And speaking of crossbows

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

And speaking of crossbows

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have ignored them all my life because the state of Oregon has always viewed them as evil poachers' weapons. They are legal here in New Mexico, though, and I am to the point where drawing a hunting-weight bow puts me at risk of a right shoulder blowup. So I am starting to pay attention.
Here is an amazing design that my brother sent me. Well beyond my budget, but very interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... dPeukkkDU8
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: And speaking of crossbows

Post by Pisgah »

For decades, crossbows were illegal for hunting here, too. Then, they became legal for hunters with a disability certified by a physician. Now that they are legal across the board for archery season, they have gone 'way out of my price range. Oh, well... :roll:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've had great success with my crossbow since 2008. 17 deer have been felled during this time; most of my shots have been fired at 25 yards or less. I bought a slightly used Ten Point for a very fair price.

SportsmansGuide.com offers several good crossbows for less than $400. My buddy in Pennsylvania bought their Beowulf model for about $325. and has toppled three deer in three years with it. It's a keeper!

Good hunting to you.

Jack
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always looked at deer harvesting as just that - 'harvesting', so I tended to use whatever tool was going to be most efficient. That worked out to be a lever action 44 Mag carbine for my purposes.

However, there IS a certain 'sporting' or 'recreational' element to the harvest, and I've come to realize (since my son edjumicated me on bow-hunting) that arrows are pretty much as lethal and humane as bullets. Harder to place accurately perhaps, and certainly one needs to keep in mind range-limits with any harvesting tool, and they are shorter with arrows.

Having said that, I think I'd be tempted to archery-hunt, IF I could use a crossbow, since I doubt I'd have the skill (or strength) to draw and hold a compound bow in a stealthy enough fashion to hunt successfully.

If I ever get a crossbow, I'll probably get a really good one, because it would likely be the only one I'd ever get (I settle for some 'mediocre' guns, because I just like guns :D ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am
I am to the point where drawing a hunting-weight bow puts me at risk of a right shoulder blowup.

Some of the new X-bows ( the Ravin, for one) have a light (10lb) cocking system - in fact, the Ravin ads state "meet your new rifle".

I shot my Son's new Carbon Express, and can report that it was so accurate @ 40yds that when practicing, the shooter must aim at separate bullseye's, lest following arrows impact a previously-shot arrow.

He has been very successful on deer here, out to 50yds (he uses a rangefinder).

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I don't own a crossbow but my son just got one. He works for a sporting goods chain in Michigan. He told me a few customers have been praising CenterPoint sniper crossbows. One of his regulars, an avid crossbow hunter, said it is every bit as good as his very expensive crossbows. I read some good reviews about them and they go for about $250. I think Cabelas has them on sale. They look fun.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My love local archery shop is selling those $2000 crossbows at a rapid rate. He told me to hang onto my money for a year or two as lots of manufacturers will be bringing out new products that imitate the Ravin for considerably less money. Some guys just have to have the newest and greatest....obviously not me because I still think cast boolits are the schnizzle.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ford, the archery industry's equivalent of the SHOT Show is coming up the second week in January in Indianapolis. Prolly be a whole bunch of Ravin copycats ...
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

This is one I d like to have a stone/pellet bow

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good evening
Illinois was like most states... But if a doctor would write a letter for a previous bow hunter with a shoulder issue then that hunter could switch legally to a cross bow. I still shoot recurves but Illinois changed the rules so any bow hunter over 62 can now use one...
So we bought a simple 130 pound to use on garden pests and whatever else needs exterminating quietly. Will still do my hunting with the old sticks and string as long as my 67 year old shoulders let me. It is just a way of life in the river bottoms I want to keep.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I hadn't realized the crossbow goes so far back in history. From wiki:

The earliest evidence of crossbows comes from ancient China in the form of crossbow triggers dating back to the 6th century BC.[11] According to Sir Joseph Needham in his Science and Civilisation in China, it is not possible to pinpoint exactly which of the East Asian peoples invented the crossbow.[citation needed] However, there is unquestionable evidence that the crossbow was used for military purposes at least as far back as the Warring States period from the second half of the 4th century BC onwards.[12]

In terms of archaeological evidence, bronze crossbow bolts dating from as early as the mid-5th century BC have been found at a Chu burial site in Yutaishan, Hubei.[13] The earliest handheld crossbow stocks with bronze trigger, dating from the 6th century BC, were found in Tomb 3 and 12 at Qufu, Shandong, previously the capital of Lu, ancient China.[11][14][15] Other early finds of crossbows were discovered in Tomb 138 at Saobatang, Hunan, dating to the mid-4th century BC.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I ever get the time to hunt the Eastern Shore of MD again I'm going to get a crossbow preferably the 2G Ravin at 425 FOS or the somewhat less costly Scorpyed at 450 FPS . And yes speed doesn't necessarily kill better but I sure do like it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Was in Wally-World today with my wife getting some items for upcoming Christmas parties. She peeled off to get the food, and I made a run over to Sporting Goods because I needed some arrow tips. I say a couple Barnett crossbows, both under $350...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

On have no personal experience with Barnett crossbows BUT the saying around here is friends don't let friends buy Barnett. Again no personal experience, but I have heard that more than once.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ford, I do hear of issues with the lower-priced Barnetts that are carried by most of the big box stores. Good place for info is crossbownation.com.
I have a bead on a crossbow from a small company in Pennsylvania, Kodabow. The company is run by a retired U.S. Navy commander who is legendary both for the quality of the product and for customer service.