I will miss the ash trees....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I will miss the ash trees....

Post by AJMD429 »

Our area is now one of the ones where the ash trees are all dying; none infected (emerald ash borer) 3 years ago, and almost none uninfected now.

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/about-eab.php

Good news - lots of top-quality firewood.

Sad news - no more big ash trees for maybe a century or so. Hopefully someday.

The strategy here is to cut them all down NOW, then there would be no hosts for the bug, which would die out before the seedlings grow big enough to infect. Hope it works.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I will miss the ash trees....

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, feel for you. When I moved to New Mexico from Ashland Oregon this fall, the bronze birch borer was wiping out all the birches too. With trees, you usually plant for the ones to come after you.

:cry:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddy of mine is a forester, probably 5 years ago he saw the writing on the wall and started urging his clients to cut the ash- some listened but most didn't. Our area was hit by disease more than the bugs, Ash yellows, causes the tree stress. Now the bugs are showing up.

For many years, the gypse moth was destroying the old growth oak stands here. Thousands of trees dying each year. Finally a fungus was discovered that was then released into the wind that causes the catapillers guts to fail, killing them. We still have them but now you see them hanging dead on the tree trunks!

Back in the 70's & 80's the government sprayed for the moths, used a broad spectrum insecticide, we didn't have ticks then,now we have more ticks then squirrels!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Oddly enough, the fire ants we have in the Southern States have been noticed for their appetite for ticks. They aren't much good for anything else, but they do keep the tic population in check. Some University is studying a wasp which parasiteisizes (spelling?) the fire ant. Studies show that fire ants have a genetic fear of the wasp. If that wasp could be studied enough to be reasonably sure it wouldn't cause other problems, it might be a big help. Kind of like the fungus which kills the gypsy moth caterpillar.

Seems to me that a lot of insecticides cause more harm than good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As a Fellow Woodworker once said: "The EAB another 'quality' Asian import"....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

More importantly, what are we doing to use to manufacture Fender Strats and Telecaster guitar bodies now? (grin)

Southwest Ohio here, wave went through here couple years ago. Thousands and thousands of trees. I still see some about, but obviously dead.

And another one gone. If you want to get depressed, research all the different types of trees we *don't* have now...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I remember the Dutch Elm Disease from the 50s and 60s...We lost a wonderful 100-year-old in the front yard.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Britain has a problem with a fungus rotting ash trees. :(
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Lots of dead ash here in south east Ohio. What I wonder is, now with the woods full of dead wood, how long has it been since Ohio had a wild fire?
Click Click Boom