Puffin browser ????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Puffin browser ????

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Puffin browser ????

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang! Guess I'll have to try that Lenn. Did it perform for you? I'd like something that would speed up downloads as we have Hughes Net which starts and stops a lot.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

M. M. Wright wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 am Dang! Guess I'll have to try that Lenn. Did it perform for you? I'd like something that would speed up downloads as we have Hughes Net which starts and stops a lot.
No I haven`t tried it, I am leery of trying new things on my computer in fear of messing things up.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Had to look it up, since I've not heard of it before

From the description*, your browsing session is actually on a virtual machine on someone else's server and what is being passed to you is just the screen shots of the session. Just like the old PCAnywhere program or VNC or TightVNC.

good: says it's terribly fast

bad: it's architecture is based on "the cloud", that mysterious thing marketing people lower their voice and raise their hands to heaven when saying the words.

I have big issues with anything involving my data out in the cloud - if you don't hold it, then it's available to anyone with enough resources.

*I say, from the description, since I can't get their website to load on my PC. Between my ad-blockers and tracker blocking, all I'm getting is a white page.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, that cloud stuff was what was worrying me , doesn`t Amazon use that with the Kindle browser.
Think I`ll stick with IE its working pretty good. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Trying not to thread-hijack, but the new Firefox 57 (quantum) is reasonably well behaved. I run mine with several extensions to block ads, trackers, etc., and rarely do I see anything bothersome.

Internet exploder on some websites is a horror show of bouncing, flashing, irritating ads and attention grabbers.

So saying, puffin might be worth trying if you're on a sat or some other bandwidth limited link. I would just be concerned about and be aware of privacy issues.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

After installing this IE has been a lot better.

https://adblockplus.org/
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

AD-blockplus rocks! I'm a huge fan. Just checked, it appears to be available for all major browsers.

I'm also running (in Firefox) Ghostery (tracking blocker), HTTPS Everywhere (forces where available higher security on sites), and YesScript2 (turn off/off java annoyances)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I love it, had so many ads I couldn`t stand it, Ad-blockerplus took care of all of them and no set up easy install.
Thanks for your input pard. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Pitchy--I have an Asus notebook that started running a little slow with the Firefox browser. I went looking for a lightweight browser that did not use a bunch of resources to run and found Slimjet. I've been running it for about 6 months now and am very happy with it. It runs pretty quick on my Asus with it's little Atom processor and 2 megs of ram.
https://www.slimjet.com/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I used to run Firefox until it started taking a long time to load sites, so switched to Google Chrome, which has been fine. I also have the Brave browser downloaded but haven't felt like risking trying it, although it apparently was developed by one of the architects of Firefox. I just know so little about how all this stuff works that I'm reluctant to mess with it. I have a hard enough time just using my cell phone.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

retmech wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am Pitchy--I have an Asus notebook that started running a little slow with the Firefox browser. I went looking for a lightweight browser that did not use a bunch of resources to run and found Slimjet. I've been running it for about 6 months now and am very happy with it. It runs pretty quick on my Asus with it's little Atom processor and 2 megs of ram.
https://www.slimjet.com/
Looks interesting, thanks I may try it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

"in the cloud" may sound scary - but every time you connect to the internet you're interacting with the infrastructure upon which "the cloud" is built. Between your computer and the server you're trying to access is a chain of other servers that receive and pass on the information you're receiving and sending.

If you'd like a secure browser, check out https://www.brave.com/ Haven't but glanced at the puffin browser, but will did into it a bit more. There've been a LOT of changes since the old Mosaic days, to say the least. Anyone remember Netscape?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

AmBraCol wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:49 pmAnyone remember Netscape?
Absolutely, used it a lot with Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups!
The Lord Bless You

Terry