The concept of "Merry Christmas"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

The concept of "Merry Christmas"

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This phrase falls from our lips in gushing torrents this time of year, to the point where it loses meaning. But if we pause to think on it, the idea of being merry in this season dates to the original concept of gladness, of joy at learning that the Messiah had been born -- an occasion so grand as to bring smiles to even the saddest human hearts across the great arcs of time and space: "The hopes, the fears of all the years are met in thee tonight," O little town of Bethlehem.
And so I was moved to reach into my bookshelf and take down my copy of William Tyndale's 1534 translation of the New Testament from the original Greek and re-read the Nativity story from the Second Chapter of the Gospel of Luke. Until Tyndale had achieved his all-consuming goal, NO ONE had ever heard this -- or any other passage of the New Testament -- in English. And Tyndale got it perfectly, in words that have continued to shape the English language ever since:

"And there were in the same region shepherds abiding in the field and watching their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord stood hard by them, and the brightness of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid. But the angel said unto them: Be not afraid. For behold, I bring you tidings of great joy that will come to all the people: for unto you is born this day in the city of David a saviour which is Christ the Lord. And take this for a sign: ye shall find the child swaddled and laid in a manger."

Soooo, friends, the "reason for the season" remains a gift of blinding grace to humanity, as fresh today as it was two millennia ago -- and if there were ever a better reason for a joyful and merry heart at Christmas, I cannot think of one. But let us also remember and honor a saint, if there ever was one: William Tyndale. Within 18 months of giving the English-speaking peoples a New Testament they could read and interpret for themselves he was betrayed, imprisoned, strangled and burned at the stake by forces tied to Rome and the Church of England. He was but 42.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The concept of "Merry Christmas"

Post by daisygordoninc »

Thanks for the great reminder of this grand season of joy because God sent Jesus
so we could know Him more fully and by faith have forgiveness.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Bill, different times of the year I turn to Luke chapter two and read it a couple of times just to keep fresh in my mind how my Lord and Saviuor got here..
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
That was enjoyable to read. The "Why" He willingly came is the story ! Praises and Glory we all are included and invited to enter in.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Spot on Bill and thanks for sharing that, yep He is our hope and the only thing on this earth that has real meaning.
Merry Christmas everyone :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can't think of a better reason for joy and happiness.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd argue the origin of the term "Merry" as applied to the Christmas holiday.

In Victorian England, the public celebration of Christmas was nearly abolished because it had become such a raucous occasion for public drunkenness and debauchery. It was during this time that the phrase "Merry Christmas" became popular, as a reference to the affiliated term "To make merry", in modern terms, to "Party Hearty".

It's a day that's certainly worthy of a dignified and thoughtful celebration but not exactly the attitude that one might consider appropriate for application to the Christ's Mass and Holy day.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Bill,
I needed that reminder.
When I got married we spent our honeymoon in NYC and attended the Christmas show at RCA Music Hall. The climax was a living nativity and they had the good sense to just read the second chapter of Luke, KJV. Still a favorite memory.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

FW, agree that "merry" can have the meaning of "slightly tipsy," but the word itself goes back centuries associated with jolly or joyful. Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol" in 1843, the sixth year of Victoria's reign.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mary
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

We Christians had been merrily celebrating Christ's Mass for fifteen centuries prior to 1534.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thank-you, Sir.
It is not the critic who counts