Colonel John S. Mosby: "The Grey Ghost"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Colonel John S. Mosby: "The Grey Ghost"

Post by Old No7 »

Very interesting read here on Colonel John S. Mosby, "The Grey Ghost" (click for link)

And I never knew about the connection to "Old Blood & Guts".

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Colonel John S. Mosby: "The Grey Ghost"

Post by 765x53 »

I remember a 1950's TV series about Mosby's Raiders.
I also had a Classics Illustrated comic book about his exploits.
Thanks for the link.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That was a good read. I have read about a few times but it's been awhile.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thank you for that!

8)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Very interesting. Thank you.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

Whats interesting too is what happened afterwards - this from Wikipedia

Mosby had become one of Grant's favorites and was bringing federal patronage jobs to local Virginians, although initially he did not hold any federal job. He tried to make a rapprochement between President Grant and Virginia Governor James Kemper, a Confederate Major General and Conservative elected the following year and whom Mosby also supported. However, that failed. His Republican political activity diminished Mosby's popularity in Warrenton; many considered him a turncoat. Many Southerners still considered Grant "the enemy". Mosby received death threats, his boyhood home was burned down, and at least one attempt was made to assassinate him. Later reflecting on the animosity shown to him by his fellow Virginians, Mosby stated in a May 1907 letter that "There was more vindictiveness shown to me by the Virginia people for my voting for Grant than the North showed to me for fighting four years against him."[47]
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wow - fantastic. Thank you very much. Archived!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thank-you for sharing
It is not the critic who counts
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That was a great read! Thank you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

John Mosby received his promotion as head of the 43rd Partisan Rangers through the
intercession of GEN J.E.B. Stuart to RE Lee.
Mosby now lies in the Warrenton, VA Cemetery. Some of my long distant cousins fought with
Mosby-in Mosby's Confederacy-near Upperville and Winchester. They now lie in their graves near St Johns Church along the James-Columbia,VA.

Like Marat under Napolean-"Audens-audens!" Wins everytime. He captured a $30K Federal payroll.

Like T. Jackson-Mosby learned the value of surprise and audacity, keeping the enemy frightened and mystified.

For the real read, recommend Vergil C. JONES: "RANGER MOSBY".

LtCol Ridge Marriott
USA-R
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

joeng wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:14 pm Whats interesting too is what happened afterwards...

Mosby had become one of Grant's favorites and was bringing federal patronage jobs to local Virginians, although initially he did not hold any federal job. He tried to make a rapprochement between President Grant and Virginia Governor James Kemper, a Confederate Major General and Conservative elected the following year and whom Mosby also supported. However, that failed. His Republican political activity diminished Mosby's popularity in Warrenton; many considered him a turncoat. Many Southerners still considered Grant "the enemy". Mosby received death threats, his boyhood home was burned down, and at least one attempt was made to assassinate him. Later reflecting on the animosity shown to him by his fellow Virginians, Mosby stated in a May 1907 letter that "There was more vindictiveness shown to me by the Virginia people for my voting for Grant than the North showed to me for fighting four years against him."
Interesting... Thanks for sharing that info.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

joeng wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:14 pm Whats interesting too is what happened afterwards - this from Wikipedia

Mosby had become one of Grant's favorites and was bringing federal patronage jobs to local Virginians, although initially he did not hold any federal job. He tried to make a rapprochement between President Grant and Virginia Governor James Kemper, a Confederate Major General and Conservative elected the following year and whom Mosby also supported. However, that failed. His Republican political activity diminished Mosby's popularity in Warrenton; many considered him a turncoat. Many Southerners still considered Grant "the enemy". Mosby received death threats, his boyhood home was burned down, and at least one attempt was made to assassinate him. Later reflecting on the animosity shown to him by his fellow Virginians, Mosby stated in a May 1907 letter that "There was more vindictiveness shown to me by the Virginia people for my voting for Grant than the North showed to me for fighting four years against him."[47]
Grant made Mosby an ambassador to some country to get him away from any further attempts on his life .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For the millennium party on 12-31-99 I dressed up as J.S. Mosby 😉👍🏻
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Mosby's War Reminiscences, by John Singleton Mosby

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45436/45436-h/45436-h.ht

-------------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Have always enjoyed reading about Mosby. When I was 17 I named my Grey 86 Chevy 4x4 pickup after him. "Grey Ghost"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm For the millennium party on 12-31-99 I dressed up as J.S. Mosby 😉👍🏻
Do you have a picture of that? It would be awesome to see!

Great post Darryl!!! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:12 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm For the millennium party on 12-31-99 I dressed up as J.S. Mosby 😉👍🏻
Do you have a picture of that? It would be awesome to see!

Great post Darryl!!! :D
No sir I'm sorry to say very few if any pictures were taken at that party !