Does anyone else have trouble with the Winchester Model 1894 sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Does anyone else have trouble with the Winchester Model 1894 sights?

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

Hey guys, new to lever guns here...I bought a 1971 Model 1894 Winchester in 30-30 for $450, and I love it. I’m having an issue with the sights, though.

I can get groups, but my shooting is also all over the place. Is it possible that this style of sights poses issues for certain users? If so, is there any recommendations you guys would have for a replacement to the sight that’s on the gun.

It’s this style: https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl ... h%2Fx%2Fim
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Does anyone else have trouble with the Winchester Model 1894 sights?

Post by ollogger »

Hi & welcome from Wyoming!!

In my case its my 62 year old eyes that wont let me see the back sight, my groups are mostly poor at best, a receiver sight
helps a lot but had to learn not to focus on the peep & just let the front sight center its self & fire, have a folding sight that
fits in the dove tail on one 94 and the extra distance from my eye helped along with a sourdough front sight

Brad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Get a Williams Foolproof receiver sight ..... I use just the ghost ring ..
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

My suggestion is the same as Jim T.'s, accept that I would add a Target elevation knob and a Gibs lock. HTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm Get a Williams Foolproof receiver sight ..... I use just the ghost ring ..
Yep....best sight for a levergun....use the aperture for bench sight-in, then remove it for a ghost-ring effect for hunting or regular shooting. I use the 'target' style one for elevation (only) on my 32-20 since I might dial-up elevation, but the regular model is fine for most purposes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19898 ... inum-black

There are lots of scientific/optical reasons an aperture sight is both faster AND more accurate than the traditional 'open' sights that come on most rifles. Bottom line is, especially for 'mature' eyes.....they work well... 8)

Sorry PhotoSuckit are my great pictures, but here is a post about installing a Williams FP yourself....(if you really want pics let me know and I can rescue them one at a time when I get a free day to fuss with it).

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=25689

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Some factory rear sights on m94 Winchester can move freely on the barrel if pushed slightly left or right!

I also recommend Williams FP.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

Yes, some sights cause issues for some folks. I prefer a flat top post, but... many of my Winchester 94s have sights just like yours. Remember to sight in with the "ball" of the front sight set down in the "U" channel of the rear.
Then, use a 6 o'clock hold on your target. With a 6" round bull, I hold right at the bottom edge of the black... and adjust my sights till I'm impacting in the 10 ring. @ 100 yards, I'm hitting about 3" high... and that's fine for hunting, as I'm still on target from about 50 yards to nearly 175 without any change in sight height.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I personally have found there is no fundamental issue with accuracy and the open factory sights on a WInchester 94 if its the standard bead and half buckhorn rounded rear sight that nearly all of them came with. I do not care for the flip up sight on more recent versions, they can get wiggly.
I find the standard factory sights excellent - and I have trouble seeing the rear sight on a '92 or an SKS for example. (It doenst matter so much if the rear sight is fuzzy, as long as the front sight is clear) I have an accurate 94 and shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with it with no real problem - the same result as when I had a Williams receiver sight on it. With my other two '94's I could also shoot as well with the open sights as with a peep sight. (At 100 yards anyway, I never shot targets farther than that, and all my .30-30 deer have been less.)

It's possible that you might not be too famililar with shooting with open sights?

With a bead and U rear sight, you must place the bead low down in the bottom of the U, so that there is only the sphere of the bead showing. This will make your elevation constant, and without effort. The right-and-left will take care of it self, its easy to centre that bead in the bottom of the notch.

Then you should shoot at a target as Griff has described - balance the bulls eye on top of the sphere, so it looks like a figure eight, if you will. The bullet can impact whereever you want it too, but that it how you aim precisely each time.

I file the bead backwards at a 45 degree angle so it catches light from above, so it shows up silver or white. Works very well and better than painting it white. This also stops the phenomenon of having a highlight to one side of the bead or the other reflecting light - this may cause you to think the centre of the bead is to one side or the other of where it actually is.

If you find that your bead is merging with the white background of your target, you can paste or tape a white bullseye onto black paper. Or another variation I have started using, is a white bullseye on a grey background.
All of this is just about trying to aim as precisely as possible for load development and sighting in etc.

I aim exactly as above - Griff's ''six oçlock hold'' and I adjust the sight till the bullet is hitting at where I estimate the centre of the bead would cover at 100 yards. That is my personal preference - on game I shoot "through"" the bead, with both eyes open, using it like a red dot sight and find it perfectly intuitive to do so under pressure on game. I do well with it. But I don't do that for target shooting.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Not anymore...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JustAKGBSpy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:13 pm
Hey guys, new to lever guns here...I bought a 1971 Model 1894 Winchester in 30-30 for $450, and I love it.

I’m having an issue with the sights, though.

I can get groups, but my shooting is also all over the place.

Is it possible that this style of sights poses issues for certain users?

If so, is there any recommendations you guys would have for a replacement to the sight that’s on the gun.

Welcome to the fire ! We hope you can sit a spell and chew the fat with us. ;)

IME, a bead front sight will cause a shift of impact if/when one side or the other of the bead reflects a bit more light than the other, especially in bright sunlight.

The remedy is to either file/polish the rear face of the bead flat, or switch the front sight out for a flat bead/post, or a fiber-optic front sight (my choice for all my iron-sighted rifles).

About shooting all over the place:

Rifles with 2-piece stocks shoot differently then rifle with 1-piece stocks.

Sooooo

When sighting-in or shooting for groups, best practice indicates that your rifle should be shot with no portion of the wood or metal parts touching anything other than your hands & shoulder.

That means that, when using a front rest, the forend should be grasped tightly in the forward hand, pulling it "down" & resting that hand atop the rest.

It also means that, when using a rear rest, the buttstock should be grasped hard by the trigger hand, which should also be pulling the butt back against the shoulder as hard as possible, while also ensuring that the butt makes no contact with the rear rest, or benchtop.

Please let us know how you make out.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Nath wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 am Some factory rear sights on m94 Winchester can move freely on the barrel if pushed slightly left or right!

I also recommend Williams FP.
N.
The front sights as well.
I was shooting my USRAC Winchester 94AE Trapper in .30-30 and suddenly my windage was all over the place. I then noticed the front sight was off-center and reached up to touch it. It flew off into the grass it was so loose. I couldn't peen in enough to get it to stay in, so I replaced it with a fiber optic front and eventually put a Williams receiver sight on when I figured out they had one that fit the AE scope holes.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm Get a Williams Foolproof receiver sight ..... I use just the ghost ring ..
This.
Don't focus on the ring, just look thru it. Your eye will find the exact center because that's where the light is strongest.

RedDot or Holographic sights are the berries. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

I was looking at a set of Williams/TruGlo Fiber Optics sights...any opinions on those?

My coworker told me to get a peep sight...would I have to take the gun to a gunsmith to get it installed, or is it just screwed in? I’m sorry I’m so ignorant on the subject of guns, it’s just something I’m starting to get into! I have so much trouble getting the darn bead in the buckhorn, it’s like the gun wants to point down when I try to do that!

Also, do all 1894s have dovetail sights that come out? I don’t see a seam on my sights where they would come out. Also, how tall would the front post be and do I have ramped sights? Here’s a pic!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

JustAKGBSpy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:20 pm I was looking at a set of Williams/TruGlo Fiber Optics sights...any opinions on those?

My coworker told me to get a peep sight...would I have to take the gun to a gunsmith to get it installed, or is it just screwed in? I’m sorry I’m so ignorant on the subject of guns, it’s just something I’m starting to get into! I have so much trouble getting the darn bead in the buckhorn, it’s like the gun wants to point down when I try to do that!

Also, do all 1894s have dovetail sights that come out? I don’t see a seam on my sights where they would come out. Also, how tall would the front post be and do I have ramped sights? Here’s a pic!
I personally would not D&T that rifle for receiver sights. But that is up to you. A modern sight would not look "right" but you can find a vintage one with some age and patina on it. Lyman, Redfield and Williams made several types of receiver sights to fit a 94. If all you are doing is hunting you don't NEED adjustment knobs. Some you just set and leave and those sights are usually more affordable.

Some rifles (usually carbines) have a blade pinned to a base that is soldered on the front. Yours has a ramp and hood so it should be dovetailed. You can use a fiber optic front and a barrel mounted peep without altering your rifle. Some will say the barrel mounted peep is not as good as a receiver mounted peep because your sight radius is shorter, but the ones saying that have usually not actually tried one, they just read it on the interweb. I have that setup on one rifle I did not want to D&T and it works very well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

I don’t plan on D&Ting it as I just got laid off, lol.

By a receiver sight, what do you mean?

Also, I found the dovetail on my sights. My gun doesn’t have an elevator though, it just has a screw holding up the rear sight...is that normal?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Some one may have put that screw adj. sight on your gun but a 1971 model 94 would have been D&T for a rec. sight
in my mind that looks more like a older 64 ?? but some times photos can be miss leading

Brad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

ollogger wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:44 pm Some one may have put that screw adj. sight on your gun but a 1971 model 94 would have been D&T for a rec. sight
in my mind that looks more like a older 64 ?? but some times photos can be miss leading

Brad
I didn't realize he was the OP. That picture does look like an older gun. On s 1971 rifle I'd have no issue at all drilling it if it isn't already.

JustAKGBspy, oost a better closeup of the right side of the receiver
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

https://imgur.com/gallery/IOcwA

There’s an album of pics. It has to be a ‘71 because it’s the 1871-1971 NRA Centennial edition rifle.

Also, if I buy something like the TruGlo sights, do I have to worry about the front sight height? I only go to the range at like 50-100 yards and I’ll hopefully go hunting with it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JustAKGBSpy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:21 pm https://imgur.com/gallery/IOcwA

There’s an album of pics. It has to be a ‘71 because it’s the 1871-1971 NRA Centennial edition rifle.

Also, if I buy something like the TruGlo sights, do I have to worry about the front sight height? I only go to the range at like 50-100 yards and I’ll hopefully go hunting with it.
Yes. Absolutely, the front sight height makes a difference. Too high and it will shoot low, and too low and it will shoot high.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I can shoot the Winchester hump-back rear sight just OK but as my eyes age I've noticed more vertical stringing. I flat-top the rear sight of every iron sighted rifle I own and shoot them a whole lot better afterward.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/improve ... -model-92/

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

Is it possible that they have em setup that they’ll work with every Model 94? Also, do the sight heights go by year?
Doug Jeffries
Levergunner

Post by Doug Jeffries »

I replaced the buckhorm blade with a ghost ring I made. Here's the two side be side.
20170730_152352.jpg
Look through the ring, centering target in the ring, and the bead just below target's center.
20170730_162605.jpg
So far, it's worked well for me. My eyes are 50.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thanks for the photos & you have a fine 94 for a dang good price!!
I go to Ebay some times looking for sights

Brad
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

KGB, your rear sight has been replaced with a Williams rear sight. There is probably a small lock screw holding it in place in the barrel dovetail. I didnt notice in the picture. It will come off, one way or another, a picture of the entire sight from the side and slightly above would clear up how to remove it. They are normally driven out from left to right as seen from the back end of the gun, and installed from the right to the left, the dovetails have a slight taper. Your front sight has also been cut up, and I dont believe its factory original. The height should be close enough to work with with a factory rear or a receiver sight. Some have had to change front sights when using receiver sights, but I never have, and have filed some beads down into blades as well, with no problems with front sight height.

The ears of the semi-buckhorns arent always the easiest type of sight to use. They arent as obvious where the edge of the actual sighting notch is. Ive also filed them to flat tops, and just swapped them out for flat topped rear sights, but the best thing for accuracy and ease of use for most is a receiver sight, either Williams or Lyman No 66.

The factory rear sights from the 60s onwards have two small screws holding the sight plate to the base, and can be adjusted up or down to zero the sight with the elevator at whatever level one desires. The older ones supposedly were intended to be zeroed with the lowest notch being 50 yards, and each step being 50 yard increments. The older sights had a small screw and movable plate inset into the sight to adjust for elevation fine tuning. There were different height front sights for different cartridges, and there were different height front sights on into the period of ramp front sight bases, I'm not informed on the actual heights, but Ive seen them mentioned. That information should be available online somewhere if nobody here has it available.

If your local library has a copy of The Winchester Book by Madis, it has tons of information about sights of various periods. The Winchester Collectors forum also has quite a bit of information if you hunt around for it.

Many of us prefer blade type front sights rather than beads. The older Sourdough type was popular for many years, and can be found sometimes. I sight all of them the same, with the bullet hitting at or just above the top of the front sight at the desired distance, regardless of what type sight, bead or blade. The bullseye makes no difference on how I zero sights, i'm not shooting for a score, but to get the sights and bullet impact where I want them for field use. I hold 6 oclock on a round sighting target because it gives a clean sight picture, but adjust the sights so the bullet is right at point of aim or an inch or two above. For extending the usable range, sighting so the bullet hits about 2-2 1/2" high at 100 yards gives fairly easy hitting to a bit over 200 yards without worrying about holding over much if at all depending on what youre shooting at.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Doug Jeffries wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm I replaced the buckhorm blade with a ghost ring I made. Here's the two side be side. 20170730_152352.jpg

Look through the ring, centering target in the ring, and the bead just below target's center.20170730_162605.jpg

So far, it's worked well for me. My eyes are 50.
Nicely done, welcome to the campfire...... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JustAKGBSpy
Levergunner

Post by JustAKGBSpy »

ollogger wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 pm Thanks for the photos & you have a fine 94 for a dang good price!!
I go to Ebay some times looking for sights

Brad
Thanks for the complement! She has quite a few dings and dents and places the blueing is chopped off, I reckon it’s not as nice as you think. I looked through the sights again yesterday and think I figured out the correct way to use em! The bead is so big though, that it looks like it blocks just about everything lol. Taking the hood off the front sight definitely helped too!

Also, good ol Wyoming! I lived in MT for two years.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

About your 1971 NRA Commemorative:

1) The upper rear of the LH receiver sidewall should have 2 small headless plug screws there, about 1/2" apart - they are the factory peep sight prep D/T'd holes, for screwing on a receiver peep sight.

2) If a receiver peep sight is installed, the issue height front sight blade would be too short to properly zero the rifle @ 100yds - a new (fiber-optic ?) front sight blade about 1/10" taller then the issue front sight blade would be needed.

3) If a receiver peep sight is installed, it's best practice to remove the rear barrel open sight, to obtain a lean/clear sight picture. (the empty dovetail slot is easily filled with a slot filler blank, bought or handmade)

4) Be very careful when working (screwing) around the receiver, as those were plated (not blued or blacked) with Black Chrome - which can chip out when contacted by the sharp edge of a tool, like a screwdriver.

5) The front sight blade is changed AFTER the front sight hood is slid forward, off the sight ramp, the driven out towards the right (loading [port) side with a non-marring (brass) drift pin driven by a heavy hammer (no love taps), AND with the sight ramp directly supported against the hammer blows. (the replacement sight goes in the opposite way, with the ramp also supported).

6) The issue rear open sight is likewise removed via drifting it's forward male dovetail out of the barrel (slip a piece of paper under the rear to avoid scratching the barrel).

7) A Williams rear open sight is removed via first removing the elevation slide's set screw (on top of the slide) & sliding the top portion of the sight "off" - which will then expose a 2nd screwhead, which secures the lower portion of the Williams sight to it's dovetail slot adaptor. The adaptor is then removed from the dovetail slot.

I've had two different NRA Rifle's, and both were very accurate - you should enjoy using yours.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marbles "Bullseye" sights are also interesting. VERY fast to use, with the outer 'ghost' ring, yet the smaller ring provides precision of you take an extra second to focus through it. The eye naturally wants to center the front sight in the aperture.
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-51-12-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-50-38-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-52-28-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-51-30-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm Marbles "Bullseye" sights are also interesting. VERY fast to use, with the outer 'ghost' ring, yet the smaller ring provides precision of you take an extra second to focus through it. The eye naturally wants to center the front sight in the aperture.
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-51-12-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-50-38-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-52-28-1.png
Screenshot_2017-12-19-22-51-30-1.png
In all honesty, that looks open for a right good knocking.
N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!