Old Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Old Ammo

Post by stretch »

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Lots to be thankful for this year - especially compared to some others.

Anyway, I acquired an old Model 10 some time back. It was a reserve
police officer's gun, and had hardly been shot. With it was a box of
ammunition - 158gr. LRN. The cases are fine, but the bullets are
HEAVILY oxidized. Shoot 'em as is, or pull the bullets and replace 'em?
Is lead oxide hard on barrels? Date on the box is 1972. (Still younger
than I am...... :lol: )

-Stretch
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Ammo

Post by jeepnik »

Shoot them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

As Troy would say "Choot Dem" !!!!!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Lead oxide is known to be very hard. Also early lead bullet .357 ammo was known to lead barrels badly. I would pull the bullets if I wanted to save the brass. Your call , not worth the possible trouble IMHO .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...given what Chuck100yd said, maybe twirl em in a pinch of sandpaper first to get the oxide off, then feed the sandpaper to a liberal's putty_tat... :o .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm Lead oxide is known to be very hard. Also early lead bullet .357 ammo was known to lead barrels badly. I would pull the bullets if I wanted to save the brass. Your call , not worth the possible trouble IMHO .
No bullet puller needed if you have a single stage press. Without a die installed in the press, raise the ram ,grab the bullet with a pair of side cutters and lower the ram to extract the bullet. Discard powder, replace primer,resize brass.
Reload and have fun!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

1972 is not old is it? I have shot ammo from 1920 and maybe older. I would shoot it and reload it. Lead oxide shouldn't be harder than steel and I wouldn't touch it with sandpaper( harder than steel) maybe copper chore boy but the air born lead dust isn't going to be good, so I'd just shoot it.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well, 'cuz I'm basically a lazy cuss, I think I'll just shoot 'em.

Thanks for the input!

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wouldn't use sandpaper, but I've used steel wool often to clean up old bullets. Then a few drops of Lee liquid alox on a rag to wipe the bullets if you wont be shooting them soon. If you're shooting them within a few months no need to use the alox.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shoot 'em as it or coat them with Lee LA lube. No nead to pull the bullets.
Shot many rounds of old, vintage, antique, mil surp ammo with oxidized bullets. No guns were harmed in this endeavor.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

You'll be able to wipe most of the oxide off the bullets with just a rag. BTDT with a bunch of 22 rimfire ammo...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon I have ruined the bore of several of my old guns.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mikld wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:22 pm You'll be able to wipe most of the oxide off the bullets with just a rag. BTDT with a bunch of 22 rimfire ammo...
When I used to tromp around the desert north of Phoenix I picked up many hundreds of 22 rounds. The freshest I shot up soon after. Those with corroded or oxidized bullets I just rat holed.
When I discovered LLA I cleand the ammo, then dipped them into the LLA. Good as new. It was like getting several hundred rounds of free ammo.
No bore damage either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Maybe I'll try a chore boy and some lube.

It's only a box.....

FWIW, using sandpaper is a bad idea. Some of the abrasive will embed
itself in the soft lead, and then is will abrade the bore on the way down range.
The principle is well-established in machining parlance. They call it lapping.
Most grit size on sandpaper is too big for a decent lap!

Are kits still available to lap rifle bores with this method? I remember hearing
about being able to buy kits of bullets embedded with various grades of grit to hone/lap/polish
the bore for greater accuracy. Start rougher and work finer for one-hole groups....

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dont look into too much.....I've shot lots of stuff well over a c-old. To remove the oxidation...(good idea)...turn on your motor with a wire wheel .....just hold each round in your fingers .....and twirl them a bit....the area in the case will be fine.---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

stretch wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:28 pm
Are kits still available to lap rifle bores with this method? I remember hearing
about being able to buy kits of bullets embedded with various grades of grit to hone/lap/polish
the bore for greater accuracy. Start rougher and work finer for one-hole groups....

-Stretch
I'd avoid lapping an old bore. I avoid lapping new bores also, but some just aren't smooth enough and need it.
You don't need a kit to lap a bore. It's easier and cheaper to go to an auto parts store and buy the finest valve lapping compound they have. Then simply put a dab on the end of a bullet before chambering it, and fire. I prefer to not shoot more than 3 rounds, and then clean the bore well. Fire a 3 shot group without compound and see if the group size is better. Repeat no more than two more times, as 9 lapping rounds down the bore will do it, and any more wont make it any better if the first 9 didn't do it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/