30-06 loads for between the wars.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

30-06 loads for between the wars.

Post by rjohns94 »

I just purchased a Mauser, made between the wars, and made for long range shooting. It has set triggers, an octagon to round barrel, 28 inches long. Three folding leaf sights and then a ladder scaled to 1000 yards. Made in Germany, marked Germany so I'm guessing a transition piece made for the US market. So were the 30-06 loads different around 1913, if so, what do you reckon the loads were? trying to figure what it might be regulated to or where I should start once it arrives.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 30-06 loads for between the wars.

Post by AJMD429 »

Without seeing some PICTURES of the gun, it would be impossible to recommend a specific load.... :D

(that, plus the fact that I've never reloaded 30-06 to any extent)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Have no idea as to load data for civilian and military .30-06 between the years 1918 -1938.

Another fly in the ointment -- was there a difference in the loading fro .30-06 standard GI issue (the .30 M2 Ball??) and Match ammunition?

Am not 100% certain, but at one time, did not "Cartridges of the World" published US military load data?

Maybe the load data is stamped on the action/barrel as is often found on the old single shot target rifles.
Last edited by Ray Newman on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I dunno... But for older close to original load data, I'd go to the Ackley manuals.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Or, you could use a pre-set range on the sights, and see where POI is, and see if the other distances will wiggle in... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mauser1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mauser12.jpg
mauser4.jpg
mauser10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That's a dandy rifle ya got there Mike 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cshold wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:04 pmThat's a dandy rifle ya got there Mike 8)
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I still don't know any more about loading for 30-06....but thanks for posting the pictures.

That is a BEAUTIFUL gun....! :mrgreen:

I wonder if the DCM would have any information on loads used in that time frame...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

That sight is extremely complex for one load at open sight ranges. My guess is that the maker knew how varied 30-06 ammo already was and put a variety of leaves on the rib so that the hunter could shoot at his preferred range with his favorite load and find the leaf that worked. Would also allow for using different leaves for different loads, just have to be very careful to keep good records of what leaf shoots where with what leaf.

Are the leaves marked at all?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks. What I have found out is in 1906, standard load was 150 grain at 2700fps. In 1926, us went to a 174gr at 2647fps. In 1938, they went to 151gr. 2740fps. The leaves are marked : fixed 100, then 2, 3, 400, then 500 to 1000.
Mike Johnson,

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

In 1916 and ’17 as Captain of Ordnance I had charge of the Army Machine Gun Schools, first on the Mexican Border, then at Springfield. In those days, Frankford Arsenal made the .30-’06 cartridge case of very hard brass to make extraction easier and to improve the functioning in machine guns… we were using the old .30-06 cartridge with 150 grain bullet, 2700 feet per second and not over 50,000 pounds pressure…”

- Maj. General Julian S. Hatcher, in HATCHER’S NOTEBOOK, 2nd Edition, 1st Printing, October 1957, pp. 241-242 (Chapter 10, “Headspace”)

(Highlighting is mine)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks like a spotted to me!
Grand looking piece.
With that wedge in the forearm I thought it's an early in line muzzleloader! :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

In the dim and distant past I remember the standard target load for 06 was 47 to 48 grains of 4895 under a 165 grain bullet. Might be a bit stout with todays powders as Hogdon's online loading data gives a max of 46.7 of H4895 with the 165 Hornady VMX. My Browning Hi-Wall really likes 47.5 of IMR4895 and the 165 Sierra Game King? Can't for sure remember the bullet name.

When you need load info I highly recommend Hodgon's online load manual. 4 step drop down menus gets you to any combo quick and easy.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks gents. NATH: looks like a spotted? Not familiar with that saying...

Based on the info, modern ammo is a bit hotter than the original load. Any thoughts on pressure concerns with using modern ammo in this 100+ year old lady?
Mike Johnson,

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rjohns94 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 am Thanks gents. NATH: looks like a spotted? Not familiar with that saying...

Based on the info, modern ammo is a bit hotter than the original load. Any thoughts on pressure concerns with using modern ammo in this 100+ year old lady?
Sorry, stupid phone.
Sporter, looks like a sporting rifle to me but what do I know.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

You know much. It was advertised as a safari rifle so you are spot on!
Mike Johnson,

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The wrist says sporter to me. :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Agreed
Mike Johnson,

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

MIke, send that rifle on out to me, I'll examine it for you for a few years and let you know if I come up with a good load. All at no charge to you, of course, except for the shipping. :D
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Any 150 gr. load in the vicinity of 2700 fps should get you in the ballpark. One I've had luck with in several rifles is 49.5 gr. of IMR 4895 and a Speer 150 gr. spitzer softpoint.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nath wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am
rjohns94 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 am Thanks gents. NATH: looks like a spotted? Not familiar with that saying...

Sorry, stupid phone.

N.
AutoCorrect can be your wurst enema.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I wouldn't be afraid of modern load data at all, or for that matter factory loads. Practically speaking, I think you are going to have to load to the sights assuming you are going to use them.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:35 pm
Nath wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am

Sorry, stupid phone.

N.
AutoCorrect can be your wurst enema.
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I realize that I am really inexperienced in reloading compared to others on here, but what seems logical to me would be to load about 50 rounds with a 150 grain bullet and maybe 25 of them with 1 powder and 25 with another. Try using powders listed for the lowest pressure for the velocity and work to the others if needed. For a mildly older firearm, I would try to duplicate the velocities from when it was new and try to keek the pressures as low as possible. While assuming good strength in the steel due to it still being around, there is no real need to abuse such a beautifully made gun with constant battering from high pressures of maximum loads.
I admit to going to the maximum on some reloads in my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 and my Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It was fun for a while, but I have backed off to duplicating factory loads or lower in the .480 and by one-third of maximum in the .45 Colt. My palms feel better for it and the accuracy is a little better. This is all what seems logical to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

That is a beautiful sporting Mauser, a true classic. It is every bit as strong as an 03/03A3 Springfield, possibly stronger, and any loads listed for them can be used in your rifle. The .30-06 round is more than adequate for most game and overkill for a lot so you could reduce the government loading and still have an effective round. I agree with piller and for casual shooting I probably would be shooting a mild load and most likely would choose a 150 grain bullet.

The leaves on the express rear sight are intended to be used at different ranges as marked and provide a quick way to adjust elevation. Once a load is settled on the leaves can be filed for zero. An express sight is simple and fast to use in the field, if you haven't used one yet you will learn to love it.