CA fires

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
harry
Senior Levergunner

CA fires

Post by harry »

Hope all our leverguners in CA are safe and out of the path of the flames.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: CA fires

Post by gamekeeper »

harry wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 pm Hope all our leverguners in CA are safe and out of the path of the flames.
+1
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I feel really sorry for those people who are suffering because their "I Love Nature" Left Greenie 'tards failed to comprehend the FACTS of living in a Wet/Dry microclimate that leads them to believe that a lot of (dry fuel) "yard greenery" is in any way appropriate to the FACT that such BS will bring the fire TOWARD your house.

Morons.

Firebreaks and steel/tile roofs exist for a reason.

Learn to do Zen Gardens rather than tinderbox mansions.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I do hope the decent people out there are safe and don't lose too much in the fires, but like OI said, some of them brought it upon themselves.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, OI's comment pushed a button so here goes.

While the cause hasn't been determined yet for these fires, it will likely turn out to be arson in at least two cases in SoCal.

With these winds, it doesn't matter what the foliage is like around your house. The blowing embers are dropping miles away from their point of origin to start other fires.

Steel or tile roofs aren't nearly as good in high winds. These winds are literally blowing embers into the attic vents. Fires are jumping from house to house and nothing less that solid concrete (and even that spalls) can keep from burning when exposed to that much heat that close.

And lastly, no one, no matter what their political point of view deserves to have their house burnt down. To loose everything. To have to rebuild. If you think they do, then I suggest you take a very long hard look in the mirror and decide what type of human being you are. Because from here, you need some serious reassessment.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Liberals deserve an azz whuppin' and don't deserve a place in government, but not to get burnt out. Prayers for all.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jeep, it's not that hard to fireproof a home.

We had a wildfire out here around the Guernsey Reservoir a few years ago. One house stood alone in the Black - because they had followed guidelines on protecting a house/property from wildfires.

No, no one "deserves" to have their house burn down, but take it from this Red Carded USFS Firefighter, "deserve" means punk all when you have a kitchen fire but no fire extinguisher...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was watching the news the other night and they were covering some family that had lost everything except her dead mother's wedding ring they found in the ashes. Across the street was a complete house standing intact WITH A TILE ROOF. What's wrong with this picture?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Rusty wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm I was watching the news the other night and they were covering some family that had lost everything except her dead mother's wedding ring they found in the ashes. Across the street was a complete house standing intact WITH A TILE ROOF. What's wrong with this picture?
Fire is often like a tornado. Destroy one home and leave another next door intact. We have some pretty stringent building codes for the hills. All roofs have to be fire rated. Now I'm sure there are some that fly by night outfits put on that didn't meet code, that happens everywhere. There are very strict codes regarding vegetation and clearance. Believe me the local FDs were all over the enforcement of these.

Another reason some are destroyed and others saved is when the strike teams arrived, if they did. Once a structure was burning, they pretty much had to let it go and concentrate on the protecting the unburned ones.

When you have a wild land fire being pushed by 40 to 70 mile winds often the only thing you can do on the ground is get out of its way. And aircraft are pushing the safety limits to fly in these condition.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know I don't fully understand what goes on in California, I relate my knowledge to what I know about the Florida Everglades. I had a man that I knew as a friend that was like a father to me. He was construction superintendent of the Everglades National Park until he was injured on the job and disabled. He tried for years to get them to cut fire brakes and start controlled burning. After they had a devastating fire that destroyed a lot of old growth cypress and decimated wildlife they adopted his ideas. I'd say that if you want to have a home in an area of old growth chaparral you need to take some proactive measures.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm I know I don't fully understand what goes on in California, I relate my knowledge to what I know about the Florida Everglades. I had a man that I knew as a friend that was like a father to me. He was construction superintendent of the Everglades National Park until he was injured on the job and disabled. He tried for years to get them to cut fire brakes and start controlled burning. After they had a devastating fire that destroyed a lot of old growth cypress and decimated wildlife they adopted his ideas. I'd say that if you want to have a home in an area of old growth chaparral you need to take some proactive measures.
In these Left Coast states, you may need a letter of approval from God before cutting trees on your own property. :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It really does not matter who or what is at fault...picking up the pieces after losing everything, figuring out where your going to live, what to drive, dealing with the insurance companies, trying to having "normalcy" , especially for your children, has got to be hard. Think of the wildlife and pets that lost their lives.

Yea..pelosi happens...I know...it will break you down to nothing.----6
Model A Uzi’s
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We have had some pretty big fires down here in Florida.....
Back in 98 I was sitting on my roof with the garden hose and wetting down everything.
Ashe and some embers were falling in our development from a fire about 1 1/2 miles away....
As long as the tree farmers control burn there's no problem when a fire is started naturally....
but some land owners don't bother and let ladder fuel grow into the canopies....and that's not good...
There are some sections in the Ocala national forest where they control burn every couple of years....if conditions are right...
they light them up....and walk away...with no worries of it spreading....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I know what you mean. When I was about 12.we lost a house to suspicious circumstances. Lost everything.

This utterly naive idea of what can be done with bush trimming with 75-80 mph winds blowing embers from chapparal at night as occurred in the Creek Fire is ... better not say but, let us just say indicates no understanding of the reality of the situation. Fire does not pick and choose with political affiliation.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And how many wildfires have you fought?

Clue: I used to have a USFS "Red Card" and got paid to fight wildfires. High winds and all. Grass fires and canopy fires. Watching trees candle from nothing but convective heating. Cut firelines with a mattock and soaked hotspots with a pee pack. BTDT.

I also have a fair amount of architectural experience and know what kinds of structures burn and why.

It is absolutely possible to build a house that won't burn from the outside from ember contact, and it's not appreciably more expensive than "standard" construction.

It is absolutely possible to design your property with sufficient fire break to keep your properly designed home from igniting from either thermal radiation or convective heating.

You just need to think ahead and build to the conditions.

Of course, it's harder when other homes on the interface are not properly built or landscaped, but it can certainly be done.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

https://youtu.be/Mi067FajpRY

Well just take that red card and run right up that hill and put this out. It is the 405 near the Getty and Skirball centers. Record rain year in CA. Followed by near record heat 110℉ + dry conditions and high winds. These fires easily jump the freeway at times as happened earlier this year 15 miles north and you can see how wide the freeway is. This is reality not arm chair fire fighting where it is all so simple.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:28 pm https://youtu.be/Mi067FajpRY

Well just take that red card and run right up that hill and put this out. It is the 405 near the Getty and Skirball centers. Record rain year in CA. Followed by near record heat 110℉ + dry conditions and high winds. These fires easily jump the freeway at times as happened earlier this year 15 miles north and you can see how wide the freeway is. This is reality not arm chair fire fighting where it is all so simple.
+1

Stay safe.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Got to clear the brush,but then when it rains the hillside washes your home away. Your screwd either way. Plant properly,build properly and mow brush low. When the fires come all you can do is leave and hope. Maybe leave firemen a 12 pack!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Again, Polly Anna devoid of reality except for hope and pray.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The Thomas fire (the one up north in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties) has just claimed the life of a firefighter. An engineer from San Diego. I don't know the details yet, but should the fire have been arson, the perpetrator should be charged with murder.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm The Thomas fire (the one up north in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties) has just claimed the life of a firefighter. An engineer from San Diego. I don't know the details yet, but should the fire have been arson, the perpetrator should be charged with murder.
I read on the news that it was a homeless encampment. :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Prayers sent for safety for the rest of the firefighters. What say we move the politics of the situation to the politics section of the forum.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost