Question on a Lyman 56A receiver sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Question on a Lyman 56A receiver sight

Post by geobru »

Does anyone here know a source for an elevation screw for a Lyman 56A?
There are screws for a Model 57 that are available online, but I'm not sure that they will fit the 56A.
Does anyone know for sure?
I'm looking for the slotted head rather than the target head.

For future reference, the elevation screw that is available through Lyman for a 66A fits perfectly in the 56A sight. The threads are the same. The Lyman parts are available for a few dollars and are a bargain compared to what is available on Ebay!
Last edited by geobru on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question on a Lyman 56A receiver sight

Post by Pisgah »

In the past, I have gotten screws for various sights, even discontinued ones, directly from Lyman. Worth a try.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Do you need the screw for some reason, or just want the coin adjustable knob instead of the thumb adjustable one?

The knobs are not part of the screw, they are attached to the end of them with a tiny set screw. The current Lyman 66 knobs fit fine, I swapped several to the coin adjust type after having the thumb type get moved taking the guns in and out of scabbards, I ordered the knobs direct from Lyman. I seriously dislike the thumb knobs. After zeroing, I cant think of any reason Id need to thumb adjust the sight in the field, and the down side of the sight adjustment getting changed without your knowledge is much more of an issue in real life. Even with the thumb nut on the side supposedly locking down the elevation, Ive found them (side nut) loose many times, though the elevation hadnt changed because of the coin adjust knobs.

I havent compared the actual parts, but the screw shaft of the 66s probably are the same or close to the 56s.

If you swap knobs, you have to take the set screw almost entirely out to get the knob off, the screw goes into a hole in the screw shaft. They are difficult to get really tight without a correctly fitting screwdriver. Find a decent fitting screw driver if swapping the knobs. If you order knobs, get some spare set screws, they can break one side of the head/slot off. If theyve been on the sight for ages, they can be hard to get out at first.

This. Click the "choose an option" for the parts.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/accessori ... 62215.html
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks for the info Malamute. Somehow I missed finding the parts on the Lyman website.

The sight I have doesn't have the knob and the screw is broken off on the knob end at the beginning of the threads.

I am wondering if the threads are different between the 56 and 66 sights?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'll see if I can find my parts and spare sight and compare.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?