Engraving Ideas for 1885 High Wall...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Engraving Ideas for 1885 High Wall...

Post by Old No7 »

Dang!! I put a huge ding and scratch into my Winchester/Miroku .38-55 High Wall a few years ago when a punch slipped while replacing a broken sear spring... Gosh dang it...

So maybe that's why it's been sitting in the very back of the safe for over 7 years, since I moved into this new house. Anyway, since this rifle does have a lever, I'll be keeping it in my collection. But it's time that I've got to do something about the damage...

I've tried cold blue, even Brownell's Oxpho Blue, and it just won't take or hide it... But I'm told that I've earned a Christmas Bonus, so now I'm thinking of having some modest engraving done to try and "hide" the ding and scratch. Since locksmithing has been my family's vocation for well over 125 years, although now I only work at it on the side, I figured that I'd work some "keys" into the pattern.

First off, here's the damage that was done...

Winch High Wall 38-55 (6) (Medium).jpg

I've spent hours looking at images of high & low wall, single shots and rifle engraving online, and this is what I came up with for an idea. I know that some others would want game animals inserted, or something else -- and I thought about the caliber numerals, ".38-55" -- but for sure, I wouldn't want to put my initials into the opening, yet I'm thinking that "something" needs to be put in the center to balance out the pattern. So here's a rough draft of the pattern for the scrolls on the flat-sided receiver, with the keys motif added. There are 4 keys because my late father -- who loved single shot rifles -- had 4 sons, and we each got a High Wall after he passed... (The one I got was one-digit different than this one, also in .38-55, but I traded that off for a Low Wall in 17 HMR to use for fox and small game.)

High Wall Engraving - Keys final (Medium).jpg

On a much better day, here she is at the range -- along with the palm rest I'd added...

Winch High Wall 38-55 (1) (Medium).jpg

Curious about your thoughts on this, thanks.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Engraving Ideas for 1885 High Wall...

Post by Sixgun »

#7,
Thoughts?....nothing beats the thoughts that YOU have in mind. If your going to spend the big bucks, it would make sense to have something engraved that would appeal to a future buyer...this way you are not "spending money", but "investing money".

I've bought several very nice condition Winchesters for about half of what they were worth because someone engraved something personal on the receiver...which means nothing to a future buyer.

But....that's your call.......I've always liked the original Winchester engraving style. This one was factory engraved on a 1892 half mag saddle ring carbine back in 1912.

Doug Turnbull has all of the original designs ....and.....he has the engraver who can do it.----6

By the way, I could fix that scratch and it would take a guy with a magnifier to detect it....most any decent Smith could fix that without a total reblue.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Goodness gracious, a .38-55 High Wall with palm rest and everything? Let Sixgun fix that owie and get it to the range, man!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:50 am Let Sixgun fix that owie and get it to the range, man!
PM Message sent to Sixgun. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:07 pm
But I'm told that I've earned a Christmas Bonus, so now I'm thinking of having some modest engraving done to try and "hide" the ding and scratch. Since locksmithing has been my family's vocation for well over 125 years, although now I only work at it on the side, I figured that I'd work some "keys" into the pattern.

High Wall Engraving - Keys final (Medium).jpg

Looks good - Remember, accuracy is key...... ;)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You need a Swiss buttplate to put on that gun when using the palm rest! It will really help the offhand shooting! I think I've got a couple investment cast off the original Winchester small Swiss.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would file and sand it smooth and then blue it. It has too be done to engrave it any way
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

44shooter wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm I would file and sand it smooth and then blue it. It has too be done to engrave it any way
But you want to wait on bluing until after it's engraved! ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm [quote=44shooter post_id=805958 time=<a href="tel:1512848524">1512848524</a> user_id=5866]
I would file and sand it smooth and then blue it. It has too be done to engrave it any way
But you want to wait on bluing until after it's engraved! ;)
[/quote]

Of course. I wouldn't bother with engraving.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, you've ruined it for any further, and accurate use. But, because I like you, I'll take it off your hands for a hundred bucks....don't thank me.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

I like the keys, keep it for the family, if it was mine, as soon as I got it back I would scratch it some where else, l justify my scratches as character.