A couple of Birthday Winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

A couple of Birthday Winchesters

Post by 2ndovc »

My dad surprised me early and wanted to give me this Winchester 63 that had belonged to my grandfather. Grandpa had bought it new in the '40s and usually took it along on his various hunting trips. Over the years he's given me several special guns that have been in our family on what he always said were special years, 18,21,30 etc and for my 50th he gave me the one that's always been my favorite. I shot this little 63 quite a bit when I was a kid, so much so that the sear was worn to the point of needing to be replaced. It would let go with a 3 or 4 shot burst now and then. :D At least until he got it fixed.

The other one I bought for myself. :D Picked it up at a show last weekend for cheap, because you all know one can't have enough 45-70s!
My first Japanese Winchester. Haven't had time to shoot it yet but I'll take care of that little detail soon.

Pictures aren't the best, cloudy and overcast here today.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A couple of Birthday Winchesters

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool....good guns and great memories. Thanks for sharing.

Be sure you're grooming some new kid/grandkid/neice/nephew custodians for when it's their turn. As a parent, I know the hardest part is not giving up the firearms when you get old; it is making sure you've raised young'uns that deserve them...! (that's also the most rewarding part, too 8) ).

I had a patient whose kids and grandkids turned out to be major Snowflakes, so when he got a terminal diagnosis, he asked his wife if she wanted any of the guns for her own personal use, and she said no, so he gave them all away to friends who had non-snowflake heirs who would eventually have them. It really irritated his kids, who were salivating at selling off his large collection of guns, which they knew enough about to know were worth lots of money; one of the kids tried to get me to say he was mentally incompetent due in part to that. The guy told me he wasn't going to sell them because he didn't need the money, and it would "just wind up financing Hillary's next campaign" if the Snowflakes hot hold of it.

So, evidently your dad thinks you turned out ok... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful story - great guns that really will be family treasures
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s special thanks for sharing, very nice rifles. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

Jealous for the mod 63 - my uncle had one that I shot every summer and it is the only .22 auto rifle that I ever wanted. I bought myself a M61 when a teenager and still have it to pass on to someone one day.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Lovely pair of Winchesters. Really, those two rifles would cover 99 percent of the bases.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

Bill they certainly would take care of most situations. I think I'd throw in a 1911 and all would be good. Grandpa would usually travel with the 63 and one of his .25 cal bolt guns. He was a big fan of the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts. I have his .257, a custom Arisaka that dad gave me on my 21st birthday and he still has granpa's Model 70 in .250-3000, a rare bird that the old man ain't giving up anytime soon. :D

jb 8)

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very Nice! enjoy them!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pitchy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:09 amThat`s special thanks for sharing, very nice rifles. 8)
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Those are especially lovely. I think I would add a high-wall in 6mm or 257 and some old pre-war Colt SAA in 45 to have a complete battery. Still need a shotgun? How about a model 12? See? I know how to dream.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man....I love those 63's....I have a first year production carbine that I use in small bore levergun silhouette...but the condition is nowhere as nice as yours...1"@50 and 2"@100 using CCI mini mags. Trigger pull is a nasty 5 lbs.

I remember when the extra lightweight 86's came out and dealers were having a terrible time unloading them...could be had for 7 and as soon as they were all gone the price dang near doubled. Good snags on a couple of desireable shooting irons.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm Oh man....I love those 63's....I have a first year production carbine that I use in small bore levergun silhouette...but the condition is nowhere as nice as yours...1"@50 and 2"@100 using CCI mini mags. Trigger pull is a nasty 5 lbs.

I remember when the extra lightweight 86's came out and dealers were having a terrible time unloading them...could be had for 7 and as soon as they were all gone the price dang near doubled. Good snags on a couple of desireable shooting irons.---6
I was thinking the same thing about the '86s and when I saw the $800 tag on it wasn't bad. I threw out a $700 offer and he took it. I've been on a pretty good roll lately with the low ball offers. Hope it continues. :D

jb 8)