Amazing SAVAGE deals!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Amazing SAVAGE deals!

Post by rbertalotto »

The new gun / new cartridge bug hit me this week.
CDNN has the Savage rifle with scope on sale for $399 with a $100 rebate from Savage the final cost is $299!

And then Cabelas offers the varmint weight Savage model 12 with 26” barrel for $419 and the $100 rebate brings it down to $319!!!

I bought one of each in a new cartridge to me...6.5 Creedmoor

Now I just need to find some range time!
Last edited by rbertalotto on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Amazing Ruger deals!

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ruger? I was hoping to hear you bought a bunch of OM Bearcats and Blackhawks! Hope to see a range report soon...
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:39 am Ruger? I was hoping to hear you bought a bunch of OM Bearcats and Blackhawks! Hope to see a range report soon...
That 3-screw Blackhawk thread has him ALL messed up! Probably couldn't see the keyboard well to type. :D

I've been trying to ignore all those ads. I'm trying to thin out my safe and all the bargains are killing me.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

"RUGER".......RUGER????

I meant SAVAGE!

Yes, there are some great Ruger deals out there too...... :oops:
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Amazing SAVAGE deals!

Post by zoner »

there are some good gun deals out there. On Black Friday i picked up a TC Compass bolt gun for $199 after rebate. I got a 223, didn't need it but the price,adjustable trigger, and 100 yd MOA guarantee kind of got the best of me. Doing a camo krylon job on the stock today.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

zoner, can you post pictures and how you did the camo job. i want to do this to the sporter Savage.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i'll try to post a pic of the contender carbine i did
IMG_0146.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

here's the compass. Thats three colors of spray paint and a piece of natural sponge......Mike
compass.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Nice...how is it holding up. Did you put a clear coat on top?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Zoner,
You mentioned the adjustable trigger of the compass. I fell for that too. Picked up a compass in a 6.5 and found the trigger poor and not even close to adjustable down to what they claim. An internet search finds lots of people in my same situation.
It seems the pre-recall rifles had fully adjustable triggers, but that caused problems with the guns going off when dropped. After the recall, the triggers are "adjustable" but not the same and won't go down to decent pull. Mine is adjusted as light as it goes and is a very heavy 6 pounds.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

mine came to me adjusted all the way down too. Havent put a gauge on it but it feels like about 4lbs to me. After looking at it if the trigger needs more work i'd be tempted to try replacing that spring with a lighter(thinner wire) one and then try adjusting it but i still havent been to the range with it to see how it works out. I did put a clear coat(matte) over my paint job. I'm hoping it'll become a seviceable coyote/varmint rifle i can use when i go to my place in AZ......Mike
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I like the paint job. Was thinking of doing something similar with mine. We have a lot of snow up here in the winter and would like it to blend in.
Mine shoots great. I think their 5R rifling is pretty good. Just hate the trigger.
I suppose what will happen is someday Timney will make a $125 trigger for it, and I'll buy it to update my $199 rifle :lol:
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

after doing some research i just ordered a Winchester Model 70 target trigger spring from a place called ernie's gunsmithing. I'm gonna replace the factory Compass spring with the model 70 spring and see what i get, and of course make sure the safety still works like it's supposed to. Will report back.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I'll be watching for your update!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Took the two Savage rifles to the range yesterday. The #12 shot 3/8” groups with various loads. Put a Leupold 8-25 scope on it. Amazing accuracy .

The #11 did just s bit over 1” with the 3-9 scope it came with.

H4350 was the best powder with Sierra 140g bullets.

Simply can’t beat this type of performance for this kind of money!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

ndcowboy, my trigger spring came in the mail today. Replacing the spring took about ten minutes start to finish,including disassembling and reassembling the action to stock. Did all the safety checks and everything is good. My trigger break went from 5.5-6 lbs to a very nice 3.25 break. Cost me $6.95 + shipping. Very happy :D :D
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Zoner,
Thanks for the update! I'll have to order one. I like the rifle other than that trigger.
Just picked up 300 Hornady 143 ELDx bullets for less than $30 a box. Long winter nights around here make for lots of reloading time.
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

your welcome