Tried out a Henry yesterday. Wow!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Tried out a Henry yesterday. Wow!

Post by earlmck »

Friend Butch got a new Henry "Big Boy" rifle in 357 as an anniversary present. Nice wife!

We tried it out a few days ago to see how it did with a variety of our reloads and the open sights it came with. Took a fair amount of sight drifting but got pretty well on board with it and it seemed to feed and shoot decently with the three or four loads we brought along which went from regular 38 specials to my "too long to feed in the Rossi" loads I use in my ruger revolver.

Yesterday we cut a bit of firewood and then knocked off for our usual beer and peanuts and also to sight in the Henry with a scope (we both suffer from the standard "old eyes" syndrome). Slick little 2x7 Leupold.

Henry didn't do a great job of the d&t -- took a full two spins of the windage dial to get on (probably not much adjustment left there). But once we did the dang thing made dinky little one-hole groups on our 50 yard target. This was with Blazer 158 grain jhp bullets which was the only load he brought along. Granted this was at only 50 yards and just 3- shot groups, but still; I wish my Rossi shot half that tight a group! (It isn't even close).

Looking down the barrel I also noticed with some envy that Henry uses a tighter twist (probably about 1:18) than does Rossi, so this Henry will stabilize anything we want to throw at it.

I hadn't shot a Henry before, or even examined one closely. What a cute little downsized copy of the Marlin! Wood is a little too proud of the metal in places and as I said they didn't do real well lining up the scope-mount holes, but what a fine shooting little s.o.b.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Tried out a Henry yesterday. Wow!

Post by AJMD429 »

There are still some GOOD quality, affordable firearms made in the USA...!

A Henry of some sort (45 Colt probably) is on my list soon....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My 41 also shares the proud wood but it's not that big a deal, it's an assembly line gun after all.
I too scoped mine, but didn't have to move scope that much. Was the scope adjustments centered? Maybe not?
The 41 shoots very small groups as well. But since I made the mistake of pushing plated FAST and really fouling my bore which then made me go to lots of cleaning and JB BORE paste I don't really know if it was that good from the start or my elbow grease made that much difference!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Thanks for the info about longer rounds working in your Henry. That’s good to know.

I handled a Henry 357 at a LGS last summer. It felt good and had a clean action. One of them is definitely on my want list.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt