Marlin 1897 extractor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1897 extractor

Post by edwardyoung »

Hello,
I just picked up a well-used Marlin 1897, 22 S, L, LR. It’s missing the extractor. I’ve kind-of struck out on finding a replacement. Anyone know of a source( and maybe the part #) that would be correct for this bolt? Thanks
32768453-BEBE-4E48-903E-9DD0F1EE9423.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1897 extractor

Post by Pete44ru »

Going by your pic, it looks like what you need is an early Model 39 extractor, which fits late Model 97's, Model 39's, and Model 39a's up to 1957

Here's the skinny on Marlin RF lever action extractors: http://www.wisnersinc.com/marlin-lever- ... -ejectors/

Wisner's has what you need @ $23 (Wisner's part # 39A-26/27, type 1): http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/marlin- ... n-rimfire/

There are pics of all the various extractors on Wisner's Obsolete Parts website, so you can compare them to what's missing from your bolt recess.

edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Muchas gracias
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Let us know when you have it working.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Will do.

Part is ordered. Like apparently most of these guns, the mag follower has broken loose from the outer mag tube. If I can't get it repaired adequately, I'll try Wisner's mag tube kit when they make another batch. Thanks again
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

edwardyoung wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:24 pm Will do.

Part is ordered. Like apparently most of these guns, the mag follower has broken loose from the outer mag tube. If I can't get it repaired adequately, I'll try Wisner's mag tube kit when they make another batch. Thanks again
Don't waste time and money trying to fix the original mag tube! I've been there and done that, with little success! And the success I had didn't last. The Wisner's tube upgrade takes very minor fitting to install, and fixes the issue completely. I wouldn't go that route on a nice original gun, but for any others it's the best way to get it shooting.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Thanks for the info. I won’t put much effort into making repairs. I’ll keep checking with Wisner’s, and pick up that kit when they become available.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

edwardyoung wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am Muchas gracias

You're entirely welcome ! . :)