Instant pot, anyone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Instant pot, anyone?

Post by wecsoger »

No, not a speedy delivery of something green or leafy. (grin)

Our kidlets got us one for Christmas, so now we are part of the culinary fad sweeping the country. Or cult, from what I've been reading.

Wife and I did up black beans and rice last night, turned out well, and took less than an hour. Took some time because we actually read *all* the instructions, since, well, this is also a pressure cooker. (we like our ceilings un-splattered!)

Beans 'n rice turned out well, and that was without soaking the beans. Cooked the beans, sauteed veggies, added rice and all back together, all in one pot.

Anyone else got one?
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Instant pot, anyone?

Post by TWHBC »

Sounds nice! 😀
Closest we have is a Crock-Pot, which involves a longer cooking time!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Esperanza has a Farberware pressure/slow cooker that she makes lots of good stuff with. I couldn't figure out how to let the steam off so I leave it alone.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

A couple years back my wife wanted a rice cooker with a stainless steel inner pot (us Hawaiians we LOVE our rice), and after reading sevral reviews I got her a Instant Pot. We mainly use for cooking plain old medium grain white rice but it works well for that as well as brown rice and other grains and beans. I know it works as a slow-cooker and also as a pressure cooker so a very versatile piece of kitchen equipment. YouTube has several channels dedicated to ther Instant Pot with some great recipe ideas. One of my favorites is this gal's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1rhv_ ... Hf4tZUBoJg
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Made me think of the time as a kid I sent the better part of a chicken out though the little lead plugged hole in the top of my mothers pressure cooker. Shredded chicken mush all over the kitchen. She never asked me to anything other than to kill and bring her the chicken after that.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

We have one and are quite impressed with it.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have one. Beans and rice is quick in it. Stew, soup, roast beef, roast pork, chicken chili, jambalaya, and a bunch of other stuff has been made in it. The time savings are worth it. I don't have to plan the meals and start in the morning. PillHer is still not sure of what she thinks about it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never heard of them, so had to do a search just to see what it was. A mini pressure cooker!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, a pressure cooker. They typically are 6 quarts, but come in 8 quarts too. Several settings, and some are WiFi enabled so that you can set it with your phone. Easily replaced silicone sealing rings, pressure release valve, and a few other good ideas. Ours works well.
D. Brian Casady
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Our crock pot kicked the bucket, which is good cause I really don't care for slow cooker meals, but thats probably my wifes fault, lol, but she thinks we need one, Someone on another forum mentioned Instant Pots so I looked them up, seems impressive, but there were quite a few bad reviews on them.
Anyone have any complaints on theirs?

The best slow cooker I have is a cast iron Dutch Oven in a low oven. My son calls crock pot food liquid meat. :lol:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

My, we are an interesting bunch here.

Thanks for link, I followed that and have been looking about for other recipes.

As one poster pointed out, it's a pressure cooker, but also combo unit so you get more use out of it.

I can see it really being useful for dinners. It's a 'Good Thing(tm)' anytime you can do a full beans 'n rice recipe (without overnight soaking) in under an hour.

Next up, I saw a gumbo recipe I'm going to take a swing at. My local guy has stew beef, I imagine they'll be tender. Hmmm, chicken and noodles?

My wife and I are officially 'foodies', not the pretentious hipster kind but we're really darn tired of about every fast food and restaurant dish. We'll go out to eat either to test a dish or get something that's just not worth our time to do at home.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Closest thing that I have to a complaint is that I hardly get a chance at the leftovers. They get scarfed while I am at work.
D. Brian Casady
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I asked my wife if she wanted one before Christmas. She and I both did some research online about them. We have friends and family that have them. After looking at them we just don't need something like that as it doesn't fit out lifestyle. I make rice in a plain saucepan on the stovetop which is the same way we fix our beans. We are getting older and are trying to cut out what we have not add to it. If you have one and like it I'm happy for you, it's just not for us.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.