Rum cake recipe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Rum cake recipe

Post by piller »

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup spiced rum
(1 teaspoonful Hot darn!, or any such cinnamon flavor if desired)

Mix above ingredients on low speed with an electric mixer until combined, then on high for about 6 minutes for the batter to expand in volume.

Pour into heavily greased Bundt cake pan and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 60 minutes.

In a small or medium sauce pan place:
1 stick of butter or margarine. (butter works best, but margarine does just fine if that is what you have)
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup spiced rum
1 teaspoonful Hot darn! If desired

Check the cake at about 40 to 45 minutes. If it is done to the point that the top has risen and cracked, and a toothpick can be inserted and comes out without any raw batter on it, then it is time to heat the sauce.

Bring the sauce to a boil while stirring it constantly. Boil it for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat under it, and remove the cake from the oven. Immediately pour the sauce over the cake. It may bubble and fizz. Wait 5 minutes for the sauce to absorb and the cake to shrink down. Invert it onto a plate and enjoy. I place the plate on top of the cake pan with the plate upside down and hold everything together while wearing oven mitts to do the inversion. It just works for me. I also chop up some pecans and sprinkle them in the greased pan before putting the batter in. DO NOT flour the pan. Only grease it. I use Crisco shortening to grease it. Lard also works.

Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, or Irish Whiskey can be used in place of the rum. The extra flavorings are best when in a liquid form as they will mix better. I make this every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is always eaten to the last crumb. If you have time, make it 1 or 2 days ahead of time and store it in an air tight cake carrier of the sort that Tupperware sells. Wal Mart has these for a very reasonable price, and your wife probably has one already. When stored for 1 or 2 days, the flavors and aroma intensify. Opening up the sealed container gives an aroma which will let everyone around know that they still have room in them for a slice of cake.

Hope you all have time to try this out for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Rum cake recipe

Post by piller »

The cinnamon flavored schnapps in the recipe had the name changed by the website. It is not darn.
D. Brian Casady
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

My recipe for Rum cake; buy a white sheet cake from the local bakery. Buy a qt. of dark rum from the liquor store. Open the cake, add 1/2 cup rum to 1 pt. of whipping cream and whip and apply to the cake. Put cake in fridge for 1 hr. As the cake cools, make 12 Mojitos (or just shots). Drink 10 of the mojitos (or shots), and throw away the cake. The cake would just make you barf after all the rum anyway. Drink remaining rum shots (if you can remember where they are, or just have a few slugs outta the bottle). Next morning try to remember what the heck you did with your keys...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mikld wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 pm My recipe for Rum cake; buy a white sheet cake from the local bakery. Buy a qt. of dark rum from the liquor store. Open the cake, add 1/2 cup rum to 1 pt. of whipping cream and whip and apply to the cake. Put cake in fridge for 1 hr. As the cake cools, make 12 Mojitos (or just shots). Drink 10 of the mojitos (or shots), and throw away the cake. The cake would just make you barf after all the rum anyway. Drink remaining rum shots (if you can remember where they are, or just have a few slugs outta the bottle). Next morning try to remember what the heck you did with your keys...
Ah! The days of our youth. It wasn't trying to remember where the keys were, it was trying to remember who the girl beside you was that got confusing. :oops:

Did I just write that, never happened. I'll deny it until the end. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes, but the good thing about this rum cake is that it is low alcohol and family friendly.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm Yes, but the good thing about this rum cake is that it is low alcohol and family friendly.
The alcohol all cooks away.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

At one point in the early to mid 1970's my Mom met a lady at some woman's club/ bridge thingy. The lady was Swedish and she had brought a Rum cake Mom thought was delicious. Well in that part of the country at that time we didn't know Fiddly squat about the metric system,and the Swedish lady couldn't convert to US measurements. They sorta figured It out as far as the cake part of it. The Rum was to be added in an uncooked sauce on top of the cake after it was baked. Well Mom looked at the cake after she added the Rum and it didn't look right so she added more Rum then a little more and a little more. My Uncle was visiting us on his way back to school. So Uncle Steve sits down and has a
piece of the cake and it's so good he has anotherr then Uncle Steve has to go lay down, seems Mom added approximately 10 times the Rum she should have. All ended well as after his nap, he was able to continue to drive back to......Semenary. oooops
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.