An Oldie .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

An Oldie .....

Post by JimT »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: An Oldie .....

Post by AJMD429 »

Great story.

It would be interesting to know where that family is now.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

In 2009 as I was preparing to move to Africa, I received an email. The sender told me that he had read the story and that John Chovan was his neighbor. He included Mr. Chovan's telephone number. I called him and we reconnected after all those years!

It turns out his daughters were doing an internet search on their family name and came across the story on Leverguns!

I spoke with Mr. Chovan several times before we moved. And I kept in touch with his oldest daughter by email. (I still am in touch with her on facebook). Not too long after we moved to Africa she emailed and told me her Dad had passed away.

I was so blessed to be able to speak to him again after all those years and thank him for the kindness he and his family showed us.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My thanks for the service JimT.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jim, you were blessed to meet such fine people.

It was quite common for those of us who were married to "adopt" a few of they younger airmen. A place to go for holidays, their birthday remembered, or just a place to crash that wasn't the barracks. Even had the local Guardia Civil drop off a few who were too drunk to make it back to base.

I watched a couple of those we adopted marry and then adopt others in turn. Young and alone, away from home, is a hard thing to do. A smile goes a long way to making things better. A meal even more so.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:53 pm Jim, you were blessed to meet such fine people.

It was quite common for those of us who were married to "adopt" a few of they younger airmen. A place to go for holidays, their birthday remembered, or just a place to crash that wasn't the barracks. Even had the local Guardia Civil drop off a few who were too drunk to make it back to base. It was our wives that made it all possible.

I watched a couple of those we adopted marry and then adopt others in turn. Young and alone, away from home, is a hard thing to do. A smile goes a long way to making things better. A meal even more so.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is truly heartwarming to know that there are people out there who do things like that. May they be blessed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost