Best 44WCF dies?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Best 44WCF dies?

Post by Tanqueray »

Howdy Fellas, hope you all had a blessed Christmas.

I was about to blow my Christmas money on a set of RCBS 18805 dies for my 44WCF ‘92, when I noticed that they’re described as “round nose dies for jacketed bullets” which has put me right off, as I’d be reloading cast. What dies are you lot using in your 44WCF rifles?

Thanks

Mitch
More meplat, more better.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Best 44WCF dies?

Post by Griff »

I don't reload 44WCF, but... I have reloaded 45 Colt for ~43 years. I load about 5 or six different bullets, and two sets of dies, one with a round nose seating stem, one with a round flat nose seating stem and a separate Keith style stem I switch back & forth from my 44Mag dies. IME, RCBS has been very helpful in finding just the right tool for your job, call & ask for Customer Service. They do, however, list a set of dies specifically for jacketed bullets... set #18806. It's also listed as RN, what nose shape are you loading?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Get the RCBS Cowboy dies. They are made specifically for cast lead bullets. They cost around $60 for the 3 die set. I have them for nearly all my levergun calibers and like them very much.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Thanks for the reply guys. My mould drops SWC’s so that’s what I’ll be loading. What’s the deal with the RCBS cowboy dies, just a different seating die?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The RCBS cowboy die set has a slightly larger expander plug made special for cast bullet loading. They are also not bright stainless , but have an old timey looking finish and brass colored locking rings. I believe that internal dimensions are slightly smaller to aid in feeding through leverguns. I have a couple sets. They are very good dies.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I dunno if it's the best, never had anything else, but I been using a set of Lyman dies for almost 30 years, no problems. I remember having to get a .429 expander plug the 1st year, after that, smooth sailing. Loaded thousands of them, no need to switch. I have 7 different 44-40 guns, ammo works great in all of them.
Last edited by veeman on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I too have the RCBS Cowboy dies. It's a 3 die set that uses an expander that flares the case a little. I have to use a Dillon 44 Mag expander because I load .429 bullets on a 550. I recommend the Lee factory crimp die too. When I load black, (which is most of the time) I use an old Dillon measure that has a piece of exhaust pipe for a hopper. Slug your barrel so you'll know what bullets to load for it.
I even use .429 bullets in my old Colts which have .427 bores or a little less. I think a little big is better than too small.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have loaded a couple thousand rounds with Lee dies, cast bullets, never a problem.
Tanqueray
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tanqueray »

Thanks guys, may well get the RCBS cowboy dies then next time brownells send me a discount code! My 1892 slugs out at .429 and I’m sizing my boolits at .430.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Check Brownell's website daily. They are offering free shipping practically every day and often discounts plus free shipping.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

For larger cast it is usually all about the expander die. I use the LEE universal expander with my own manufactured expander plugs optimized for the dia bullet I’m using. The so called expander plugs that come with the LEE die are nothing more than mouth belling plugs. That being said the RCBS cowboy dies are most likely your best choice.