Bully For The 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Bully For The 30-30

Post by cshold »

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bully For The 30-30

Post by JerryB »

Yes, meat in the freezer is a good sign that the 30wcf still take deer. The reloading section is good reading. Thanks !!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Good Read on a fine old cartridge! got a great buy on a bunch of 130 speer fp So now have one 94 that has a short throat
dedicated for that bullet & that load, otherwise I mostly shoot cast bullets

Brad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No use for it but I have more rifles chambered for it than any other cartridge.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 pm...I have more rifles chambered for it than any other cartridge.
Me too! Although, I do admit to a fondness for the cartridge. :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Once heard it claimed the 30 Herett very easily will kill moose and elk; but the 30 WCF is barely adequate for whitetail deer. I just wonder how these ideas come about, other than alcohol probably being involved....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It seems as it might have been mentioned somewhere that I might have heard about. Those rare calibers which have never been used to take any game animal are sort of hard to remember. If anyone had ever used a .30-30 to harvest a deer, it would probably have been mentioned somewhere. Even the gun magazines insist that it takes a minimum of 180 grains at 3,000 fps to have the remote chance of killing a deer. It might be a good idea to cover our tanks in deer skin in order to take advantage of the miraculous bullet resistant properties it has. I am sure it will only be one more generation before deer are just too tough for humans to even have a hope of killing them. Even Snopes.com says there isn't any evidence of deer being killed by anything smaller than the main gun on an M1 Abrams tank. Even the claim that the .30-30 has accounted for more game than any other center fire cartridge just has to be wrong.

If you read too many gun magazines, you might not see the sarcasm dripping from the above words. I like to read about new guns and new cartridges, but the .30-30 is still a capable cartridge. I haven't killed elk or bear with it, but it probably was used within the last week to do that. I have killed a few deer with a Marlin 336C which PillHer later commandeered and had the stock cut down to fit her. I didn't really complain about it because she shoots it well and killed a few deer with it years ago when our kids were little. I did get myself another Marlin to replace it. Hers is more accurate, but when mine still puts every shot into a 4 to 5 inch circle at 100 yards under any condition at all, even under all field conditions I have been in, why should I worry. It has killed 3 deer, and 2 were one shot kills. Hers gives 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench. We only have one apiece, but we don't need more than that. I want more, but as of yet I haven't found any other .30-30 rifles sneaking in to the gun safe. Our Marlins are sort of lonely without a Winchester 94 to talk to.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 pm No use for it but I have more rifles chambered for it than any other cartridge.
i thought about that , and guessed i had more in 45/70 but....... inventory check shows:

rifles in 30 WCF 30/30 treinta treinta

Winch 94 NRA musket

winch 1894 pencil barrel light weight

marlin 1893 SRC

Winch centennial 1894

winch 94 post 64 engraved inlaid

winch 94AE scoped

marlin 336 KT scoped

winch miroku 30/30 short rifle

winch 94 classic OB 26”

savage 219B single shot

staggsbilt 30/30 - 20 ga combo

savage 24 30/30 - 20 ga combo

savage 99 TD 30/30

its a wonderful fun cartridge.... i particularly like loads with 125 -130 gr and also some of the heavier 185,gr loads too
cable
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:59 am Once heard it claimed the 30 Herett very easily will kill moose and elk; but the 30 WCF is barely adequate for whitetail deer. I just wonder how these ideas come about, other than alcohol probably being involved....
I have an uncle (nearing 80) that has killed more deer, hogs, and coons than most people have ever seen. (Probably a high % with a .30-30). I highly respect his outdoorsmanship.
But.....
He killed a coyote with a .17 HMR once and now touts it as the best coyote-killing gun ever made... :D It's hard to keep quiet, but I do think highly of the man..
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mercy sakes, Harold, you surely do own a slug of .30 WCFs, mister!
I am currently between .30-30s, having a .25-35 Tomcat in a Marlin and the .35-30 in a rebored Model 94.
I have a couple of articles by Frank Marshall on cast in the .30 WCF written for the old Cast Bullet Association Journal. If anyone wants to see them, I can scan and e-mail.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

One of these takes a trip through the boiler room = meat in the freezer 👍