Ruger 3 screw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Ruger 3 screw

Post by Plottman »

I came across 2 - 1966 ruger 357 blackhawks, very good shape 85 - 90 %, no transfer safety bar on either. I gave one to a buddy as a gift. he sent it to ruger to have transfer bar installed. Ruger told him it was to old, but would send him a new one. My question is would you prefer to have pristine 50 year old with no transfer safety bar, or a new ruger single action ?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger 3 screw

Post by 2ndovc »

Night and day difference between the two. I have both, and Old Model Super Blackhawk and a new SBH. They're both great revolvers but the Old Model's trigger and action are 100 times smoother. The only real drawback is that one "should" carry only five rounds in an Old Model cyl. for safety reasons. They can go off if dropped just right.

But that's just me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I sent in a late-50's or early-60's Single Six for the transfer bar mod; I didn't think any of the Rugers would be "too old" for that....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I would never accept a new model in exchange for a "pristine" old model.
Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never Never

Jack
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If Ruger is refusing to do the conversion and offering a swap, there is something wrong with the revolver that they consider irreparable, either because of unavailability of parts or some safety concern. If they considered the gun sound, they'd do the conversion no matter how old it is.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

I, was very suprised that ruger could not install transfer bar, and the one i kept is very smooth.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jhrosier wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 am I would never accept a new model in exchange for a "pristine" old model.

Jack
What Jack said, I have three OM Ruger SAs, Only the 357 had been back to the factory before I got it for the corruption ,,,,,, 'er conversion action, and that had been removed before I got it with the original action reinstalled.
I would not ruin a nice OM Ruger by doing that to it.
If I became so paranoid that I felt the Sam Colt / Bill Ruger design was unsafe, I'd buy a NM and rathole the OM.
However since the only SA I've ever had an ND with was a NM BH I refuse to own one. I consider them unsafe.

Tell your friend to get that OM back, and learn the proper way to use it. It's a better gun than the NMs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jhrosier wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 am I would never accept a new model in exchange for a "pristine" old model.

Jack
Pisgah wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 am If Ruger is refusing to do the conversion and offering a swap, there is something wrong with the revolver that they consider irreparable, either because of unavailability of parts or some safety concern. If they considered the gun sound, they'd do the conversion no matter how old it is.
Or someone at Ruger wants to KEEP that 3-screw for themselves.
I have never heard of one being "too old" for the conversion. Tell them you want it back or tell them you want 2 for 1.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

It was a very nice 6.5 inch, very tight, and smooth, i was disappointed, he sent it back, but i gave it to him, it was his. Just a light circle around cylinder.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Plottman wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 am I came across 2 - 1966 ruger 357 blackhawks, very good shape 85 - 90 %, no transfer safety bar on either. I gave one to a buddy as a gift. he sent it to ruger to have transfer bar installed. Ruger told him it was to old, but would send him a new one. My question is would you prefer to have pristine 50 year old with no transfer safety bar, or a new ruger single action ?
Pristine 50 year old with NO transfer bar. What length barrel... I'm wanting a 3-screw 4-5/8" in .357?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Having grown up on Colt single actions and the Old Model Ruger I have never gotten used to the New Model action and don't care for it. And I sure would not ruin an old model Ruger by having the conversion done to it.

The new model action feels like a cheap cap gun, especially when the trigger goes forward and the internals go to clicking and clacking.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sort of like trading in Raquel Welch for Miley Ray Cyrus.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

NO, absolutely no way Jose would I swap a three screw for new model. And no way would I send in a pristine, 50 year old “ collectible” , valuable three screw for the conversion.

This is such a sad story I’m crying in my Cheerios
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
redhawk
Levergunner 1.0

Post by redhawk »

No trade-in for me. Would love to have that OM 3screw instead of the lawyer bars. Same with cross bolt safeties on leverguns.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

rbertalotto wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am NO, absolutely no way Jose would I swap a three screw for new model. And no way would I send in a pristine, 50 year old “ collectible” , valuable three screw for the conversion.

This is such a sad story I’m crying in my Cheerios
Try some millenial Super Sugary Candy-O's! They'll perk you right up :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jack
+ infinity!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 am Sort of like trading in Raquel Welch for Miley Ray Cyrus.
Perfect analogy!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would keep it original. I have both and like both for different reasons.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...