New Rear Sight For The Rossi

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

New Rear Sight For The Rossi

Post by JimT »

When I was visiting Paco this last month he showed me one of his leverguns that had a problem. The action was locked open, hammer back, and could not be closed. The trigger was locked as well as the hammer. He knew I had messed with the Model 92 and let me tear it apart. Turns out there was a small piece of metal in the sear notch of the hammer that had kept everything from moving. I messed with the rifle for about 4 hours and got it working just fine. When I was done Paco looked it over, checked and then handed it to me and said "It's yours!"

I was flabbergasted. I told him I did not work on it because I wanted it. He said he knew and that he wanted me to have it. So I now have a Rossi Model 92 rifle .. not a carbine .. with the octagon barrel.

When I got back to Texas this last week I called Steve Young at Steve's Gunz and ordered one of his bolt-mounted aperture sights for the Rossi. It has that darn safety thing on the bolt and I wanted to get rid of that ... PLUS my old eyes work better with the "peep" sight. I got it installed yesterday ... removed the aperture that came with it and am just using the ghost ring. It will work for my old eyes.

i will get out and sight it in next week or so. It is too cold and windy right now and in my old age I have become a fair weather shooter!! I will let you know how it goes.

I also removed the dinky front sight and installed a Marbles with the white bead so I can see it better

Last was a home-made dovetail blank. Ain't as pretty as a store-bought one but I made it and it works and that suits me.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Rear Sight For The Rossi

Post by fordwannabe »

Good friends are a treasure.What caliber is itt?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Oh sorry ... left that out ... it's .38/.357 Magnum
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well that's just cool!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, I believe you are going to be very happy with Steve's rear sight. I bought one for the Rossi Mare's Leg I owned a while back and it sure made that unusual piece of iron easier to shoot accurately -- and got rid of that ridiculous safety.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That was very nice of Paco, Jim - congrats on your choice of friends ! . :mrgreen:

If you want to upgrade your dovetail slot filler, a nice one can be filed up from the male dovetail portion of just about any old rear barrel longleaf open sight.

Image Image

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 pm
If you want to upgrade your dovetail slot filler, a nice one can be filed up from the male dovetail portion of just about any old rear barrel longleaf open sight.
Thanks. I did something similar in my Trapper. Works well.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 pm If you want to upgrade your dovetail slot filler, a nice one can be filed up from the male dovetail portion of just about any old rear barrel longleaf open sight.
Hey, I do that too! I've made them "arrow shaped" before too, with a point towards the muzzle and a flat (not V notched) rear.

Great idea, and it's cheaper than buying one of those inserts that hardly ever fit or look right.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm
Jim, I believe you are going to be very happy with Steve's rear sight.

I bought one for the Rossi Mare's Leg I owned a while back and it sure made that unusual piece of iron easier to shoot accurately -- and got rid of that ridiculous safety.
Doesn't Steve make his sight so that if it's turned 90-degrees, the lower part blocks the FP just like the issue safety - or is that only an option (safety/no-safety) ?

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't know. Mine does not have that option ..... would not want it if it did.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

yep, I like peeps now, Installed one on my rossi 92 , love it! That safety is a joke. :roll:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot