Shot a heifer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Shot a heifer

Post by earlmck »

For the past several years I have been getting this cow elk tag which is good until the end of December but is only valid for a friend's 800 acres out east of town. So I drive out occasionally, make a couple hour circle, see that there are "no elk today" and so cut a little firewood and go home. Then about the middle of December we got enough rain/snow I could no longer get to the firewood spot so had to make a genuine "hunt". Last Friday (the last day we were going to hunt) my friend Butch who is my usual "partner in crime" and I had made our larger elk-hunting circle and determined that the elk had been there in large numbers a few hours before we arrived but had exited our friend's property and headed east. Sitting happily there in the cab of the pickup with beer and peanuts and philosophy (Bill in Oregon knows how we do this) and that herd of elk began showing up in our view, headed back our way.

We wanted a fat calf because they are so tasty, but no calves to be seen out in the front of the herd (from the tracks we had seen earlier this was a herd of something over 50 animals so I'm sure there were calves back there somewhere). Danged lead cow seemed "interested" in us, so I looked for the smallest cow I could see that was presenting a nice shot and plunked her. (Sav 99 in 260 Remington that was rebarreled from an 308 a few years ago). Sorry -- I don't have a picture but it looks just like this one which is still in 308
308Sav998720.jpg
. I'd normally take a pic of the real thing but granddaughter with a school project has my camera borrowed.

Anyway, my "cow" turns out to be a 2-yr old animal which hadn't yet had a calf. Out in these parts that makes her a heifer. Tasty heifer, as I sampled some marinated round steak last night and it passes the taste test in fine fashion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Shot a heifer

Post by piller »

Sounds good. Hope all pf the meat is tasty. The fact that you took it with a levergun just makes it all the better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most excellent! In addition to the successful hunt, I know for a fact that two hunting buddies, fueled with a little beer, can solve the world's problems in 10 hours or less. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That's Great News !! Enjoy, what a way to start the New Year. :D :D :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's something I'll never do. Sure glad you got a young cow with a lever gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings and Congratulations !
Popping a heifer with a Savage sounds like a right fine way to put a pardner to work. Amazing how a 260 from a lever flipper can get the job done.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Congratulations Earl! That 2 yr. old should provide some great meat for the table!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congratulations 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice work !

The only Elk hereabouts are in the zoo...........Hmmmmmmm. ;)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, that's just excellent news! Maybe I should try having beer and peanuts and see if the elk will come to me. Elk sign all over up int eh Sacramentos today, but I was hunting fossils. Found some.

:lol:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Happy for you Earl. I know you'll enjoy that meat and the feeling of accomplishment from harvesting it.

I was in a local gun shop just after Christmas on some other business and noticed a couple of 99s in the rack. I picked one with a schnabel fore end and he got it out of the rack for me. Must be 90% + with a Lyman receiver sight and in 300 Savage. Not the correct sight because they whittled on the stock installing it. Asking $575. I don't know, if I can get him down below 5 I might be interested.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you but you wanna watch using that peashooter on elk, why that bullet could of bounced back and harmed you!!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here I thought I would have to move this over to the "Political" section. When I read "heifer", I just naturally assumed you were talking about Roseanne Barr or Rosie O'Donnell! :lol:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Good deal on getting a elk!! never have shot a calve but not for trying, seems some thing bigger was always in the way
so had too settle on a heifer which was never a bad choice

Brad
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Good going Earl! I didn't post it but shot a bull calf on my last morning on a New Mexico cow hunt. They are fit to eat! I didn't have the cool facter of a Savage 99. I used my .338 Ruger but the result was the same.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nath wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:42 am Good for you but you wanna watch using that peashooter on elk, why that bullet could of bounced back and harmed you!!
Yeah Nath, that's why I was looking for a small and tender one to shoot :D

Just finished getting everything packaged up -- any of you levergunners happen to stop by Prineville we'll grill up a little of this girl. I could use a little help: the wife won't eat any meat that doesn't come from the store sitting on a styrofoam tray wrapped in cellophane.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm Most excellent! In addition to the successful hunt, I know for a fact that two hunting buddies, fueled with a little beer, can solve the world's problems in 10 hours or less. 8)
3 or 4 hunting pards can do it in less... Or start WW3!!! A few times, I think be both started and ended WW3 in the few days were actually out hunting! Congrats on a fine, successful hunt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

earlmck wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:08 am
Nath wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:42 am Good for you but you wanna watch using that peashooter on elk, why that bullet could of bounced back and harmed you!!
Yeah Nath, that's why I was looking for a small and tender one to shoot :D

Just finished getting everything packaged up -- any of you levergunners happen to stop by Prineville we'll grill up a little of this girl. I could use a little help: the wife won't eat any meat that doesn't come from the store sitting on a styrofoam tray wrapped in cellophane.
My Mrs is the same friend :?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, she won't ever chew on a piece of elk jerky?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats Earl, and nice rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

When i was in high school shooting a heifer had a different meaning
😜
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40