410 Double///for MM Wright

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

410 Double///for MM Wright

Post by JerryB »

Many years ago, back about 1961, my dad gave my sister his 410 double barrel for her two sons. The oldest boy was not a hunter but he kept the gun most of the time. They lived on the coast in south Florida. The youngest boy grew up in the woods hunting and fishing like a boy should. He only got to shoot the gun a couple of times. The one with the gun pawned it a few time and the other would get it out and the oldest would take it home. He finally got him to let him keep the gun for a while because his daughter is old enough to start shooting.
Our daughter was in Florida for a week visiting with the second nephew and his family. He sent the gun home with her so I could try to get it cleaned up and some minor work done on it. He told me on the phone that it would make me sick to see it, he was right. The gun is a Western Arms Long Range 410 double with 26 in barrels. The serial number dates it to 1929. They were made in the Ithica factory. I am going to take it to my friend the gunsmiths shop in the morning. I have talked to him about the gun and he is looking forward to start on it. Nephew said to keep it and squirrel hunt with it and they will be up in a few months to get it. That Florida weather and not being cleaned and oiled sure takes a toll on fine old guns!!!!
MM what is the barrel length of your 410 double? Mine is 26 inches. How are they choked? I read on the site for the company that some were full choke with both barrels. Just wondering, I reckon my gunsmith can check them.
Last edited by JerryB on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 410 Double

Post by Ray Newman »

Those old 410 doubles are really nice looking. Once saw a English-made pre WW II (??) 410 double that was built on a 28 gauge/410 sized frame. Made a 20 gauge frame look huge! Hope the restoration works out
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

No photos :cry:
Interesting story :)
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Savage used to make a nice looking .410 bore double, and it was a light, slim little gun. Those guns made as .410 and not just .410 on a stock designed for 20 gauge were a real pleasure to hold.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too hope the gun can be restored, I can never understand why anyone can abuse a perfectly good gun and turn it into junk. My local dealer has lots of old firearms turned in that I would love to buy but sadly they were owned by uncaring individuals and fit only for deactivation and hung on a wall :cry:
I'm currently looking for a decent and cheap double .410 but they seem to be the most neglected and a lot have rotten bores.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a shame, yeah the climate didn't help but the neglect hasn't helped either.
What's your plan? Re-blue, refinish the wood? Just remember NO HOT BLUE!!! The salts will eat away at the solder joints. Must be " Belgian " blued.
Please post some before & after pic !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Cabelas in Owatonna had quite a few s/s and o/u's in both 410 and 28 gauge. Nice trim light handling.
Hope you get yours up and running shortly... Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hope it can be saved, Jerry. A .410 double can be a beautiful thing. I continue to be tempted by the Turkish Yildiz .410 double and over-and-under sold by Academy Sports. These get very good reviews at Shotgun World.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

With all due respect, please ensure that your gunsmith takes care with it, as there is more to it than meets the eye.

Unlike the rest of the double shotguns made by Ithaca, which all had forged steel receivers/frames, the econo Western Arms Long Range doubles have frames made of malleable iron, that were originally given a CCH look with a cyanide process.

They are decent utility guns (I've had examples in 12 & 20 ga), and I doubt that a .410 would put as much strain on the action as there would be if it was a 12 or 20ga, shooting modern magnum loads.

I'm glad it's now in more deserving hands.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks for all the good comments on the little double. I will try and get my grandson form Texas Scrateshooter to post some pictures before and after the work. I will take some this morning before I take it to the shop.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

I have a little early model Savage O/U - 22/410 that is small, accurate and easy handling.
This is one of the guns bought to train my grandson to shoot before he moved on to his own Henry .22 lever action and 20 and then a 12 gauge Weatherby over under shotguns.
I have since used it to train a couple of other kids to shoot 22 and 410.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

JerryB,
What a great coincidence. When I was 12, (66 years ago) my parents gave me, for Christmas, a Western Arms, by Ithica double barreled 410. The first thing I killed with it was a Canada goose! I once fell off a 12' bluff with it and the butt stock got damaged but it is still extant though it now belongs to my oldest Grandson. I'll have to look but I think it is in my safe since Grandson is on active duty in the Navy. Yeah, I'm proud of him.
I can recommend Brownell's rust bluing liquid. I've used it on several SAAs and the only heat is boiling the parts in water to set the black before carding. Great stuff and easy to do. I'd leave the frame alone as french grey or in the white receivers are correct for double bbls.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hope ya get it fixed up 8)
When I was about ten years old I saved up 35.00 dollars in coin in a milk jar and bought a Stevens 311 in 410 and still have it.
Shot a lot of grouse and a couple pheasants, don`t use it much anymore. :)
Hope ya don`t mind me showing it.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those little .410 doubles are great. I had an Iver Johnson once that I truly wish I still had.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is what the .410 Ithaca/Western Arms Long Range double looked like when it was new, cyanide CCH colors & all:

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Our oldest daughter is here for a visit from Yuma She had a friend go with her today for a drive in the mountains so they dropped the gun off at the at the gunsmith shop. He told her it won't need a reblue, just a lot of cleaning inside and out. M.M. I found as site with the date of manufacturing this one dates to 1929. I reckon the 410 double was a popular shotgun. Pitchy yours still looks good. I don't remember if this gun was case colored or not. I am looking forward to shooting it again.