Electronic gun safe fun [not]...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Electronic gun safe fun [not]...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thankfully I got creative when I installed my only electronic-lock gun safe, and installed a mechanical linkage override that could open the safe if the electronics malfunctioned.

Intermittent failures became noticeable over the past couple years, so I looked for replacement parts and of course nothing was an exact match. Since the safe was not my 'rapid-access' one, I didn't worry too much, but finally got locked out for over a week, with my laptop computer in it and some needed projects to work on that were only on my laptop computer.

So I spent the weekend re-doing the safe lockwork, not just installing a new electronic lock, but having to modify the internals to work with the new lock. Worrying about "what if I don't get done on time" because I only have the one 'big' safe and my other small one, so stuff would be unsecured if I didn't get it fixed.

Each time I'd test it before mounting the inner door facing, and it would work, but then I'd install that, do a final test before shutting the door, and then shut the door and work the combination......and......nothing... :?

Then I'd have to use my mechanical override, which is NOT a simple thing due to being concealed and in a different part of the house and still requiring a key and 20 minutes with various hand tools for access....and open everything back up again. Turns out the door innards were binding part of the mechanism. That might be what wore out the original one, actually.

Finally after six sessions with Mr. Dremel, and a dozen colorful language episodes, IT IS DONE....!

....and it WORKS.....!

Now back to the wood splitter......
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Electronic gun safe fun [not]...

Post by Pete44ru »

An excellent example of why I opted out of an electronic locking mechanism, when I was buying a gun safe. (aka: K.I.S.S. ;) )

The older I get, the less I appreciate drama........ :roll:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am .

And excellent example of why I opted out of an electronic locking mechanism, when I was buying a gun safe. (aka: K.I.S.S. ;) )

Same here! None of my safes have electronics.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

"Same here! None of my safes have electronics." +1
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

"Same here! None of my safes have electronics." +1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 amAnd excellent example of why I opted out of an electronic locking mechanism, when I was buying a gun safe. (aka: K.I.S.S. ;) )
+1. It's only now becoming apparent as to just how much foresight I had when I was 32! Or, maybe it was simply a distrust of electronic "stuff"! Or, was it that "1984" was just around the corner? :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:00 am Finally after... a dozen colorful language episodes, IT IS DONE....!
Ayuh, here'ah in Maine we call that... "Liquid Lubrication".

Glad you got rid of that fool device and went old school.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Stop that.

You're a GP, not a Surgeon.

Do you know how hard it is to sterilize a Dremel to CMS/JCo standards?

Grumble...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As the old saying goes: "Been there; done that."

An electronic lock is nothing but a miniature computer and sooner or later, it will fail. When mine failed, I had the old Tried and True mechanical lock installed.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My electric lock has a key backup, behind the keyboard in case it fails. Battery went dead once. It was the only time I used the key to open it. Otherwise the keyboard works great.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 pm My electric lock has a key backup, behind the keyboard in case it fails. Battery went dead once. It was the only time I used the key to open it. Otherwise the keyboard works great.
Yep, 'electronic' is great - IF
. a) there is a failsafe mechanical backup, and
. b) there is enough time for that backup to work...

Electronic 'anti-lock' brakes come to mind - they are set up so that if they fail, the mechanical ones still work within milliseconds. I'm ok with that.

IF the safe in question is just for storing collectibles or hunting guns, no big deal if the electronics fail, just go find your key or whatever.

HOWEVER, if the safe has your primary defense weapon, it needs to have a simple, ALWAYS-working, lock - which precludes anything electronic, or 'fingerprint' technology.

So - our 'need-it-now' handgun safe is VERY simple mechanical mechanism, our 'need-it-soon' long-gun one is a more complex combination lock, and the only 'electronic' one is the 'going hunting tomorrow' one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Power outage early this morning had the entire system out. It took an hour to get everything up and running so that we could actually do business. Just one more piece in the chain of evidence as to why I don't totally trust electronics.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yes my gun safe is for hunting rifles and handguns. I live in the country and don't keep my self defense guns in a safe. My kids are grown so I have no youngsters in the house that I need to keep all guns locked up. Plus it is hard to shoot starlings off the bird feeders if I have to go into the basement and get the 22 out of the safe. It is always in the corner of the living room next to the deck door.