Lee Liquid Alox

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Lee Liquid Alox

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have used this on Lee "Tumble Lube" bullets and it seemed to work fine at handgun velocities. Does it prevent leading with conventional cast bullets as well? Thinking of trying it on some 250-grain Keiths in the .44 Special.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee Liquid Alox

Post by fordwannabe »

Personal experience is LLA at handgun velocities and obsolete rifle dash calibers is ok. Ben's red for higher velocities. Just what I do.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I use it on all my cast bullets, hand gun & rifle, seems to work good when pushed up to 1800 fps in 30-30
for me in hand guns wheel weight lead is hard enough, any harder & it seems to lead some,I cast for 32 H&R - 38-40 - 38- 357
38-40 - 44-40 & 45 colt, some times I will gc the 357 with a Lyman bullet & step it up some & that works well also

Brad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

LLA works well with conventional grooved cast bullets but I don't like the mess of having it all over the nose of the bullet where it does no good at all. I sometimes just dip the bases ( up to the top lube groove) in thinned LLA and stand them on their bases on waxed paper to dry, two coats are needed with thinned LLA. Almost as much trouble as using a lubrisizer .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks fellas. Got down to 14 here in the desert this morning, so I am guessing my LLA is currently a solid.

:lol:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:46 pm Thanks fellas. Got down to 14 here in the desert this morning, so I am guessing my LLA is currently a solid.

:lol:
Im high tech in warming up LLA, hair dryer in summer time & the pot of hot water on the wood stove this time of year

Brad
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I'm sure you've heard about Ben's Liquid Lube formula? I've been using it for awhile now and like it a lot! Fastest I've shot was over 2400 f.p.s. out of a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with no leading. Stuff works great!

Here's the link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... iquid-Lube

Mainehunter
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm I'm sure you've heard about Ben's Liquid Lube formula? I've been using it for awhile now and like it a lot! Fastest I've shot was over 2400 f.p.s. out of a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with no leading. Stuff works great!

Here's the link:

Mainehunter
Since the original Johnsons Liquid wax has been discontinued, In Sept. of '16, it appears Ben updated it to: 30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral spirits (or naptha). Pour together & shake, no heating required.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I use it for bulk loads ...mainly the 9mm....6 cavity lee mould...124 tc....6 gr. Herco.....thousands of these loads have passed through the crowns of my Uzi's, several Smith semi-autos...new and 1st. gen.....even an early pair of American Eagle and Kreighoff 9mm German Lugers.

The same common sense applies to using LLA as conventional sizing and lubing......match the velocity, alloy, powder, and sizing diameter....---6
Model A Uzi’s
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Old Ironsights wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:55 pm
Mainehunter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:23 pm I'm sure you've heard about Ben's Liquid Lube formula? I've been using it for awhile now and like it a lot! Fastest I've shot was over 2400 f.p.s. out of a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with no leading. Stuff works great!

Here's the link:

Mainehunter
Since the original Johnsons Liquid wax has been discontinued, In Sept. of '16, it appears Ben updated it to: 30% LLA or Xlox /30% Lundmark Liquid Wax /40% Mineral spirits (or naptha). Pour together & shake, no heating required.
Well that’s par for the course! :| I still have half can left of Johnson liquid wax so should be good for awhile longer. Have you tried the different formula?

Mainehunter
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mainehunter, I had forgotten about Ben's lube, having a love/hate relationship with the Cast Boolits Web site. I will have to mix up a batch of his formula No. 2.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Yeah I know what you mean about the CB forum. I visit there often for info but hardly log on and participate. Too political and BIG ego's for my taste. I deal enough with that at work!

Mainehunter
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Agree with you, MH. Also, the search function is fiddly and the classified rules are ridiculous. I posted something for sale there that I had forgotten I had posted somewhere else. Someone ratted me out, the ad was pulled and I got a nasty note from a moderator saying I had accrued several demerits and I was on the way to being banned. Life is much too short to put up with such grade-school behavior.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, alox works. I've used it on every kind of cast bullet I've cast. I didn't like goop on the nose of my bullets so I "dip lubed" my bullets (grab bullet by the nose and dip into alox and set, base down on wax paper or alum. foil). Alox is not my sole bullet lube as I use traditional lubes on my Magnum rounds and some of my rifle rounds. An "improved" alox tumble lube is 45-45-10 (45% alox, 45% beeswax, 10% mineral spirits).

I've been on castboolits.com for many years and don't see the "egos". When a stupid comment is made, yes, someone will correct it, but no more egotistic gurus than any other forum. "Principles before personalities". Staying away from a forum/group because you don't like some members is just "cutting your nose off to spite your face"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was about to order a couple of Lee push-through sizing dies and am glad Graf's warned me that Liquid Alox is no longer included.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also have used Lee liquid alox with good success. But only on handguns with shorter barrels. I tried it on some rifle loads but it runs out of lube before it reaches the muzzle and leads up the front half of the bore.
I've also used my home brew lube that is close to SPG and I can wipe it in the grooves. It works better to fill more lube in the grooves, and will hold up to longer barrels.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/