Never been a huge 94 man

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Never been a huge 94 man

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have typically favored Marlin lever guns over the years. Always liked the solid-top receiver, side ejection and easy bolt removal for cleaning. That said, I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a Model 94 made in 1952 and rebored and chambered to .35-30 by P.O. Ackley. Realized I did not know how to field strip, clean and lube a 94 so looked it up on Youtube, and boy it's more complicated than a 336. Doable, of course, but I'll need a parts tray -- and to pay attention.

:?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Never been a huge 94 man

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yup , that's why we find so many old Winchesters that are full of crud that has been there since day one.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck, any favorite lubes for 94s?
Just noticed you are in Ridgefield. We looked at homes there three years ago. That is a really nice area. It seemed to us, though, that Washington state doesn't seem to care much about land-use planning. We were so used to it in Oregon.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have some gunslick lube from the 70's that comes in a little silver squeeze tube, the grease is black in color, I used that on my M94 after praying it down with WD40 and wiping as much out of the bolt opening as possible. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've used all sorts of grease in my 94s. Lately, I've been using Hoppe's "Gun Grease". I've always just used the minimum amount to get a thin coating on the bolt, locking lug rails, and the various pivot points. And I do mean MINIMAL.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm Chuck, any favorite lubes for 94s?
Just noticed you are in Ridgefield. We looked at homes there three years ago. That is a really nice area. It seemed to us, though, that Washington state doesn't seem to care much about land-use planning. We were so used to it in Oregon.
Hi friend. I mostly use Remoil . It does everything I need from a gun oil.
This area is growing so fast it is just a bedroom for Portland. Places where I hunted in the 60's are now ant hills of people and shopping centers.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - the Marlin 1894 is kind of like the Colt 1911; both are made of just a few, robust, kind of 'generic' parts, and there is little to lose or break when they are taken apart.

The Winchesters are more like a S&W revolver - lots of complex internals that can be a real pain to reassemble if you dare take them apart.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No need to disassemble a Win 94 for cleaning. You can get to most every nook and cranny with a small brush. The bore is easily cleaned from the muzzle. Just buy or make a muzzle protector ( I've done both ) to keep the rod away from the rifling.
Over the 50+ years I've owned and used Win 94s I've found grease to be more of a dirt magnet than a lube. A good quality oil applied to all the moving pieces is all that's needed.

In reality they are a very simple design if you don't overthink it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you made the switch, now you appreciate one of the slickest petite leverguns out there compared to the many chair leg offerings by that fish company.

94's are self cleaning, just a spot of oil on the rails is all that is needed.
Don't worry about the bore, it has proper rifling :D

I use bore foam cleaner as there is no vigorous rod action needed thus one can enter via muzzle.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

+1 Joe.

The Marlins are easier to disassemble, no question.
For me, however, it is negated by the 94's superior handling characteristics and pointability. I find them more comfortable to carry also.
Again, this is just me. I'm not a Marlin hater, I own several and they are fine rifles.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. I'm sure I'll learn to love this thing.

8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.....now you appreciate one of the slickest petite leverguns out there compared to the many chair leg offerings by that fish company.....Don't worry about the bore, it has proper rifling.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I own both (several from the Fish Company, one USA Winchester, & several Rossi clones of the Win 92), and like 'em all.

Definitely the Winchester design results in a slick handling and reliable gun, in either the long or short-action iteration. I do appreciate the simplicity of the Marlins though.

A true Levergunner should own both (plus a Savage or Ruger and/or Browning); I still don't have a Savage or BLR yet. :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 am
.....now you appreciate one of the slickest petite leverguns out there compared to the many chair leg offerings by that fish company.....Don't worry about the bore, it has proper rifling.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I own both (several from the Fish Company, one USA Winchester, & several Rossi clones of the Win 92), and like 'em all.

Definitely the Winchester design results in a slick handling and reliable gun, in either the long or short-action iteration. I do appreciate the simplicity of the Marlins though.

A true Levergunner should own both (plus a Savage or Ruger and/or Browning); I still don't have a Savage or BLR yet. :(
I quite fancy the Henry version of the BLR.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am Thanks fellas. I'm sure I'll learn to love this thing.

8)
We have a couple marlins in the family and they are great and easy to deal with when getting inside them. But.. after a few excursions you'll appreciate the nuances of the '94.

I believe that carries over into the wondering of the guts inside. At least it did for me.

Some people appreciate the differences, others mistake it for a lesser rifle. Not me.. :D

🍻 Cheers to you and your new friend!
My first child - '94 30-30