FYI: It's Safe................ Until It Isn't

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

FYI: It's Safe................ Until It Isn't

Post by Pete44ru »

How many times have we heard, from someone warned about shooting a (pick one) particular type/brand firearm: "Heck, I've been shooting it that way for years." ? ?

A lawsuit has been launched against Savage Arms: [ WARNING ! Graphic Images !] http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/05/us ... laims.html

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: FYI: It's Safe................ Until It Isn't

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I hope it was in that cradle when it was fired and that someone didn't lose or damage their left hand from that. Of course, they could have done that for show due to needing a picture to go with the article ... stuffing multiple conicals onto a charge of smokeless, etc.

The article seems to indicate poor barrel material ... or perhaps inconsistent metallurgy at least. Isn't the 10ML supposed to be the only muzzle loader qualified for smokeless? Perhaps I'm mis-remembering those claims.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Barrel obstruction? Double projectile?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

I have read that Savage has settled other cases out of court regarding the barrel issues on this muzzleloader?
Don't know details, most likely because of non-disclosure as part of settlements?
Smokeless powder in a muzzleloader, seems strange to me, but some states laws allow it?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

They've made quite a few settlements, as well as discontinuing the model. Smokeless muzzleloaders have always seemed like a bad idea to me. I imagine a properly-built one would be safe as long as the shooter was always exactingly scrupulous in loading, but still much easier to blow up than either a BP muzzleloader or a cartridge gun.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bunch of drama over the years with this model. About 3-4 years back when I read up on all the stuff I could find it seemed mostly bogus, and NOT related to "using [the appropriate] smokeless powder in a muzzleloader". I think there is a potential issue in the breech plug design that wasn't ideal.

Here's one of the threads: https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=29153

Just being 'smokeless' is in itself no contraindication to muzzleloading; it would be the rate of pressure rise that must match black powder, and several smokeless powders do that nicely and gently.

I'm betting however that it is more likely that someone uses the wrong powder in it than in one that only allows 'black'.

I'm betting you could thread a breech plug into a Ruger #1 in 45-70, and load it with any smokeless powder 45-70 data and a nice lead or saboted bullet, and it would do Just fine, 'smokeless' or not.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have put hundreds of shots down range with my ML-2 using 4759 without incident. But that's just me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I once heard of an early Stainless steel that was used for barrels. That SS mix was just fine at normal temps... One went on a polar bear hunt, guy took a shot and the barrel parted ways with the receiver and hurt the hunter and guide.

I have a buddy that has one of these Savages, have to send this to him.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:22 pm
I'm betting you could thread a breech plug into a Ruger #1 in 45-70, and load it with any smokeless powder 45-70 data and a nice lead or sabot bullet, and it would do Just fine, 'smokeless' or not.

You'd win that bet, Doc - I did just that with a Ruger #1 about 20 years ago (I had a LOT of disposable income, back then), utilizing a Remington 700M breechplug and a H&R Huntsman-type telescoping ramrod I carried in straps atop my haversack.

However, I only used Holy Black.... :roll: