Lever Light Mount

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Lever Light Mount

Post by HawkCreek »

This doesn't fit with a lot of traditional lever gunning but for those of us who keep one around for defending the homestead of just keeping varmints away from the barn having a light on a gun makes a lot of sense. Hill People Gear has had a new offering out for a few months now allowing easy mounting of a light on a lever action, designed for quick mounting without permanently altering the gun. I just received mine yesterday so I can do a long term review but I can say it's well made and appears quite sturdy. Mounting mine to a Winchester 94 Trapper took less than 5 minutes including time to go retrieve the gun from my truck. They are designed for .30 caliber magazine tubes but should fit anything with an OD of around .646", for grins today I pulled out all my my lever actions and tried the LLM to see what would and wouldnt fit.

Will Fit:
Winchester 94 .30-30
Winchester 92 .45 Colt
Marlin 336Y .30-30 (but it will put slight pressure on the barrel)

Will Not Fit:
Browning .348
Winchester 71 .348
Marlin 1895 .45-70

And because it was designed to fit a barrel if a mag tube wasn't an option I also tried it on a Winchester 1895 SRC .30-06 and a Savage 99 .300 Savage. It will not fit close the the forearm of these guns but it would fit just behind the front sight of the Savage and just rear of the muzzle of the Winchester. I imagine throwing that much weight up near the end of the barrel would throw off the sights (possible a lot) and it would put the light out of reach for most but it could be done if it had to.

Here is a much better review than mine:
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2017/12/05 ... ght-mount/

Not my pictures (stolen shamelessly from the HPG sight):

I am not affiliated with the company in any way but I thought at least some of you would be interested in this. I can say I like how it breaks up the traditional lines of a lever gun but I do like having a light on a gun I am likely to grab in the night time.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Lever Light Mount

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks - I have lights on three leverguns, and went even further into blasphemy-land by putting Burris Fastfire-II holosights and pistol lasers on them (the pistol laser sits in front of the holosight, and the two combined are still more compact than a cheap red-dot sight would be).

They are PERFECT for dispatching barnyard 4-legged varmints, and wouldn't leave you undergunned if you stumbled into a mess of 2-legged ones. Way more sensible for most situations than an AR (less blast, less noise, less distance travelled by the bullet if a miss or pass-through).

I just wish I had a 45 Colt or 44 Magnum levergun with an integrally-suppressed barrel.

Here's a pic of the Rossi 45 Colt 'Night Scout' I made, next to a couple other useful things for bumps-in-the-night:
Screenshot_2017-12-13-22-04-46.png
The light is on 30mm quick-detach scope rings, but I rarely bother to take it off. Easy to hit a tennis ball at 25 yards (or a feral cat at 75 yards) with it in total darkness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I just knew our resident "Doc" would reply to that!

His tagline could also read:

"Doctors for Functional Leverguns" too! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I like that light setup. May I have a subchapter of Doc's organization ...RN's for functional leverguns. May have a shirt made, boy would that stir them up down at the Union office. Hehe.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

When you have to shoot at nite to save the lady's pets, the heck with being traditional! What's the saying, if Dan'l or Davy had those you can bet they would have used them... Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only reason that Daniel Boone used a flintlock was that it was the best he could get at the time. Give him a levergun with a light on it and he would have probably fed all the widows and orphans around in addition to feeding his family. I don't find it any issue to add lights to a firearm for use in low light situations.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The thing that annoys me is the $103 price tag for a VERY simple chunk of metal, that compares to more complicated things made for AR-15's that cost a $10 or so... :|

I know that 'economy of scale' is a factor, but geesh....!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm The thing that annoys me is the $103 price tag for a VERY simple chunk of metal, that compares to more complicated things made for AR-15's that cost a $10 or so... :|

I know that 'economy of scale' is a factor, but geesh....!!!
I mean, REALLY. Wouldn't it seem much more in line with other American marketers to price it $102.99! :o :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!