Lyman 310 loading the 44 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Lyman 310 loading the 44 WCF

Post by Ray Newman »

Found this on another site and thought it would be interesting for those Not-In-The-Know 'bout the 310:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oy4MNuhyfE

For 310 tools, parts, etc., see The 310 Shop: http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Lyman 310 loading the 44 WCF

Post by Blaine »

:shock: They seem real proud of them. I've had a Lee hand press for a while. Cheap, and uses normal dies. And, good exercise.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not sure but I think my Dillon to 550 Is slightly quicker. Just being a smarty pants thanks I have reloaded for 37 Years and never actually saw one of them in use start to finish.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one I've actually used a few times for 32-20. Pretty slow, but it works. The only other option that compact is the little Lee mallet-kit, but it seems like there is less to lose with the 310 set, so on the move I guess I'd favor it. The Lee Hand Press is pretty large, but I definitely use it a lot (I do all my depriming on it, and sometimes load a few whole rounds of 357 Mag, 38 Spl and the like), versus the others.

Still, it's fun to use the little portable tools to demonstrate just how BASIC 'reloading' actually can be, if you are just reloading a low-pressure, almost-straight case type round with easily seated bullets.

Then there's the collet-sizing, neck-trimming, micrometer-seating type of reloading, too...... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:06 pm :shock: They seem real proud of them. I've had a Lee hand press for a while. Cheap, and uses normal dies. And, good exercise.
I'll say! :shock: The Lee Hand Press is less than a 1/4th the lowest price of one of the 310 tools, and like Blaine said, the dies are the same ones you use with the standard presses. I've had one for years, and mostly use it to deprime cases (it is a good workout). Though when I was laid up for a month in bed this April, waiting on back surgery, I did load a couple hundred .45 Colt cartridges from depriming to crimping the bullet, and everything in between, just using he Lee Hand Press. Helped take my mind off the pain!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm
BlaineG wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:06 pm :shock: They seem real proud of them. I've had a Lee hand press for a while. Cheap, and uses normal dies. And, good exercise.
I'll say! :shock: The Lee Hand Press is less than a 1/4th the lowest price of one of the 310 tools, and like Blaine said, the dies are the same ones you use with the standard presses. I've had one for years, and mostly use it to deprime cases (it is a good workout). Though when I was laid up for a month in bed this April, waiting on back surgery, I did load a couple hundred .45 Colt cartridges from depriming to crimping the bullet, and everything in between, just using he Lee Hand Press. Helped take my mind off the pain!
I once loaded 100 45-70...After a few, I tried the "Thigh Master" method, and that sure makes it easier. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive used the 310s quite a bit in the past, they are pretty good tools, much better overall than the old Lee Hand tools used with a hammer or mallet.

The prices on the 310 shop site have gone way high, all out of sense. They charge more for current production parts and sets than even Lyman, and they (Lyman) are the highest priced for current production caliber sets. Back when the previous owner had the 310 shop I did quite a bit of business with him, he had pretty good prices. I believe they more than doubled after the new guy bought it.

310s can be bought on ebay, gun shows and other places pretty reasonably at times. Sometimes very reasonably priced. Some time ago bought a box of 310 and Lyman Tru-line Jr dies (same size dies, they have a different priming arrangement) in maybe 5 or 6 or more calibers with odd spare parts for about $40. I bought individual priming dies from Lyman to complete a couple sets for 310 use, and some spare parts. I think priming dies were about $5-$7 or so. The 310s have the Lyman M expander die, which is good for cast bullets, and have seating stems specific to certain Lyman cast bullet mold types (similar to how they have specific nose punches for the luber-sizers) in many calibers. The main downside is they only neck size. Some places have guys that are enthusiasts, and trade parts and sets. I think castboolits has some people swapping 310 stuff.

I take a 310 set in calibers I'm travelling with. Ive reloaded shells many times with them. I also take the RCBS full length size die and can often borrow a friends press to do my sizing if i want to full length size, then complete the loading wherever I am at my leisure.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

To me the best thing about the 310 set up is the priming part of the tool. You can see and feel the primer right into the case perfectly. As for the rest of the reloading sequence, I'd rather use a Lee hand press given the choice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I use a Lee Turrent press - but I never bolted it to a bench, I just use it over my knee like a big hand tool!

I didn't know they still made those, I would like to have one for my .44-40's. I would take that to the range all the time I reckon.
(although its taken so much to get my .44-40 reloading sorted out to my satisfaction I am loath to change anything)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My first reloading experience was helping my dad reload .244 Remington on a Lyman 310 tool. Many years ago he loaned it to a friend and never got it back. :( I still have his Redding scale with factory box that has a $5.00 factory printed price on it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:22 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm
I once loaded 100 45-70...After a few, I tried the "Thigh Master" method, and that sure makes it easier. :lol:
NOW that's a mental image I could have done without! :wink:

Happy New Year Blaine! :D
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"I tried the "Thigh Master" method"

I would be willing to try if Suzanne Somers would demonstrate the technique.
Bryan Austin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bryan Austin »

One of the things I like about the Lyman 310 set for the 44-40 is that it does not over work the brass. It has a very bold two step crimp...first a roll crimp for lead but then a tad further squeeze and it turns the roll crimp into a Lee type factory flat crimp for jacketed bullets or soft lead bullets with no crimp groove. The seating/crimp die likes .429/.430 bullets plus I use a .429 expander die. The 44-40 dies are not good for the Winchester and Remington JSP bullets that are .426 diameter. Works great with Speer and Hornady bullets.

https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/websi ... d-Tool-Kit