Android and Mac won't share info...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Android and Mac won't share info...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had some nice photos on my LG-4 or whatever Samsung/Android phone I have, and some are in 'regular memory' and some are in 'extended memory' on the phone, but there seems to be no RELIABLE way to get them onto my computer. "Mac" software doesn't recognize the phone except intermittently, and then never sees both batches of photos, and "Android" software won't recognize a Mac. The Android software won't let you 'manage' things and move them from the memory card to main memory either, despite claims.

So.........

I need to either shoot my Mac, or shoot my Android.... :evil:

I'm sure a less-violent method would be better, but whereas I can be very understanding and compassionate with living things - machines I expect perfection from, and I'm very intolerant when they don't perform as advertised. I think that's why I like simple machines like guns - they pretty much just work; electronic gadgets pretty much don't.

Anyway - if anyone here has a Mac and an Android, and has software that really lets you dig into the phone and suck out photos reliably, that would be something I'd be interested in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Android and Mac won't share info...

Post by harry »

My question is why would you even own a mac :twisted:
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Doc have you tried to email the pics from your phone and 'get' them on your mac? This works for me...
I have the opposite, crapple phone and windows based confuser.
It sure would be nice if crapple and microstupid would play together!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crshelton
Levergunner

Post by crshelton »

If you use Dropbox for your photos, the android will keep them there and on Dropbox central. Then when you bring up your computer, the new pix will be downloaded to your computer. Just put dropbox on computer and on Android and forget about it.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have Windows on both my phone and on my desktop PC.

They talk just fine, and file transfers from one device to the other are as simple as connecting a USB cable, drag and drop.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's an article on how to sync an android phone to a Mac (google): https://www.macworld.com/article/203905 ... r-mac.html

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had some luck just now with 'AirDroid' but it requires everything go through the network vs USB, which seems excessively slow and complex.

With my old Dell it just treated the phone as an external disk....

Might get a Dell just for photos and music, since the Mac really sucks for photos and music, because you have to have everything in their format and in their folders... :roll:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:25 pm The Android software won't let you 'manage' things and move them from the memory card to main memory either, despite claims.
I don't know why you can't just move all your photos to your MicroSD card and then read the card with the Mac? If it doesn't have an SD slot and/or you don't have a MicroSD/SD adapter, USB card readers are cheap and handy.

There is more than one way to skin a cat in Android and yes, it is frustrating. What version of Android are you using? You should be able to go to the App manager and move the photos. I keep as much as I can on my SD card or my internal memory would fill up quick, especially with all the hunting and cute puppy pics.... :D

Emailing them works for a few, but high quality photos take up a lot of bandwidth. So does uploading to Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. I don't particularly like having my photos in the cloud for any security breaches to make public.

PM if you need help.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's Android 6.0, so I need to see if I can figure out how to move stuff from phone to 'card'.....

Thanks for the encouragement.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:20 pm It's Android 6.0, so I need to see if I can figure out how to move stuff from phone to 'card'.....

Thanks for the encouragement.
My phone upgraded itself from Android 4.4 to 6.0 in short order...then a few months later the USB/charging port died and I had to buy a new one, which was 7.0. So I've had a heck of a learning curve lately.... :? :x :(

If you can hook your phone to a PC then transfer everything to the SD card, then hook the SD card up to the Mac.
I'm not sure what Mac capabilites are now. I haven't used one in 11 years or so, but back then they were leaps and bounds above Windows machines. I just jumped in the cesspool with work since we had an all PC network. I felt like I lost my wheel, incandescent light, and electricity all at once.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle