Shingles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Shingles

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had the G..D M..F S..O..B shingles pop out on my right side ribs Christmas Eve night !

I had the chicken pox just about 50 years ago :roll:

Came in from hunting cooked dinner took a shower got out to dry off and there they were . Kinda screwed up my hunting plans for the last week , think Ill try and hit it tomorrow afternoon .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shingles

Post by 6pt-sika »

I picked up a nice early Xmas gift for myself about a week before Xmas . A circa 1970 Browning A-5 Lite 20 26" vent rib IC that's about 98.5% and ive not shot it yet . I got a almost as nice circa 1968 Browning A-5 12 gauge Magnum 28" vent Modified a few days later . I have been able to pattern that one with 00 Buck both 2 3/4" and 3" as well as 3" slugs . But since I've not been hunting I've been unable to try and blood the old A-5 :roll:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I hope the shingles clear up quickly, I'm stuck at home with a stinking bug of some sort..... :evil:
Nice find on the 20ga........ :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:40 am I hope the shingles clear up quickly, I'm stuck at home with a stinking bug of some sort..... :evil:
Nice find on the 20ga........ :mrgreen:
Me too now, I feel like a myxomatosis infected rabbit!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Hope the shingles clear up too, Great find on the browning . I have been pretty interested in the Browning A-5 since I picked up a Franchi AL-48 20ga a few years ago . I sure wish I had paid more attention years ago. :oops: .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

After I made the original post I looked out the window and could tell it was snowing . So I was outside and at my tree by 06:15 legal shooting time was about 06:55 and I am still up the tree it's 19 degrees Fahrenheit. I'll stay until 10 I think . My shingles patch is starting to crust over and it itches little and not overly sore .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I believe and I could be wrong , but I think my pooring peroxide on the shingle blisters every day after I shower and then coating with calamine lotion helped a good bit . The peroxide to help dry the blister spots and the calamine to cut down on the itching . The fact that it's the cold time of year didn't hurt either I think.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

After watching my wife go through a Shingles episode a few years ago we both got the shot which makes
a possible first or second episode much much milder. I just had my first episode with shingles, but because
of the shot they were very mild and manageable. I would recommend the shot, even though it is somewhat
expensive, medicare pays for some of it. My wife had a return episode and it was minor compared to the
earlier go around with them.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

The Shingles shot is just a modified chicken pox vaccine, isn't it. So why not just get another chickenpox vaccine ($) instead of the Shingles vaccine ($$$)?

I had Shingles not that long ago. What really provided relief for me, was taking hydrocortisone(sp?) cream and mixing it with Anbesol/Oragel or some other stuff that is used to numb gums, in about a 3/1 ratio ish and spread that on the affected area. Really takes away the itch. Episode lasted about 10 days to 2 weeks.

Friend of my Grandfathers had it back in the 70's, poor guy. His entire head was covered with the rash.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was fortunate, in that when I had shingles on April Fools Day 2001 (warmer weather than now), it appeared on the side of my neck, just below where my nerve(s) were removed during neck surgery earlier that year.

I felt zero pain from the shingles, just a little heat in the area, but it took about a week to disappear.

A month or so later, I got the shingles vaccine from my local VA Medical Center (where I went when I first had the shingles) which didn't cost me a red cent.

It was a little amusing, since the VA cancelled/rescheduled a few appointments I had soon after the shingles onset, as I was considered too contagious to be in a waiting room (etc) withthe other vets.

Years before , my MOM had shingles on her side (also in warm weather) , and also treated it with peroxide & calamine - but said she was in pain throughout, for the several weeks she was effected.

I hope you recover swiftly - I'm sure being outside in the cold helps quite a bit.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Get the shot! I've seen some folks really suffer from the shingles. As soon as the vaccine became available I lined up for it. Mine was covered by insurance so I don't know the cost, but I'm pretty sure, like most vaccines, it's well worth the cost.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I got it about 6 years ago. Thought it was a horsefly bite on the back of my balt pate. Got some antiviral Rx and then a compounding Pharmacist mixed up a tube of Shingles Cream and between the two my outbreak never got larger than a $.50 piece.

http://www.rushmorecompoundingpharmacy. ... lmedicines
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Shingles is never good. Had my first flare up 6 or 7 years ago around half my waist. took a couple of weeks to clear up, A week after that , i had it inside my right eye, real painful. Doc scraped surface of the eye to try and get medication to the spot.After the numbing agent wore off things got even worse. eye got better after 3 weeks, then had another repeat eye shingles infection within two weeks. Doc's said it was just coincidences, which i very much doubt.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The FDA just approved a NEW shingles vaccine that you can get as young as 50. 2 shot vaccine. My doc is a day older than me and said we should both wait until mid summer after 1,000,000 or so people have had it just in case of side effects. His opinion is that this new one is a big winner.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry for your luck man. That can be some bad stuff.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Had them bout 25 years ago when I was cutting logs, it was winter time & very miserable, but when I got home & took a shower
that's when the blow torch went to broil!! didn't know it could repeat its self @##$%%%^& dang!!

Brad
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 pm Sorry for your luck man. That can be some bad stuff.
Actually it hasn't been as bad or atleast I thought as a lot of people say . The worst part I thought was just being tired I slept a lot the 25th thru the 29th .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

ollogger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am Had them bout 25 years ago when I was cutting logs, it was winter time & very miserable, but when I got home & took a shower
that's when the blow torch went to broil!! didn't know it could repeat its self @##$%%%^& dang!!

Brad
The peroxide right after the shower seems to curb that somewhat . And after drying the calamine seems to help a good bit with the ithching .
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 am
ollogger wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:55 am Had them bout 25 years ago when I was cutting logs, it was winter time & very miserable, but when I got home & took a shower

Brad
The peroxide right after the shower seems to curb that somewhat . And after drying the calamine seems to help a good bit with the ithching .
yep tried all that, then looked like a rosy pink lumber jack :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

flatnose wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 pm Shingles is never good. Had my first flare up 6 or 7 years ago around half my waist. took a couple of weeks to clear up, A week after that , i had it inside my right eye, real painful. Doc scraped surface of the eye to try and get medication to the spot.After the numbing agent wore off things got even worse. eye got better after 3 weeks, then had another repeat eye shingles infection within two weeks. Doc's said it was just coincidences, which i very much doubt.
You got lucky. Getting it in the eye is usually a freeway to bad vision outcomes.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You can now get 4% lidocaine in the Aspercreme brand. No aspirin in it. Good numbing agent for things like that. For those who can take pain levels which would cause most people to pass out, just put a small amount of capsaicin cream in the middle of the rash. The rash will go away in less than a week, but most people would compare the pain to walking on a broken tibia. Having done both, I would have to agree. The capsaicin cream causes the nerves to burn through the chemical neurotransmitter which sends pain signals faster than it can be produced. It is less painful than using pliers style staplers with a "boxers fracture" about 250 times a day starting the morning after the fracture has occurred. I have done that. Something about burning out all of the pain neurotransmitter causes the shingles to heal quickly. Just don't do it in your eye. Anywhere else you get the shingles is fair game.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Sorry you all got it, a couple friends went thru it, it sounded like a living heck. Good tips for it tho..
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sounds bad, hope it clears up soon.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My dad had a bad case across his abdomen many years ago. And then, when he was dying of H1N1 influenza and pneumonia, the blisters reappeared in his mouth. I wonder to this day why it was God's will that this man who loved his Savior so fiercely had to ensure such a thing just before going home.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

i had them in college. i had just gotten home for summer break. had them on my right hip. mom takes me to her dr. since i don't have one.
her smart-azzz dr. took a look and proceeded to diagnose (verbally) "herpes - simplex - bla bla bla..."

well boys, the look on my mom's face coulda melted your lead - it was real ugly! i'm think'n what the???
the dr. then proceeds to tell us it's not "that kind of herpes"....i coulda smacked that idiot dr.

anyway, i hope my story helped ease the pain a bit.

i feel for ya!!

bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 pm My dad had a bad case across his abdomen many years ago. And then, when he was dying of H1N1 influenza and pneumonia, the blisters reappeared in his mouth. I wonder to this day why it was God's will that this man who loved his Savior so fiercely had to ensure such a thing just before going home.
It could have been Satan testing him one last time. It sure is a harsh test, but your words make me think he passed the test. May he Rest In Peace.

Having dispensed enough pain reliever to shingles patients to fill an Olympic sized pool during my career, I have a pretty good idea of how much it hurts to most people.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost