browning miroku 1886 mainspring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joeng
Levergunner

browning miroku 1886 mainspring

Post by joeng »

Hi,
I have one of those Miroku 1886 with the coil mainspring. There are two "pins" that go in either end, one conical, the other a solid tube that slides into the first inside the coil when the hammer is cocked.

Problem is I cannot get that spring compressed to get my rifle reassembled! The rest was easy but now I am stumped.

in 2010 another member wrote, "The long skinny end goes into the other larger end, and the larger end goes to the hammer. To compress the spring you assemble every thing but the hammer screw and compress the spring by pushing the hammer into place wile inserting the hammer screw."

Will try that again, but anyone have another tip offer?

Thanks. Great rifle!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: browning miroku 1886 mainspring

Post by vancelw »

It's been too long since I had my Browning 1886 apart. I just today reassembled 2 Winchester 71 rifles and they were different from my Browning 71s.

I found it easiest to preload the trigger spring. Is there a small pinhole in the hammer spring guide that you can stick a small Allen wrenc in to hold the tension while you assemble?

Post a pic of the hammer, spring, spring guide, and spring guide stop.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...plenty of tips here for a guy who has one post and needs something and writes the post with an attitude of "you guys have to help me.....NOW!.... ......can you spell....g-u-n-s-m-i-t-h?

My uneducated assumption is that you drive around in a 50k pick up truck. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

Actually, a $20,000 Ford. And a regular at Targetmaster on 202. Unless maybe I should stop going?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

joeng wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 pm Actually, a $20,000 Ford. And a regular at Targetmaster on 202. Unless maybe I should stop going?
Small world. Karma. Whatever :lol:

Did you get a chance to post a pic of your trigger parts? I made a real simple solution to preload my trigger spring. Would have to if you could do the same.

Ignore the lushes. There are still plenty who will help.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What's the matter Vancy....late on your child support or is it your used car payments? :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:40 am What's the matter Vancy....late on your child support or is it your used car payments? :D
Stone cold sober. You ought to try it sometime.
Thanks for welcoming the new board member, in the manner that only you can do.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

[
IMG_7203.jpg

thats the main spring, in pieces. The two fittings slide into each end. Will post photo of tang later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I can't tell from the photo, but is there not a pin hole in the lower end of that top piece? If so, you can compress that spring on the guide rod and slip a small allen wrench in there to retain it. I drilled a hole (the same size as that guide rod) right on the edge of a board. Then placed the spring on the guide rod and center it over the hole. I then used a C-clamp to compress the spring by pushing that guide rod down through the hole in the board. As soon as the pinhole was visible I slipped the allen wrench in.
An extra pair of hands helps, but with a little trial and error you can do it yourself. There are probably much safer designs for a tool to help you preload that spring, but I was in a hurry.

By preloading it, you should be able to assemble everything and get it lined up before removing the allen wrench releasing the spring.

But, all my advice may be for naught. With that lower piece in the picture, you may not be able to assemble it with something in that pinhole.

If you can't get it figured out in a few days, PM me and I'll take mine apart and figure it out.
Don't go to a gunsmith. He will do it by trial and error, too. Might as well learn yourself rather than pay someone else to learn.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

Here's a photo or two. The small fitting is simply wedged against the tang fitting and the conical end goes in the divot in the hammer. no pin hole I can see. The c clamp idea may work. Thanks will advise
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

here's a close up
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

joeng wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am Here's a photo or two. The small fitting is simply wedged against the tang fitting and the conical end goes in the divot in the hammer. no pin hole I can see. The c clamp idea may work. Thanks will advise
That is similar, yet different :lol: Just enough.
It took me 3 times of recompressing that trigger spring to finally get it right on the 1st rifle I reassembled. 1st time I left a part out and had to take it back apart. 2nd time I had the allen wrench angled down and I needed it up so I could pull it out. 3rd time was the charm.
So, on the 2nd rifle I reassembled everything fell into place 1st attempt. I wondered what all the fuss was the first go around.

By getting that spring compressed you can line up all the holes without tension. But trial and error will tell you which way you have to orient the allen wrench (or whatever you use to capture that spring under tension) so that you can get all the parts into position and still get that put to release the spring. I think a paper clip is too weak.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

Thanks Vancelw. Your idea about a hole in a board gave me an idea about a custom jig...which is this. the small hole is where the end of the spring fitting goes, and the large cut out on top was to clear the screw for the cartridge stop ( I think its called...) you see on the photo with the jig over the stop for the spring fitting that I just fit the small fitting in the cut out and it compressed and really slipped in quite easily. Now I can go load more ammo. (Been using 40 or 45 gn of 4166 and a 300 gn lead bullet for an accurate load that dont beat my shoulder up too much. Got a lever gun competition come January.
Last edited by joeng on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

More than one way to skin a cat.
And you saved $85 bucks an hour.
I know I'm going to invest in more vises and gun clamps.

I had a Browning 71 apart one time to fix a bent firing pin. Ran out of patience trying to get it back together. Finally had to leave it on the bench and go to bed. Next morning I enjoyed a couple cups of black tar coffee before I got the gumption to tackle it again....everything just fell into place 1st try. I didn't even have to throw anything :D
Sometimes you just gotta get your mind right.
Last edited by vancelw on Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

5744 makes good lower recoil loads, but it's gotten to be one of the more expensive powders :cry:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

http://outlawswinchesters.jouwweb.nl/winchester-1886

How close is this tutorial to your rifle?
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

The only significant difference is in the main spring. Thats the guide i used to dissassemble the rifle.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Wow, after the welcoming you got here I had to log in to say this: Welcome to the forum, there are actually a LOT of nice lever gun aficionados here, please dont judge us by the words of a few. (I often wish forums like this would completely get rid of the post count....what does number of posts have to do with wanting info and liking a certain type of firearm?) In any case keep us posted on how it comes out. I have looked at these Browning 1886s many times and one day may spring for one.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

coyote nose wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:09 am I have looked at these Browning 1886s many times and one day may spring for one.
I have had a Browning 1886 rifle with th heavy octagon barrel and loved it. Used it to hunt several Montana Mule deer. But it WAS heavy for toting. So I sold it to a forum member and replaced it with a Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine.
They are a good bang for your buck.
If you come across one at a decent price, the time to grab it is right then, or when you begin to search they will suddenly be no where to be found. I'd sure rather have a Browning than a Chiappa or Pedersoli and the Browning can currently be found for less money if you're patient.
joeng
Levergunner

Post by joeng »

I have the carbine. Heavy, but not too heavy. Working to up to accurate offhand at 100 yards. Biggest problem is seeing the target!
open_book
Levergunner

Post by open_book »

Joeng,

A fellow Browning-Miroku 1886 owner here--these are beautiful rifles. If you are still around, I wanted to ask how your jig has held up over time, and if you are still doing it that way. I have the exact same model, with no place for a pin to capture the main spring.

I had much the same experience you did. Took down the rifle the first time to admire it and clean off the storage grease...then scoured the internet for hours looking for a solution to the mainspring problem. Boy, that spring is strong. After more hours of frustration, working at it with all manner of punches and pins, I finally went to a friend with more tools, and we were able to get the rifle back together with four hands and some sweat. Since then (Spring of 2018), I've avoided disassembling the 1886. Now I have a little more time and space, and I'm looking for a good solution that will work for regular takedown and cleaning. I do intend to clean it regularly, since I would like to put some black powder loads through that 26" octagon barrel.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help a noobie out.

open_book
shasta_steve
Levergunner 1.0

Post by shasta_steve »

open_book wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 am Joeng,

A fellow Browning-Miroku 1886 owner here--these are beautiful rifles. If you are still around, I wanted to ask how your jig has held up over time, and if you are still doing it that way. I have the exact same model, with no place for a pin to capture the main spring.

I had much the same experience you did. Took down the rifle the first time to admire it and clean off the storage grease...then scoured the internet for hours looking for a solution to the mainspring problem. Boy, that spring is strong. After more hours of frustration, working at it with all manner of punches and pins, I finally went to a friend with more tools, and we were able to get the rifle back together with four hands and some sweat. Since then (Spring of 2018), I've avoided disassembling the 1886. Now I have a little more time and space, and I'm looking for a good solution that will work for regular takedown and cleaning. I do intend to clean it regularly, since I would like to put some black powder loads through that 26" octagon barrel.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help a noobie out.

open_book
Welcome Open Book. I have an 1886 Browning too. I recently inherited it and have to say it is probably my favorite rifle right now. I absolutely love shooting it. I was thinking of shooting black powder in mine also but just don't want to deal with the cleaning. I am going to work up a black powder load for my 1874 Pedersoli when I get some free time.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum open_book and joeng! Sixgun will get over his snit, which probably has nothing to do with y'all... Thanks for the pictures and description of how you assembled the mainspring. I also have a Browning 1886, 26" octagon, but have never had it apart! Sits in the safe in the company of many other lever guns!!! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!