Uberti 1886 Sporter vs Pedersoli 1886 Far west both 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
emmettva
Levergunner

Uberti 1886 Sporter vs Pedersoli 1886 Far west both 45-70

Post by emmettva »

I am interested in a heavy 45-70 levergun. Sadly the new manufacture Winchester 1886 with 24" bbl is a fine looker but the crescent buttplate renders it impractical for 40 shot silhouette target shooting eg CLA. The Uberti 1886 Sporter with 26" barrel and shotgun buttplate and checkered pistol grip is VERY similar to the Pedersoli Far West's features but they seem to have different SKU and UPC nos; also the Uberti is reported to weigh 9.1# vs 9.8# for the Pedersoli. An extra half pound would help kill felt recoil-- a plus. Can anyone verify for me that they are NOT the same rifle, and if there is any reason to prefer one over the other. Would appreciate any help
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti 1886 Sporter vs Pedersoli 1886 Far west both 45-70

Post by .45colt »

Welcome to the forum....Here is My take. I own a Pedersoli 86/71 45-70 . It is a fine rifle. the early Pedersoli 86/71 rifles imported thru Cabelas had some problems witch were widely reported by some self appointed "experts" as All being junk.
The Winchester 86's have the rebounding hammer system added ( usually a lot of light hammer strikes or light primer hits) on which usually needs to be eliminated by replacing parts or send the whole rifle to Turnbull and have it made correct as it was designed.
My experience would lead Me to get the Pedersoli Far West , Uberti's are fine rifles but this model is new. One would be well advised to first find a stocking dealer and look it over in YOUR hands before purchase, as I did with My rifle. Good Luck.
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

Plus 1 on the light hammer strikes with the Miroku made Winchester 1886 + when new, my 1886 had an 11 pound trigger pull.
However it was easy to fix; for $100, a CAS friend slicked up the action, lowered the trigger pull to 4 pounds and increased the hammer strike to solve that problem. He also put me on to Federal primers as they were his favorite CAS load primers because they require less force to ignite. I now use them in all my 1886 .45-90 and 1895 .405 WCF hand loads.

You are correct to research these issues before buying any rifle.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

.45colt wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 pm Welcome to the forum....Here is My take. I own a Pedersoli 86/71 45-70 . It is a fine rifle. the early Pedersoli 86/71 rifles imported thru Cabelas had some problems witch were widely reported by some self appointed "experts" as All being junk.
The Winchester 86's have the rebounding hammer system added ( usually a lot of light hammer strikes or light primer hits) on which usually needs to be eliminated by replacing parts or send the whole rifle to Turnbull and have it made correct as it was designed.
My experience would lead Me to get the Pedersoli Far West , Uberti's are fine rifles but this model is new. One would be well advised to first find a stocking dealer and look it over in YOUR hands before purchase, as I did with My rifle. Good Luck.
I might be considered one of those "experts", but I had some very well qualified true experts providing me with information. I purchased two of those guns when they first came out. The first one wouldn't feed at all. Pedersoli never once, I repeat...not once, bothered responded to my pleas for assistance. The place where I bought it had some expertise on these guns and said it was too bad to even try to fix. They gave me another new gun. Same problem with the next one. I found out where Pedersoli had their service center in N. America, and called their master gunsmith (seriously, he is very good...I mean it). He stated that he was in Italy and watched these guns coming off the line and they had a guy at the end of the line filing and working on them before putting then in the box. They knew they had problems and shipped them anyway. He ended up getting them here in the states to work on. He said they were sending to a gunshop in a different state than where he lived and he wouldn't get there for several months to even look at them. I wanted the gun so much that I called Turnbull to see if they could work on it at my expense. They said no, they had already bought some to use as a base gun for their rifles and they were nothing but trouble. They said "get your money back and try to find a Winchester or a Browning". Fortunately for me, Cabela's gave me a full refund and all associated expenses incurred. I don't care if someone wants one and buys one. However, if they read this they may be sorry they didn't pay attention to what was said. I don't have an ax to grind with Pedersoli. They make great Sharps single shots. I've owned three and found no faults with any of them. They just don't make good lever guns. Google the reviews on any of their rifles that are magazine guns. Poor reviews on all of them....check for yourself.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have a Winchester 1886 Take Down (Japan) in 45-70 that I might be persuaded to part with as long as it goes to the right family.

It has been converted to no rebound, half cock hammer with Browning parts. Lots of articles on internet about this.

This rifle is extremely accurate. Marbles Tang Sight to hide the hole where the horrible tang safety was.

I'd have to figure out a price if interested. Won't be cheap... :-)

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

....And a Beech front sight

Hammer down:

Hammer half cock:

Hammer Full Cock:
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

Robert,
Your Miroku 1886 is a lot like mine (also a TD) except you have a shorter chamber. :wink:
I put the Marbles folding barrel sight on for big game up close and the Marbles peep tang for smaller stuff and longer ranges. The combo had worked well.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Sometimes I wish mine was a 45-90
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You say you don't like the crescent butt plate so saw it off and put a recoil pad on it or a solid rubber butt plate. On my original 86 from 1916 I put a leather butt cover that has a gel insert so you don't get any of that crescent coming through. Come to think of it, I have an extra 86 butt stock off a Browning that has a recoil pad installed already. I'd part with it for $75.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS