really liked but it finally died from rust, had a 54 Chev car in the service with three on the tree heck a lot of kids probably don`t even know what that is.
But the neatest was a 1950 Dodge pickup with a four speed with granny gear and fluid coupler tranny, great grouse hunting truck ya could poke along slow in granny and hit the brake and stop without using the clutch then give her gas and go again.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pitchy, I remember those "Fluid Drive" Chrysler products. Too, I remember the Chevy vacuum shift that never worked right after it was a few years old.

Still have my GMC one ton with the crane on it that's a 4 speed. 5 tractors and 4 motorcycles that are standard shift. My old 49 Chevy pickup was a 4 speed when I got it back in '61 but it has a 700 R4 in it now. That is only the 4th tranny that's been in it. None of them really failed, I just wanted to update it except for the original that I broke the ears off the case when the driveshaft twisted in two. Yeah, I was hot-roddin' it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes
5 speed in my Sunbeam V6 Alpine roadster and 8 speed in my 1984 John Deere. :D

Last edited by crs on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm non-denominational :wink:

I have both manually-operated and auto-loading firearms, long & short; and a standard-shift truck (Ford Ranger) that gets about the same use as my SUV (Ford Escape).

I'd like to buy a sedan soon, and if/when I do it'll have an auto transmission. (the older I get, the lazier)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I think auto transmissions are nice especially in cities like Duluth that has steep hills with stop lights.
Motorcycle doesn`t bother me anywhere or of coarse my 1954 JD. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My daily driver is a '69 Chevy Suburban and it's an automatic. Probably good since I haul with it occasionally and an automatic works better than a stick for hauling. But my car is a '63 Falcon with a Super T10 4 speed and I love driving the stick. Can't imagine ever having a automatic in it. My '37 Austin is a combination. An automatic, but a manual shift automatic, so it requires shifting, but clutchless.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When I bought My '05 Jeep Liberty I had to have the 6 speed stick. All I could re-meber was how simple life was with clutch and shifter. all was good till a few years ago, started shifting hard. the hydraulic clutch unit was going south. Jeep would only service it as a complete factory sealed unit to the tune of over $300.00 plus lots of $$ for labor. the master cylinder is jammed up in the corner of the firewall right next to the fender, behind the battery and computer. My Son helped Me and we are now Jeep liberty hydraulic clutch experts. :shock: :o .nothing is easy anymore.
All this started in late October so I went and bought a Subaru Forrester. with an automatic. I only use the Jeep anymore for hauling the trailer.
The parts Guy at Jeep laughed and repeated: Just Empty Entire Pocket.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I ordered my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 6-speed, still have it. Also have a 2003 Ford F150 with 5-speed. I have 2 cars, both are automatic. If I was driving mostly in the city I would not order a manual again.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Oh heck I forgot about my model A snowmobile.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My "cars" are a '55 210 sedan, has been powered by three engine/trans combinations, a 283 & powerglide, a 427 & T-10 4 spd, and now a 350 & 700R4; the other's a '91 Camaro, and still has the 305 & 5-speed manual, but I'm saving pennies to upgrade to a ZZ6 & T-56 manual... The p/u's (running ones at least), both have automatics. Anymore, it seems you have to order a manual in a p/u, nobody wants to stock a non-seller... Two prior manual p/u's were: a '74 ½-T, 4WD, the only option it had was power steering. It was a great truck, but it'd sat on the dealer's showroom for over a year, it seemed that nobody in SoCal was interested in a 350 & compound low manual 4-spd combination. I put over 130,000 on it in the 3 years I owned it... and a '64 ¾-T with a 292 I-6 & the same trans. I swapped out the in-line 6 for a 350 V-8. My 1st p/u was a '59 ½-T with a 335 Hemi & 3-spd manual w/a fluid clutch... only had to use the clutch to get it in 1st or reverse. My favorite car I ever owned was a '50 sedan delivery, purchased for the princely sum of $25. The 6 & 3-spd was swapped out before I ever drove (except for the trip back from Iowa) it, for a 302 & 4-spd from a '69 Z-28.

Then again, my daily driver has a 13-spd manual...

PItchy, LOVE the snowmobile!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Griff, I don`t have it anymore but it was a lot of fun had shies for the front too and used to take it on the lake fishing.
One time I drove it way back in the hills by myself on old logging roads, went to turn around backed it into the deep snow and got it hung up in the middle.
Bored around trying to get out and sheared the key way on the axle so it was all over but the crying.
Walked out a few miles and got my MC JD crawler fired up picked up my neighbor and went back and pulled her out, quite a day and called for a beer.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.45colt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am
the hydraulic clutch unit was going south.

My Son helped Me and we are now Jeep liberty hydraulic clutch experts. :shock: :o .nothing is easy anymore.

Boy, does that ever take me back to my hot-rodding days in the late 50's ! !

A friend wanted my help in shoe-horning a Chrysler hemi into his 6-cyl Plymouth convertible, and everything went well until we ended up with no room for clutch linkage. :o

My solution was for him to buy a Jeep hydraulic clutch master & slave cylinder - the flexible hydraulic line just slid in there as slick as a green snake..... :mrgreen:

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I deliver propane 5 to 7 days a week, some times up to 30 stops a day, it has a 10 speed transmission
my pickup has a auto in it & am liking it more & more LOL
still I like my SA revolvers & Lever guns best of all!

Brad
spaghetti
Levergunner

Post by spaghetti »

I owned four vehicles with manuals, and drove tractors while working on farms as a teenager.
Enjoyed driving them but now I'm old and lazy and prefer the automatics.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Pete44ru wrote:"My solution was for him to buy a Jeep hydraulic clutch master & slave cylinder - the flexible hydraulic line just slid in there as slick as a green snake.." Glad it worked for You Pete. the lower slave cylinder if You can find it is sold today without a bleeder valve on it. so when air is trapped in the line to the master it is impossible to get it out. And today the whole thing is like a voodoo curse.....no one knows Nuthin bout them MON..... :lol: I was going to junk the thing but once it sat over the loooong Ohio winter I started it up and it shifted like the day I bought it. took 5 months but the air in the line must have come to the top.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had lots of both. My current, and maybe the last, pickup is a '17 F250 with the gasoline engine. The 6-speed auto is rated for way more towing and hauling and is giving me 18mpg on level road @ <60 mph. A day trip back and forth across the Cascades averages 17 and an RCH mpg.... All I can say is WOW, this is my 4th F250 and the best by far mpg, including a 2010 POP (pile of pelosi) PowerStroke,
I've ever had. Hope to put a camper on it this year.
Last edited by Blaine on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

BTT for pix added of roadster and tractor.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm BTT for pix added of roadster and tractor.
I BADLY wanted a Sunbeam Tiger long, long ago when a Buck Sergeant could afford one. But, all my stuff wouldn't fit in it...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

97 Ram 2500 NV4500 5spd
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

2005 f350 superduty has an auto (has a blown head gasket until this weekend too) my 2009 mustang GT 408 horses to the rear tires and A STICK. My 1966 mustang pro street coupe 351 Cleveland 33x19.5x15 tires with two stages of Nitrous, manual shifted only automatic.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

The only time I hate my stick shift is when I am eating an ice cream cone!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JHarold wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pmThe only time I hate my stick shift is when I am eating an ice cream cone!
:lol: :lol: BTDT!!! All my "new" vehicles have automatics, and cup holders! Why ain't there any in those old cars?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

2016 stang.jpg
\
2016 Mustang GT premium 6 speed manual.....
I wish I could sneak this on the track.......

2003 F350 in the background has an automatic,..... which I prefer in my trucks.....
Its just easier for me when I am pulling a load....
and 4 cup holders in front! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My clutchless stick shift '37 Austin. 355 SBC with twin Holleys on a Pro Dominator tunnel ram:

My Falcon with 468 BBC Super T10 4 speed:

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I learned to drive on a 1958 Ford F100 with a 3 on the tree. The transmission was non-synchronized between first and second gear. I learned how to double clutch.

Used to have a stick shift in a car, but PillHer tried to learn to drive it. She broke the transmission and a couple of other parts in 1 day. We got it fixed, and she decided to drive it one day when I was not around. We replaced the transmission and 2 half shafts again. She swore she would learn to drive it. It was cheaper to sell it and buy a car with an automatic. She had her own car at the time. She never could get her legs to work independently.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

lazarus870 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 amSomething about manually operating well-designed mechanical devices, be it cars or guns.
Agreed, and it's one of the reasons I prefer a revolver to a semi-automatic pistol.

I've only owned manual transmissions, but it's getting hard to justify. It used to be you paid less money to get a car with better fuel mileage and better acceleration. Now you get worse mileage and lower acceleration and sometimes for the same price. The acceleration doesn't bother me, but the often poorly chosen gear ratios today needlessly lead to higher fuel bills, and that really irks me.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In one minivan which PillHer used to have, the automatic transmission would occasionally have a situation where it didn't seem to know what gear to be in. It was quite annoying when it would shift up or down every few seconds while on a gentle slope while just maintaining a constant speed. She usually had to increase or decrease her speed by 5 miles per hour to get it to quit. On a manual, that wouldn't have been an issue. It was just a gear ratio which didn't favor 30 mph and an upward slope, but it was annoying.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am Oh heck I forgot about my model A snowmobile.

That's neat bud! A buddy's father in law has a couple of those all restored. They have skis in front too.

My current 2014 Dodge is the only auto I've had. I always drove standards. My jeep still is.
I will say, since most new vehicles have gone to throttle by wire, driving a standard ain't what it used to be. The throttle lag just seems to throw the rhythm off. To me at least.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Jay, had a lot of fun with it, it had a lot of lag here and there too. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

72 Bronco... modified from 3 speed on column to ...4 speed stick on the floor :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Besides tractors...my wife's 67 MGB is the only thing on the place with a manual trans.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Heck the company I work for now even has tractor trailers with automatics in them. No more road rangers for me. The last F-150 I bought in 2012 had an automatic in it and it's a good thing. If not I wouldn't be able to drive yet. This shoulder surgery has made me change a lot of things.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Rusty wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm Heck the company I work for now even has tractor trailers with automatics in them. No more road rangers for me. The last F-150 I bought in 2012 had an automatic in it and it's a good thing. If not I wouldn't be able to drive yet. This shoulder surgery has made me change a lot of things.
I was going to make a similar point.

I used to dislike automatic transmissions, over time, Ive had several automatics by happenstance when needing a vehicle. I stuck my knife in my leg once, and was glad I didnt have to deal with a clutch right then. The two times I broke my right foot, similar situation, I could drive left footed only fairly easily. After my back injury, I probably wouldnt be able to drive at all if I had to push a clutch in, and after shoulder surgery, I wouldnt have been able to shift for several months. Whatever perceived or imagined benefits of standard transmissions, I'm completely over thinking I want one for any reason. Now, when looking for used vehicles, I choose automatic transmission only. Zero interest in a standard transmission. :)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Yes, I prefer manuals, especially in snow and ice. Much more control. And I still prefer manual hubs and shifter on my four-wheel-drives.

2008 Ford Ranger 5-speed (my daily driver)
2011 Jeep Patriot 5-speed (wife's daily driver)
2003 F250 Superduty 7.3 Diesel (camping, towing, hauling truck)

It's interesting to see how many folks here are clutch-pushers.
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

My wife and I both drive standard transmission cars. We have two VWs and one Mini Cooper and all are manual. There is at least one down side to these, though. My wife broke her left ankle last week....... Guess the rest does not to be explained! :cry:
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Had a ‘88 Beretta and now ‘07 Cobalt in stick. Never had to replace the clutch/trany. I like it this allows more control compared to auto, mind you I don’t have any traction aids. I suspect that the next vehicle no matter who makes it will be auto only and the industry will force this on us as per government edict on mpg numbers. So enjoy while you can because in the next decade they are going away!
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Yes '94 Jeep Cherokee.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

crs wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 am Yes
5 speed in my Sunbeam V6 Alpine roadster

Okay, I know the Sunbeams came with a 4 banger with the exception of the Tiger which had a Ford V8. I'm guessing your Sunbeam V6 is a custom job? What make of V6?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My dislike of automatic transmissions I think is genetic, my dad hated auto trans. I learned to drive in a 4 speed standard trans '71 VW Van. 40 something years later still driving a standard this time since 2004 a Nissan Frontier 4x4 5 speed.

The only auto loaders I own now are all 22LRs. Got rid of my Mini-14 because being a reloader I hated looking for my brass in the grass every time I fired a round, hard to concentrate on shooting when after every shot I'm trying to make a mental note of where the brass just landed. I also love my wheel guns and lever guns.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ji,
Thanks for asking. Thinking of Hawaii, I would like to drive my Alpine on Kauai where there are so many nice views and such curvy and hilly roads.

V6 is a hopped up 2.8 liter Ford. Way over kill for the light Alpine, but it sounds good and is very FAST! Has a 5 speed Mustang tranny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

my Right Hand Drive Dihatsu Mini Truck has a left hand manual transmission.

I actually prefer it to Left hand drive, Right shift manual.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well .. I used to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...