Marlin 36a bolt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 36a bolt

Post by model55 »

Does anyone know if the breech bolt on a 1893 is the same as those used in the model 36a's. I have a 36a from around the late 40's , while every thing appears to be in great shape,it has a problem firing.This has a two piece firing pin and I have changed hammer springs but that hasn't cured the problem so I thought ( and this may have been a bad thought ) I'd lightly dermal around the hole where the second part ( back ) of the firing pin goes to strike front part of the firing pin,still no love.I can cock the rifle and set the hammer on the firing pin and it will stop about an eighth or an inch short of the bolt so there is interference some where.If I press on the back of the hammer it will move forward with spring pressure helping.If I press a small screw drive against it seems to hang up till I press at the bottom of the firing pin which seems to work better making me think it needs to be in better alignment. Hate to give up but have found an 1893 bolt which appears very similar online,wondering if it might be a cure.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 36a bolt

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry I cannot help with that question but I lnow for a fact the carriers will interchange.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Doesn't someone make a one piece firing pin for the Marlins? Seems to me I've heard the SASS Marlin shooters talk about adding a one piece firing pin.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Thank you both for the replies!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The 1893 bolt and 36 bolt will interchange. But it might be another issue, and changing breech bolts may not fix it. Have you looked at the locking bolt that pushes the rear firing pin half up into alignment? If it's not fully up it wont allow the rear pin to strike the front fully. You can remove the breech bolt, and the locking bolt. Then push the locking bolt up into the breech bolt recess and see if the firing pin rear moves up properly.
You should also strip the firing pins out of the breech bolt and use a drill bit of the same diameter as the firing pin to slip in the bolt by hand and feel if there's any obstruction inside the firing pin hole that might restrict travel.
These are very simple actions, and not tough to troubleshoot. I'd get the 36 bolt going, rather than swap bolts. A different bolt might fit, but it could leave your gun with improper headspace, so you'd have another problem to fix. Every breech bolt and barrel are fitted to their actions, and not a drop in fit.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
The locking bolt not engaging for some reason sounds real to me..
My opinion is to stay away from the one piece firing pins, BECAUSE,
if the locking bolt doesn't get properly into place and push the rear firing
pin into position, the bolt isn't properly locked and may put a dent in your forehead...

Just my opinion...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Had wondered about that and thought that one piece firing pin was more of a model 1894 fix for cowboy action shooting.My rifle is basically a 1893 which doesn't have the later lever safety.I'm concerned about the lock up as well as my "cure" for it :roll: .
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Marlinman, I will give that a try.Thank you .