Expander smaller than cast bullet - huh??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Expander smaller than cast bullet - huh??

Post by JohndeFresno »

In the latest issue of Handloader (HL312, Feb-March 2018) Brian Pearce writes his "Pet Loads" article about "44 S&W Special +P Handloads".

He says on Pg. 47 that "the expander ball should measure at least .003 or (better) .004 inch smaller than the bullet diameter to achieve correct bullet and case neck tension."

Given the problem with shaved lead when the case is not properly expanded, and being one who crimps a bit after seating, what have I been missing here??
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Expander smaller than cast bullet - huh??

Post by gon2shoot »

Neck tension is what holds the bullet in place, a flare keeps it from shaving lead.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Dohhhp! Yes - thanks. Senior moment. Expander ball is in sizer. Of course. Time to take some memory pills. Probably should delete the post!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Even with proper bell on the mouth, I still use larger expanders than he suggests. Brass has some spring back, and I prefer no more than .001" under bullet diameter.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My expanders are smaller than the bullets, but by how much ... I don't know. Enough so that I don't have deformed cases or bullets, but enough that I do have good neck tension.
Perhaps I should measure them?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

He says "loading +P ammo. Probably shooting hard bullets in that load , slow powder,heavy neck tension and crimp needed. I would think .003" would be fine with proper belling at the mouth to prevent lead shaving at seating.

The case expander plug is in the expander die of a three die set. Resize case (die one) ,expand and flair/ bell case (die two)
Seat bullet (die three) , crimp in the third die or as a seperate step.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 pm Even with proper bell on the mouth, I still use larger expanders than he suggests. Brass has some spring back, and I prefer no more than .001" under bullet diameter.
I machine my own for .001 to .0015 under sized bullet dia, so pretty much the same here.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For my heavy loads I do not use an expander. I use a tapered die that only flares the case enough to start the bullet. The cases are left at whatever size the sizing die makes them. I found after a lot of work that this worked best with the 300 gr. bullets with heavy loads. It also worked well with the 454.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's probably the only part of my reloading that could be called slovenly; I use whatever expander plug that RCBS puts in their die set... :P :P But then, I don't shoot loudnboomer manglums... and in my two service weapons... if I could shoot perfect ASC scores with ammo made by inmates... and Lord knows THEY didn't care... I'm not sure it matters in non-magnum chamberings.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

God bless Richard Lee for making the Lee Loader.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:39 pm For my heavy loads I do not use an expander. I use a tapered die that only flares the case enough to start the bullet. The cases are left at whatever size the sizing die makes them. I found after a lot of work that this worked best with the 300 gr. bullets with heavy loads. It also worked well with the 454.
Sometimes a case needs both expanding and belling the case mouth. Even when I expand to fit the bullet, I still have to bell cases since I shoot almost nothing but cast bullets. On one of my .38-55's the groove diameter requires a .383" bullet, and if I don't expand close to that it can detrimentally affect bullet accuracy shoving it into a .379" neck, even after belling the mouth.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/