So, you think you wanna move to Wyoming?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

So, you think you wanna move to Wyoming?

Post by jnyork »

Here's what you can expect for weather in Wyoming. Note the figures for wind and temperature are the AVERAGE for 24/7 for months !!!!. Better you should stay in sunny California. :roll:

Hey, Answer Girl,

Each Wyomingite says their hometown’s weather is the worst – Cody, Cheyenne, Afton, etc. Which town has the coldest winters? Which town has the most snow? The most wind? — Question Girl

Dear Question Girl,

Chris Jones, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Riverton, researched this question. While there are many ways to look at weather data, Jones pinpointed several Wyoming towns that stand out.

The coldest town in Wyoming is Bondurant, which is located in Hoback Canyon between Jackson and Pinedale. The average temperature in Bondurant for the months of December, January and February is 10.7 degrees. That’s only slightly warmer than in International Falls, Minn., where the average temperature is 7.4 degrees during the same months.

Daniel, which is located east of Pinedale, is the second coldest town in the state with an average temperature of 11.8 degrees from December to January. Big Piney has the third coldest winters in Wyoming with an average temperature of 12.5 from December to January. The town, which is located in Sublette County, was called the Icebox of the Nation starting in 1930 because it had the coldest year-round average temperature in the nation. Today, that slogan is reserved for International Falls, Minn., which won the legal trademark for Icebox of the Nation over Fraser, Colo., in 2008.

The town of Moose, which is located north of Jackson, gets more snow than any other town in Wyoming with an average 172.2 inches per year. Bedford, in the Star Valley, comes is the second snowiest town with 155.9 inches of snow per year, and Moran comes in third with 145 inches of snow.

For wind speeds, Jones looked at records for 19 Wyoming towns dating from 1996 to 2006. Wind speeds are generally recorded at airports, he said. Rawlins is the windiest town in Wyoming, with the wind averaging 12.9 mph. Laramie and Cheyenne tied for the second windiest town in the state with an average wind speed of 12.4 mph. Casper comes in third with an average wind speed of 12 mph.

If you want to escape the wind, head to Worland. It’s the least windy town in Wyoming.

“It sits in the basin and is relatively sheltered,” Jones said.

Its location in the basin also makes it one of the colder towns in the state, he added.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: So, you think you wanna move to Wyoming?

Post by Leverluver »

Hey York, sounds like you are trying to kill the winter tourist trade :lol:

I fly and WY and the wind certainly makes it not the best place for that, but I'm not going to Worland for the cure. That place is too dang hot in the summer. Of course pretty much every place is getting too hot in the summer in WY.

45 years ago the coldest temps announced on the national evening news was almost always from three towns, Frazer, CO, Big Piney, WY and Taylor Park, CO. I can vouch for Taylor Park. One year I guided out of Taylor Park and had a full camp of Houston lawyers. The camp was at 10,000 ft. It snowed like crazy the first day and cleared in the evening...bad ju-ju. It got down to -38 that night. Every tent had a stove in it but the wussies were to cold to get up and put wood (supply in the tent) in the stove. I went around and lit all the stoves, saddled the horses and hauled them all down to the trail head and on into Gunnison for a flight home much to the pleasure of all involved (including me) :roll: That cured me of wanting to go into guiding full time.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A Great place to sell windmills and stock-tank heaters. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

SE Wyo. is not to bad cold wise & doesn't snow all that much, but then I have northern Wis. & Canadian Minn. border
winters to compare it to & believe me that's winter country up there!! the wind blows like a cyclone here at times & gets
hot in the summer, big swings in temps, wed. hi of 63 & today hi of 20 but NO Wind!! all & all if Boots & I could take our jobs & move it would most likely be the Black Hills, lived up there 8 years & loved it!!

Brad
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I like the Encampment and Snowy Range area. The last couple years I have been making rounds there and then through La Barge , Daniel and such.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

:mrgreen:

Isn’t WY a State that doesn’t really want lots more people moving in?

Peace and Quiet. Responsible polite helpful people who behave like adults. Less government infringement. Etc......

Yup. I bet WY is much too cold and windy and inhospitable. Folks should live elsewhere.

Probably some other States are the same way....

;)
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Jerry, don't discourage these fine folks with Wyoming weather reports. I'm trying to sell my Trophy Log home on highway 89 between Daniel and Pigs Hiney, er... big Piney. 35 acres with 1/2 mile highway frontage. Built it in 1995 ..attached garage sheltering the house from the prevailing winds, 300 yd rifle range, turn bench east and shoot 1000 on BLM, no visible neighbor's, BLM on south boundary, ranch on east side in a conservation program (no future neighbors), no covenants, 10 miles to Marbleton/Big Piney (grocery store, gas and booze). Gets a little cold for a month or two. No big deal. Last price before we took it out of Real Estate contract was $359,000. Have pics to e-mail.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

-13 here this morning, had to put wood in the stove early :lol: , love it quiet and calm. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having lived in SouthWestern Kansas, it sounds nice that it is so calm in Wyoming. 15 mph minimum wind speed is normal for the Northern portion of the Llano Estacado. We never bothered until it got over 40 mph. Wyoming does get colder, but the lack of wind might be nice. If you think I am joking, check out the Guinness Book Of World Records for the highest average wind speed.

We still have roads out there which we close when the wind gets up to 50 mph sustained or more. You really should experience 2 hours of solid 50 to 60 miles per hour wind. It gives you an appreciation for those things called trees which don't grow out there. A small town not far from Dodge City, Bucklin, has the slogan "a tree grows in Bucklin!", and it is a brag. When you brag that your town has a tree, you know that there aren't many trees in that area. Heck, even Liberal had to import squirrels about 20 years ago because most people there had never seen one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Puller, been thru Bucklin Ks many times. Part of my "avoid the scale house" route north out of Oklahoma City. Anytime you have to quarry your fence posts from rock, you know there ain't many trees. (Stone Post County).
And, for those that don't travel thru Kansas, Liberal is the name of a town on major crossroads N & S, E & W in western part of the state, not necessarily their political leaning. Couple of good truck stops there IIRC.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I KNOW I don't want to move to Wyoming... but, it's a great place to visit!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Griff wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm I KNOW I don't want to move to Wyoming... but, it's a great place to visit!

Keep visiting, Griff. You are always welcome. Bring money. :lol:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have to agree with Griff. Nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

Oh by the way, Merry Christmas everyone.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I heard a rumor that, except for Jackson Hole, out-of-state liberals haven't ruined Wyoming yet. Good luck to ya.
We had some light, just-kidding snow in Alamogordo this morning, but the skies cleared this afternoon and it is just a big vault of blue out there all the way to Las Cruces and El Paso.
Should be low 60s on Christmas Day and I for one plan to work on my tan, in revenge for all those wet, gloomy Christmases I spent in the Pacific Northwest.

8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Pitchy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:17 am -13 here this morning, had to put wood in the stove early :lol: , love it quiet and calm. 8)
-13...Dang! :shock:......70s today
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I was a Realtor in Lander for quite a few years, had many experiences with outsiders moving in, some good, some not so much. , many of them, sold the home in Kali they paid 50K for back 30 years ago for 650K, come to Wyoming and spend a third of that on a nice place and live off the rest. Running a close second were folks from Seattle area, as well as back East. The people from Kali were especially bad about moving to Wyoming to get away from where they came from, as soon as they get to Wyoming they start in trying to turn Wyoming into Kali. Not everyone was like that, of course, but enough were to make them kinda obnoxious.

It was sometimes hilarious. You would not believe the number of people who wanted a nice country home on top of a hill with a stream running past the house.

One family bought a home out in the country , he wanted to get away from the maddening crowd, so to speak. Found him a place in August or September, they were delighted. They were back in the office to list the place for sale in April. Wasnt the winter that ran them out, it was BOREDOM. He was a retired CHP officer whose career AO had been I-80 between Auburn and the top of the mountains, which has to be an exciting life for a police officer. He couldnt take the laid-back lifestyle of rural Wyoming. They were headed back to Auburn where there was more to do.

In Wyoming, and across the West, we joke around about keeping out the flatlanders and city slickers, sometimes only half-joking, but as long as a person buys into OUR values, OUR culture, OUR way of life, they are welcome. It always helps if your Trump sticker is still on the back of your 4wd pickup, along with the NRA decal. :lol:
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

Wyoming is the ONLY state that has been losing population, according to a story that I recently read (can't remember the source of the story). If true, that tells you a lot about things to consider before moving there. My daughter and family recently moved to from Wyoming, however, and reportedly tolerated the negatives pretty well.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

While in the parts store a while back, I was talking to a Judge, long story short, he says if people are searching to relocate
to a new area they should go visit the court room for the best part of a week to get an idea what really goes on around the area
I got the feeling from him that I want to remain happy & ignorant :o

Brad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I moved to Texas about 20 years ago. There are a few things which I don't necessarily like, but when the plus side is compared to the minus side it is a lot better here. The few things which I am not fond of are things which I can't change and am able to accept as just the way things are here. Would I move here again knowing what I know now? Yes!

Would I like to try Wyoming for a while? Yes I would. It sounds like another place where I could be happy to live.
D. Brian Casady
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

What are the things that you aren't fond of in Texas? And what part of Texas? I was born in north, central Texas, and have had a desire to go back and see what it is like nowadays.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live in the Dallas area. The biggest problem I have is with the way that Stop signs are treated as merely a suggestion, and that Yield signs mean that you are to stomp the accelerator to the floor. I can't change the majority of the drivers behavior, so I have learned to deal with it by being more alert than a cat in a room full of terriers. The other issues are pretty minor, and not worth messing with.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Well, I would like more sidewalks. Quite a few places don't have them. It would be nice to be able to walk more places without having to walk in the road.
D. Brian Casady
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Q: So, you think you wanna move to Wyoming?

A: Yes.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***