Some 1911 range love.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Some 1911 range love.

Post by Panzercat »

I have to say that unlike a lot of pistols that have come and gone through my collection, I kind of lusted after the Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded at first sight. A lot of things can be said about Remington these days but somehow their 1911 quality hasn't suffered, something I confirmed each and every time I found one at the gun store. The form was beautiful, the trigger was sweet and the slide racked like it was on butter. Having learned my lessons from Philippine and Turkey built discount pistols, i decided made in America would be the next 1911 I would own. Having handled this pistol in real life, I bought with relative confidence.

First i had to wait, mainly on my own fortunes, then for Black Friday where deals and rebates traditionally found their way to the consumer. Springfield was the nearest competitor I was considering. Their 1911s are just as well regarded and usually their Black Friday promo comes in the form of stuff-- More mags and pouches and stuff. The only problem is you wouldn't get a threaded barrel out of them until you reached a much higher pricetag than I could budget. On the other hand, Remington came through with a $100 rebate. It was pretty much a slam dunk after that. An XDm was sacrificed for the seed money and a 1911 ordered post haste. When it's all said and done, $570 ain't too dern bad.

Like it's store brethren, my particular Remington exhibited excellent balance and a silky smooth slide. The trigger can't be more than 3.5lbs. I might need to adjust the over-travel a hair, but that's really nitpicking. Suppressor sights were part of the deal, featuring a two dot system that I instantly took a liking to. The raised sights presented me with a slight problem, as did the threaded barrel-- They would need a largely custom solution to holster. More on that later. Perhaps the only thing that came unexpected were the grips. As handsome as they are, handling them is like gripping a cactus. To say that they are aggressive is an understatement, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I put some decent time on the pistol. All the controls functioned perfectly, though the raised sights forced me to change my normal racking grip to the front instead of pulling from the back, as they were subtly causing me ride the slide and jamming the round it was feeding. Switching to the front serrations seems to have solved the issue.

The moment the pistol was ordered, I turned to the challenge of the holster. The biggest issue I ran into in sourcing suppliers was either they couldn't accommodate the threaded barrel and sights in the general 1911 molds they stocked or that they were so specialized that they only catered to specific 1911 models. Remington didn't seem overly popular in that regard, narrowing the field further. Hidden Hybrid Holsters seemed to rise to the top within a very narrow spectrum of offerings. The reviews for them seemed very positive and their communication was excellent. I soon found out that the would be able to create a general 1911 holster modified to my needs. Throw in another Black Friday 20% off discount and I really didn't have a choice but to throw my money at them.

The folks on the phone were patient and friendly. Their turnaround time was outstanding. As you can see, their product is a combo IWB/OWB piece made for comfort. While a myriad of colors were available, I chose the more traditional brown leather backing and black kydex shell. The stitching is superb and as you can see below, skin contact points are suede. The fit is likewise tight and accommodates my 1911 effortlessly. I doubt this holster will be a burden in any way, shape or form. Included was a pocket copy of the Constitution. Nice touch, and what better accompaniment for something made to house the venerable 1911. I might just have to get a mag pouch from them as well.

There is now only one thing left to do, of course. Shoot it. My week has been busy and a half, which means all I've been able to do is fondle my precious and look upon it lovingly. If it shoots half as good as it looks, I'll be in good hands. by every account I've read, i have little doubt it will. Range report soon :)
Last edited by Panzercat on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: It's here! It's here! Some 1911 love.

Post by AJMD429 »

Nice to see a holster maker willing to be creative....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice looking hope it shoots well for you. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really like that extended magazine release and the tunnel in the grip to allow you to use it. My thumb is short and I usually must shift my grip to drop the mag. Costs me time that I can't afford as I'm not very fast these days. Anyway, nice pistol, enjoy it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a dandy, Panzercat. I have been impressed by all the Remington-made 1911s I have managed to handle. Good to know Big Green can still get something so right.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congratulations and good shopping. Enjoy that piece!
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a great price, for a very decent 1911. :o

I paid that for a basic R1, back when they were 1st introduced.......... :roll:

I put around 2500 rounds of mixed hardball & SD/HD JSP's through it before I gifted it to my oldest Grandson for his 21st birthday about 6 years ago (he had been shooting my 1911's since he was 11 y.o.).

AFAIK, he's put an additional 3K rounds through it, w/o any issues - so I hope you get good service from yours.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty cool! The R1 that I had shot very well.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:mrgreen: neat :mrgreen:

N
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just begging for a can! :mrgreen:
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Some 1911 range love.

Post by Panzercat »

Range and Functionality Check

Oh, snap. She's a beautiful piece of hardware. Since I didn't have time to hit the Ben Avery or some other desert locale, I opted for a run at Shooters World and took along a variety of ammunition ranging from lumbering 230gr ball to zippy 185 Sig Sauer hollow points. It digest almost everything I threw at it save a single round of 230gr semi wadcutter that failed to return fully to battery. Everything else, including the rest of the SWCs were consumed without complaint. Gold Dots. HST. Ball. The aformentioned 185gr Sig. The grips were barely noticeable while in use, though they are sanding down my hips something fierce during carry. I like how they look, but I can already tell new grips are in my future.

The pistol itself is stupidly accurate and the two dot vertical sights are wonderful. Above are targets at five and ten yards, top and bottom receptively. No, I'm not the best shot in the world, but I promise you i would not have been able to do that with my former XDm in similar caliber. The sights make placement effortless and the trigger does the rest. Below is a target at 20 yards after some advice from another friendly shooter concerning my grip. Again, utterly impossible with my XDm but somehow I'm putting rounds dead center at range. I turns an evil grin to my face knowing that my friend spent double to get this level of trigger and accuracy.

The holster is great. I had fully intended it for OWB use only, but figured what the heck. It's a combo rig, why not use it. It carries great and is supremely comfortable thanks to the suede backing; the only fly in that particular ointment being the cactus-like grips of the pistol itself. hardly the holsters fault, but darn you can't forget it's there, slowly scraping away layers of skin :p

While this isn't any sort of long term review, the results are promising. The single failure to return to battery might have been bullet geometry, me limp-wristing, or something. It feels like a fluke since everything else went down range without drama. Wonderful pistol.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Next to the Colt SAA, a 1911 is the next closest thing to perfection... when done right. Several of the Wild Bunch shooters at our club use the R1, and all have had good service from theirs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Panzer, I bet a very judicious light sanding will reduce the abrasive effect of those grips without interfering with your ability to grip the pistol properly.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 am Panzer, I bet a very judicious light sanding will reduce the abrasive effect of those grips without interfering with your ability to grip the pistol properly.
Good call. I have some fine 320 grit take a pass at them with.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

A great looking rig always liked 1911s, Remington was what I ended up with in Iraq when I needed close range thump for two-legged varmints. I have been lucky enough to carry them on a couple of continents.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks nice. I have a Rock Island with about 4000 rounds through it that I recently had new sights added to it due to my aging eyes. It doesn't like Gold Dot, but that is all. If your trigger is any better, then it would be quite nice. Mine is 4 pounds with a crisp letoff, 0.028 inches of creep, and 0.1 inch of overtravel factory trigger never touched with any stones. I like the extended barrel with the threads.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost