Buddy is bringing a Win 88 back to life, advice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Buddy is bringing a Win 88 back to life, advice?

Post by Canuck Bob »

My best bud is joining me in my shooting hobby. He has a Winchester 88 308 that he inherited after a couple decades in storage. I haven't seen the rifle yet but from descriptions I think it is a rifle and not a carbine. It is stiff and he is considering a clean and inspection from a smith before use.

I did the youtube thing and found the action requires a knowledgeable hand with slave pins. We are convinced a pro look is in order at this time.

Looking for anything you wish to share about real use, cautions, tricks, tips, and cleaning. I've read they can kick a bit due to stock design. It is iron sighted currently and he will keep it that way. He might do a little hunting but really a range and plinking/walking rifle for the mountains.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Buddy is bringing a Win 88 back to life, advice?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Just realized I didn't ask about any collector value in case he wishes to modify. I'm a modify kinda guy but it is not my rifle and I need to advise him properly.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think they made a pile of those 88's in 308 and if it's a post-63 with the pressed checkering it will just mostly have shooter value. Still, nice rifle. I will now to go over to Gunbroker and drool over the pre-64's in 284 and 358. Thanks for reminding me.

Come to think of it, BlaineG may have one in 284 as I recall. I'm sure there are more than a few 88 owners up here. Or FinnWolfs perhaps which are very similar.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I drooled over a Finnwolf and tried to buy one. A lever owned by John Wayne might be cheaper ;-) , and less rare!

I never was interested in 88s but after this they sure are handsome rifles. It appears the post-64 debacle may not have impacted the steel parts. The stocks did suffer with impressed checkering. I've yet to see the rifle so not sure of the age. My buddy is a hunter not an afflicted gunnut so his description was limited.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I've found it's best if an amateur does NOT try to disassemble the trigger/lever group.

I've found that a "stiff" Model 88 most likely just needs to have all the congealed oil & gunk cleared out of the action insides, Bob - but there's no real need (yet) to take it to a pro, as it's a fairly simple job that just about any homeowner can do.

After 1st ensuring the magazine's out & the chamber's empty, remove the barreled action from the stock - just removed the forend screw and pivot the barrel/action upward so the rear of the action comes free of the rear tang-cum-recoil block.

I immersed a few 88's in a 4"x4"x36" plastic tub filled with a gallon or two of clean kerosene, and let it soak a few hours (or overnite) to dissolve all the gunk inside/out, including all those little, hard-to-get-to places inside the bolt & trigger group. Put any detachable magazines in the bath, too.

While it's soaking would be a good time to clean & wax the stock.

You know the metal's soaked enough if you can see a thin black-ish sediment in the bottom of the tub (the dissolved gunk) - but now's the time to cycle the action a few times while it's still immersed in the kero (IOW, a swim & swirl), before withdrawing it & hanging it up to drip dry.

When the liquid portion of the kerosene has evaporated from the metal, it will leave a thin film of lubricant behind in those same hard-to-reach places - but I would suggest the application of some (dry) powdered graphite (it won't freeze up in your cold weather) in the bolt raceways, pivot points in the action, and to the rotating forward end of the bolt head where it enters the front of the bolt.

It's not really needed, but if it makes your friend happy, feel free to wipe down the exterior of the metal with an oily rag.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

WOW, Pete. I am comfortable stripping partway and cleaning with your suggestions. My buddy knows me well and might decline the offer! Thanks
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Pete gave you some good advice. I'd spend some time cleaning that old girl up before turning it over to a smith to check it out. If its been in storage for 20 or more years, the old oil has turned to gunk and needs to be cleaned out. I haven't soaked any guns in kerosene but I have used CLP to spray and clean guns that hadn't been cleaned in 80+ years. It is amazing the amount of crud that builds up over time!

I have a pr64 88 in 308. It doesn't look like a classic levergun, but it is one fine rifle that can put them in 1 moa if I do my part. I added a 3-9 handle on it to help me see the sights a bit better. :)
I had a friend that used an 88 as his go-to gun for deer and elk. They are nice rifles!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds like a nice gun...

did the 88s have a problem with premature unintended discharge?

I read that about some rifle, but can't recall which one.

Might be worth a search or two, eh?

Grizz
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Grizz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm sounds like a nice gun...

Grizz
On it!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grizz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm sounds like a nice gun...

Grizz

The Winchester Model 100 autoloader's were recalled for a firing pin upgrade/change, the specimens done receiving a stamped letter denoting the convertor into the bottom metal near the magazine.

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have two pre-64 88s ...one in 308 and the other in 284. the 284 was very stiff when I got it, having last been used in the 1970s. I just sprayed it with gunscrubber and then with triflow and then just worked the action repeatedly and then repeated the triflow and did it again the next day, it now cycles smoothly and with little effort. both of these rifles are quite accurate.

my wife likes the 284 and carried it for caribou.....though the caribou didn't show up.
maybe next year....sigh.
cable