Military 1911 to be Released

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Military 1911 to be Released

Post by jkbrea »

I just read where surplus 1911's will be sold through CMP if President Trump signs off on it. That would be awesome. No prices set yet though. I remember seeing crates of new 1911's still in grease when I was an MP in Germany. Always wondered what happened to them when they switched to Berettas after I got out. I do remember my issued one was an Ithica and another a Remington. This would never have even been a thought in the last administration.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/01/05/ ... kpile.html
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Military 1911 to be Released

Post by 2ndovc »

Very much looking forward to these. I can't wait to hear how they will be priced and conditions of them as well.

Need to replace a couple.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I had an email from CMP Sales a couple weeks ago, they are still getting the rules lined out. No prices yet. Was pleased to note they will only sell one per customer, eliminating the resellers, hoarders and speculators to a large extent.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm pleased...?

As a guy who had to deal with Armory 1911s and M3's... these are perfect "tweaker" guns... but are otherwise boat anchors.

None of the barrels will be worth a damg except as a smoothbore straw,

The slide will need to be squeezed. The ramp will need to be polished/relieved.

Yeah, I'm happy that rebuild stock will be available for relatively cheap, but still... a loose '40s Remington Rand is really no different than a Norinco or Phillipino modern gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I read an article today on the CMP site and they are saying they think the guns may start in the 1000.00 dollar range. I wonder how many Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 all the experts have worn out. We have three in the family now and could not ask for a more reliable, dependable shooter. They will handle every kind of ammo we have used. I had an Ithica from the DMC in 1963, it was a good shooter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Old Ironsights wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm
... a loose '40s Remington Rand is really no different than a Norinco or Phillipino modern gun...
...except for the historical significance. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:02 pm Very much looking forward to these. I can't wait to hear how they will be priced and conditions of them as well.

jb 8)
+1

All of my 1911's are commercial models. I'd like to pick up one nice, shootable military model! :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:02 pm Very much looking forward to these. I can't wait to hear how they will be priced and conditions of them as well.

jb 8)
The sad part is you won't be able to go into the store (since you're so close) and buy one.
They expect demand to be so high that (like jnyork said) they are limiting one per customer and it will be a lottery. And 2 background checks.
I'd still like to have one....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Anyone buying one of these CMP 1911's isn't buying it because they think they'll be super accurate. They are collectors and have no illusions about their accuracy. They want a piece of history, and that's what they'll be paying for. If they're smart they'll keep the gun, box, and any paperwork that comes with them, as it all adds to the gun's provenance over time.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm Anyone buying one of these CMP 1911's isn't buying it because they think they'll be super accurate. They are collectors and have no illusions about their accuracy. They want a piece of history, and that's what they'll be paying for. If they're smart they'll keep the gun, box, and any paperwork that comes with them, as it all adds to the gun's provenance over time.
Bingo!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pmAnyone buying one of these CMP 1911's isn't buying it because they think they'll be super accurate. They are collectors and have no illusions about their accuracy. They want a piece of history, and that's what they'll be paying for. If they're smart they'll keep the gun, box, and any paperwork that comes with them, as it all adds to the gun's provenance over time.
Bingo! jb 8)
Double Bingo!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Oh for the days of the mid sixties ! My dad got one from the DCM for the outrageous price of $12.50.. Trying to talk my brother out of it for a fair price. History and sentimental all in one. :mrgreen: Lost the box but has the original papers with it .
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hi, no old ancient GI 1911 technology for me, you guys can have mine 8) . Just received my new Sig Sauer P320 three months ago. I have the frames and the magazines to switch between a P-320 Compact (15-round mag) or a P-320 Carry (compact slide with a 17-round mag). I really like the module concept of this firearm, I definitely can see why the US ARMY chose this weapon system. LE price was $419.00 for initial auto. All done with Glock too served me well since 1996, but I shoot the P-320 better... :)
sig sauer p320 compact 9mm.jpg
sig sauer p320 carry 9mm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW:

1) On a given day, CMP will price the guns according to rarity and condition (by whatever standard that means).

2) CMP is not going to start selling any until they get 10,000 'individual' orders.

3) "We" the people already bought and paid for these 1911's.

4) CMP (a privately-owned company) is getting these guns by donation, with their only costs being handling, etc.

5) Proceeds from CMP sales support the civilian marksmanship program.

While I applaud supporting the CMP, I would rather donate directly than go through all the hoops & hassle of buying a rebuilt, non-matching, milsurp 1911.

YMMV, of course.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Those old loose worn-out 1911's can still shoot if you handload for them. I bought a WW1 1911 back about 1962. Paid a huge price for it .. around $40!! The bore was pretty worn. The gun rattled loosely. Dad made up some handloads for me and I sat down and fired this 5-shot group at 25 yards with it, resting the gun across my knees. How I wish I had young eyes again!