Best screw driver / tool kit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Best screw driver / tool kit

Post by Plottman »

Hello everyone, I got such good advice from first post, I really appreciate everyone's opinion. I went to install uncle mikes sling swivel
Ring on magazine tube on winchester 1894, instructions seem straightforward . Started to remove forend clamp screw, turned 1.5 times. Screw Head buggered up, I decided I better get a better screw driver set. There are a lot available, I would like to get good set first time. What works best ? Also need assorted replacement screws .?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best screw driver / tool kit

Post by vancelw »

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-89-Piece ... mith+tools

Maybe not the best, but a good value. I have one of these and the non-deluxe version. I keep one in the house and one in the reloading room
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a 'Pachmayr' set a few years ago, but two of the eight broke the tips off without doing anything I had to torque them hard over.

I got a 'Chapman' set before that, with a little ratchet, and they were pretty decent, but the extender wouldn't allow use in tight spaces very well, and I really prefer a non-replaceable-bit type screwdriver anyway.

So......I guess I have the same question. :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Brownells Mag Tip .
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a set of Forster hollow ground screw drivers from real small up to the big one for the stock screw. there is eight of them in the set. I think I got the from Midway several years ago, they are well made.
Plottman do you run Plott hounds?????
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Brownells magna top. They even have sets for the screws on a particular rifle. I have "the.set" for Marlin 1893/336, Winchester 1892/1894, and the Rossi 92.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have the Wheeler kit. It's a good value. Even has a lot of speciality bits for common guns
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

Mr. Jerry B, yes sir on the Plott Hounds, my wife and I raise and hunt Plott hounds, I have been blessed to have married my best friend. She loves to hunt with her Plotts and lever guns.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Another vote for the Brownells

Please, go over here:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... od417.aspx

and check them out.

If you get the bigger sets you'll cry once over the price but they are worth every penny
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

There are a lot of good screwdriver sets out there, just make sure the slot tips are hollow ground and hardened (and you must choose one that fits the slot/screw). From many years of using screwdrivers almost daily, I have come to like screwdrivers with removable tip, mostly so I can toss those that become dull. I have several around my shop but my Snap-On kit is my favorite, and for my gun stuff I can buy Magna-tip or Browning bits.

Chapman, Magna-tip, and Grace are all good "gunsmith" screwdrivers...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Brownells came to mind as soon as I read the first couple sentences of your post. I have had very good luck with them, as others have already attested to.
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Plottman, When I lived in southeast Tennessee there were people that ran Plott hounds for bear dogs and hogs. I haven't heard of any here in Arkansas, though we do have plenty of hogs.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

My dad had a few plotts when I was growing up. One we raised from from birth was a very good coon dog.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

We got our foundation stock from Gene White from Knoxville many years ago, we have big game strain that we use for bears and hogs. we shoot mostly 30-30 at close range. almost always head shots.
Very effective.i do have one 1895 in 06 but with 24 inch barrel hard to maneuver in close quarters.
Thanks for the screw driver recommendations, can i get assorted replacement screws for the ones i have buggered?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Check Brownells or MidwayUSA to start for the screws. There are a bunch of places to get them, but those are the first two which I thought of.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pmBrownells Mag Tip .
+1000. Period. I love their LE handle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just grit your teeth and pony up for the Brownell's fullsize set, a lifetime investment that will serve you very well.

I am a very frugal person, but I learned a long time ago when buying tools, buy the best you can get. Costs more to start with but pays off in the end.
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

FYI, the bits that Brownell's and Snap-On sell in their screwdriver sets are a standard industrial item intended for use in power screw-setting equipment in an assembly line application. Very good material and properly ground. as has been stated but also way cheaper if you have an industrial supply house in your area. I have one that is a private enterprise catering to retail as well as commercial trade. They sell a wide range of replaceable driver bits in single quantities. Grainger's or Fastenal should have the same quality but may require buying in package quantities. McMaster-Carr has them in single quantities https://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver-i ... s/=1axeoil but they are probably as, if not more, pricey as Briwnell/Snap/On.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

I went to midway and brownells, great selection of screw drivers, ordered a set should be here on 1-3-18, as far as screws both midway and brownells offer set for pre 64 winchester 1894. Did not see set for post 64. Am hoping they will work on 1973 model. Both are on back order will call winchester see if I can get fore end band screw from them later in week. Thanks to everyone for comments and support.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

Hello, found complete set and individual screws for post and pre 64 - model 1894 and 94 at Homesteadparts@gmail.com -520-303-3777.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IMHO another reason to shop with Brownells is that all their tools are covered by a lifetime replacement guarantee should any of them break. This is covered by Brownells directly.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Plottman, if you have a need for more parts or screws check with Winchester bobs, I had forgot about him.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I can not recommend the Weaver set. There are too many malformed bits in mine.