How many Moose hunters are there on Paco Kelly's Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

How many Moose hunters are there on Paco Kelly's Leverguns

Post by daisygordoninc »

I'm curious about how many moose hunters there are on this forum. Moose hunting with lever guns
is one of my late in life obsessions. I have killed two in two years in Central BC, Caribou District.
Would love to hear of and see pics from other moose hunters on the forum. I have killed both of
these bulls with my Marlin 338 Marlin Express. One at 270 yards, this years bull at 100 yards, both
one shot kills. Anyone else moose hunting in recent years ? I am 72 years old and very thankful for
health that allows me to hunt at this season of my life.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How many Moose hunters are there on Paco Kelly's Leverguns

Post by OldWin »

Got a tag in 2009 here in Maine, where I live. Got the district my camp was in. Shot a young bull the first day.
The highlight was shooting it with my model 71 Winchester.
I will have to dig around and see if I have any pics. It was the last couple minutes of daylight when I shot it and was more concerned with getting it out than pictures.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

OLD WIN, thanks. I wanted to take my 71 this year, couldn't get it sighted in as well as I had hoped so
I didn't take it. What load and bullet do you use with your 71? Do you have a peep sight, what was the
distance on your shot ? I am going to take my 71 next year but need to experiment some with a load
that is consistent.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Wow at 71 sounds like your doing great!!
Have not hunted moose for over 40 years but went hunting in Alberta & Ontario & killed two bulls with a 99 savage in 308

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No moose but the easier-to-kill elk with leverguns...33 Wcf and two by 45-70.....the 45-70's with cast bullets.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I used what ended up being the max listed load in the 4th edition Hornady manual but it was ok in my rifle. The 200gr Hornady FP over 60.7gr of IMR4350.
Mine is nothing fancy. Post war standard with a factory 56 Lyman. Shot great with that load, however. I shot my moose from the right side through the lungs at about 75 yards. As stated above, it was getting late and the ball of fire from the muzzle flashed me somewhat. I stood up from the stump I was sitting on as I levered another round. The moose turned to and headed back to the flowage I called him from. I duplicated the first shot only from the left. For whatever reason, on this shot it didnt seem to flash as much and saw a red mist about 3 feet in diameter fly out the off side. He went about another 10 feet and went down.
My father was off to the side and said he was surprised I stood up to fire again as the moose was all wobbly and was going down from the first shot. I think my standing and running the action gave him a little adrenaline boost to try and run. Of course, I couldn't see it from the flash.
The 348 is a cannon, plain and simple.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not any moose close to Texas. It would be quite a drive from where I live to go hunt one. I would like to try it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

OldWin,

Thanks for the load suggestions, I'm going to give that load a try. I like to have at least a 200 gr. bullet, so will give that a try.
The two bulls I have killed this fall and last both were through the heart, the first which was the biggest went down immediately
and didn't get up, that surprised me a little. I had not aimed for the heart, I just shot a little low and hit the heart. Lung shots
are the best but the distance was 270 yards and it dropped a little more that I had expected. ( 338 Marlin Express ) The one I
shot this October I couldn't get to anything to lean against so had to take a standing shot, and again I think I must have hit it
somewhat low, it also went through the heart, but this time he turned and walked away like I had not hit him and went out of
sight. I first guessed that I had missed, so took off after him and found him dead about 20 yards from where he had been standing.
I think both of those shots were "blessed" shots.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hope I helped in some way. If there is anything else I can do, don't hesitate to ask.
Please! Do not start with the load I listed. It is a max load and should be worked up too. And honestly, it is probably overkill. My thought was if all I had was a shoulder shot, I could get through the plate.
Yes, I like the lungs, if possible. Moose are big animals and need a lot of air.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

OldWin,

Yes, I know better than to start at maximum, been reloading for a lot of years.
I've made my share of mistakes, none to dangerous, but I sure don't want to
blow up my Winchester 71.
I've seen just about all the moose youtube videos out there, most moose just
don't usually go down right away even with a big gun, they are so large and
strong. My hunting partners shot one at 200 yards a couple of years ago, both
of them hit it through the lungs with 300 Win Mags. He just turned and trotted
off heading over a hill with a cow. They were not sure they had even hit it.
They shot it as it went out of sight, and later found it and realized both of
their first shots were side by side, both lunch shots. I had another partner who
shot one through the shoulders so it could not get away with his 375 H&H, it
went down and he thought it would die. It got up and ran off, we found it
the next morning with the help of a dog, still alive and well. They can be
tough.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I didn't mean in any way to say you didn't understand the art of handloading. It's just something I felt I had to mention. I would have said it regardless of who I was talking to. Chances are you are a more accomplished loader than I! :D
You are correct in that moose can be unpredictable when hit. Much as I do with deer, I like to keep my ranges short, and my bullets fat. Even still, while our moose aren't B.C. or Alaska big, they can run to 1000-1200 for a good bull. Unless you are hunting choppings or Aroostook county broccoli fields, it can be thick. If they run very far it can make for a miserable extraction of the animal.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:33 am Not any moose close to Texas. It would be quite a drive from where I live to go hunt one. I would like to try it.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

OldWin,

Yea, I would say the same thing, hot loads can be risky ,I'm still probably a little too careful,
I have heard the horror stories, I respect gun powder, thanks.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No problem, my friend.
I hope you get to knock over a 60" stomper with that 71. The only thing that compared to shooting a moose with my 71, was having my old dad there with me.
Best of luck to you.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Since you asked for moose hunters, I’ve been on three Maine moose hunts. Twice as the permitee and once as the subpermitee. All three were with family and friends. The second hunt involved a lever gun and I wrote it up here on the forum two years ago.
Instead of retyping, I’ll link the old thread.
https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=64535

I lost the image hosting with photobucket, so you’ll have to use your imagination.

Jason
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Here in Washington it's a once in a lifetime tag that you must be drawn for. I would like to try someday, cant decide if I'd rather use one of my 71's or one of the 95's.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great thread. I'd love to hunt moose at least once. I'd have to use my Springfield in .400 Whelen, though. My biggest levergun is a quarter bore.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Alaska has some interesting homesteader subsistence F&W rules during the moose season. My last large bull moose was taken with a Winchester Model 71
re-chambered to 348 Ackley Improved. That caliber was one of P.O. Ackley's favorites as it delivered on improved velocity on all bullet weights.
This moose was hit by a 270 gr Hawk FP bullet with a one shot kill. The 348 Ackley has to be shot to be appreciated-as a lever actioned 35 Whelen.
Its real usefulness comes in bear country. Bears show up on the ABC islands and elsewhere after a kill.
Back before Model 71s really started to climb in value and price-the 348 Ackley was reasonably popular. Not so much now with premium bullets
like the Swifts-Alaska Bullet Works and Woodleigh available. A 200 gr Swift bonded core partition or a 250 gr bonded core by Alaska Bullets
really obviates an extra chambering unless the big bears are a regular challenge.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I hunt moose, and currently only with lever guns. used a 45/70 [ custom browning 1886 repro ] a few years ago; one shot with warmish load 400 gr cast, went down immediately. don't have any pictures of that moose anymore.

hunted moose with original model 1876 50/95 this fall.......but due to some kind of misunderstanding the moose didn't show up for the appointment. :roll:

will take rifle that one out again next fall and try to get one.
cable
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

We don't get many moose here in Florida, but one of my favorite sayings was about moose hunting from one of the regulars here.

"Nothing ruins a moose hunt quite like killing one."

The implication being that it's all fun and games until you have to pack that thing out. I think he also mentioned that a shot moose will attempt to find the wettest, muckiest ground to finally expire on ... adding calf deep slosh to the pack'em out challenge.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If, and that is a big if, I ever get a chance to hunt a moose, I would probably use either my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington or my Guide Gun. I have read a little, and the consensus seems to be that the .35 Remington is good enough if the bullet is placed well. Of course, a white tail deer can run a long way if the shot is placed badly even with a 7mm Magnum. Moose are a lot bigger, but they are not growing Kevlar. Of course, the .348 has quite a bit more power, but I don't have one. Sort of like using a .30-30 on a deer versus using a .308, they both work well if the shot is in the right place.

There are a few other things to be done before a moose hunt can be attempted.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

It's true that getting a moose out after the kill is hard work, but hunting large game isn't for the faint of heart.
I'm 72 years old and have killed a moose each of the last two years. I work out by walking 4 miles each morning
including some hills several times each week and watch my weight as well. I want to be able to work hard moose
hunting and that includes helping get it out after the kill. The reward is the amazing amount of meat, and then
of course those antlers that I have hanging in my stairway and office here at home. So fun, and they are a constant
reminder of those exciting moments of the kill and the hunt. My dad and I had our woodshed completely full of
black tail and mule deer antlers, and now to have two sets of moose antlers to share with my hunting friends and
family is really great. I feel like I'm living the dream. I already have men who want to go with me next fall, so
we will be preparing for that through the year. Plan to get my Winchester 71 sighted in and some bullets made
that will compliment it for moose kills. I have guns that are not lever action but I have never killed anything with
them, too much great history with lever action guns. My Marlin 338 Express is a great moose gun, killed both with
it, but would love to kill one with my Winchester 71.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I'm sure a moose could be taken with a standard 200 grain Silver Tip in .348 but it would be nice to have a load in a premium for the task ... something like the North Fork 230 grain FP perhaps. I think Swift makes their A-frame in .348 now and again. Not in stock lately though and just the standard 200 grains.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Rimfire,

Yea, I think just because of the size of the moose anything less than 200 grains might be too light.
I know Barnes makes a 220 Gr. in their Barnes Original bullet. There are of course people who have
hunted and killed moose with a Win. 270 with light bullets, but I've seen videos of large moose take
several shots broad side and hardly flinch, and then walk or run off. I want to avoid that when possible,
they usually run into the woods where is may be difficult to find them. I think Barnes Original also
comes in a heavier bullet than the 220 Gr., I may look at those as well. Thanks
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Rimfire,

I just checked the Barnes manual and they list a 250 Gr. Barnes Original in 348, I may take a look at
that as well. It seems like there are a few more options these days for 348 than there were 25 years
ago. I'm surprised Hornady doesn't have anything heavier than 200 Gr. listed.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

daisygordoninc wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am I just checked the Barnes manual and they list a 250 Gr. Barnes Original in 348, I may take a look at
that as well. It seems like there are a few more options these days for 348 than there were 25 years
ago. I'm surprised Hornady doesn't have anything heavier than 200 Gr. listed.
Yeah, I was just thinking North Fork or Swift A-frame due to their construction where the back half is guaranteed not to deform and thus will penetrate deeper than might a heavy (220 - 250) in a traditional construction.

Yeah, I've seen those videos where the 270 hits the moose and it just glances over as if it's looking for where the noise came from. Several shots later and the moose wanders off to go do a slow bleed out somewhere else ... probably somewhere harder to reach.

Moose would have to be a guided hunt situation for me.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Rimfire,

Yes, I have a guide in BC, Chris Condie, Windy Mountain Outfitters. I agree, there is much I don't know about moose
that the guide does.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Shot my cow moose here in CO with a old Marlin in 32 Win Sp, 153 yards down and out.
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/dkmleve ... 6.jpg.html
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Only been Moose Hunting twice - when I lived in AK.

Once with my Guide Gun, but both times with my Casull.

And never saw anything but bear.

Dangit.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!