Model 71-The hunter's rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Model 71-The hunter's rifle

Post by 450 Fuller »

The Winchester Model 71 evolved from the rapid taper 1886 half-magazine rifles of the early 20th Century.

I have my share of these rifles and prefer the early originals. Winchester clearly found a winner from Brownings original design. The 348 WCF
cartridge originated from the 50-110 case-necked down.
In the mid-30s Winchester took the big game hunting fraternity by storm when it introduced the Models 70 and 71.
Probably the most used bullet weight in factory ammunition is the 200 gr, and much Silvertip WW-ammunition as loaded is still around.
New brass and ammunition came out in the 1980s with the Browning versions.
The pre-war long tang Deluxe is a wonder to behold, and is still my favorite for many reasons. If you put and early LT version against the later rifle, the reasons become apparent to the trained eye. {Put them both on half cock-now attempt to move both triggers. The trigger of the later rifle will move and
it will be audible. Triggers should not "move" on half- cocked.} The comb of the stock matters little to me. its the length that counts.
I have a 450 Alaskan and 450 Fuller on pre-war 71s and the recoil is negligible compared to the peace of mind hunting in Alaska-which I do.

Also have a 348 Ackley, which is basically a 35 Whelen in a lever actioned rifle. A great killer of moose and bear. Guess I have and have owned a dozen of these
rifles and find them faster in the northern woods than any bolt action.

Premium bullets: For hunting. Do yourself a favor and handload Hawk-Woodleigh-Swift and Alaska Bullet Works Bullets. Hawk Bullets out of WY originally, now in NJ are the most varied in weights. These lads made up some 225 special order bullets for me and they work. Have a few Grizzly boxes of
original 250 grain Winchester 250 gr Silvertip collector grade ammunition. One is better off with Alaska Bullet Works-Juneau or other 250 gr
bullets for the big bear, moose or elk. For the serious growling critters, my extremely rare 450 Fuller in the 1937 Deluxe Model 71 cannot be
matched. Have not seen another one. Lt Col HRM (Khe Sanh-1971)

New to an excellent rifle "site".
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Model 71-The hunter's rifle

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire, looks like you have some interesting levers.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Is the 450 Fuller the version with a 2.25" case length, versus what I consider the norm for the 450 Alaskan at 2.145"?

I have had a few 71's, including the Browning/Miroku. I have not tried your 1/2 cock trigger test and I don't own a pre-war 71. Not that I wouldn't mind having one of course. :)

I uploaded some pics of one of my 71's here a long time ago but I think they were on Photobucket and are thus likely to be kaput due to their new rules. I may go update them to point to a different host.

I believe you are now officially the only other person I know with a 71 in 450 anything. Well, now that I think about it, Lastmohecken has one as well I believe.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep....I agree...let's see some pics of your harem......

Here's a three digit like new deluxe long tang.---6. Pictures speak louder than talk. :D ---6

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_0
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I miss that as your avatar pic 6.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man bud, I forgot about that one! I musta missed it while parusing all the other cool stuff last spring. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm Man bud, I forgot about that one! I musta missed it while parusing all the other cool stuff last spring. :D
Well Jay...I'll be truthful with ya....you know that ankle length Buffalo coat you were wearing.....must have weighed 100 pounds........I was worried you were gonna steal it so I kept my mouth shut about that 71. :D

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the 44 Russian single action Colt. Next time, you take the coat off before entering the gunroom. :D

Hey McNutjob! (I really like that name..should be mine.)......Ain't heard from ya in a while. You have a good memory and I still have the rifle....wish this OP would post some pics...we all love 71's.---6

Here's a fresh one taken 30 seconds ago.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/xlcmjfw61/][img

There's another 71 in there...I think....too tired to dig it out....me and mom went out tonight and I had about 6 Sly Fox Oranges....man...goood stuff.
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am starting to feel undergunned now with my measley 1939 standard grade with no wear on the sides of the bolt. He'll I should prolly just throw it away.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 pm I am starting to feel undergunned now with my measley 1939 standard grade with no wear on the sides of the bolt. He'll I should prolly just throw it away.
Tom....you and I are not far away...just give it a heave...due East about 60 miles....promise I'll catch it. :D

Just busting balls as there are those who have and those who talk..... :D I'd really like to see some pics from this OP.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm There's another 71 in there...I think....too tired to dig it out....me and mom went out tonight and I had about 6 Sly Fox Oranges....man...goood stuff.

What's the fifth one from the rear, with the hinged, case-hardened lever...????
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like a Savage 99.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That was my guess too Rusty.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1899 Savage 30wcf made in 1910.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh, come on Six, I know my buffalow coat is quite fashionable. :D Matter of fact, I will trade for that 71 even up! I've only got one, and its a post war. :( It even has a little finish wear.
It ain't easy just bein a Maine hick. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

It would be nice to post photos of these, but I am between AK-AL-NM a lot and it is'nt
wise to advertise. Unless you are selling. The current original Winchester count is 5 Model 71s and 2 smokeless era rapid taper 1886s.
Ben Lily liked the 1886 in 33 WCF. So did a lot of Alaskans. Lily killed bear and mtn lion all over New Mexico, Arizona
and Mexico around the 1900s. He was a tough hombre who was tougher as a government hunter.
There is a marker to his prowess on NM Hwy going north of Silver City in the Gila Wilderness area.
He was from Alabama of course, Wilcox County, as a high class respectable rifle owner should be.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

No pictures?!

Didn't happen...
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Now I admit that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. So with that put out front.
I fail to see the difference between listing all that I have and showing a picture of them. Of course posting the address where they are might be detrimental.
For goodness sake show some pictures, minus any landmarks that pinpoint where they are. Cannot be any worse than saying I have a million dollars but am afraid to show a picture of the pile of cash :mrgreen:
Best to be quiet about it and not tease all here :roll:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bronco wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 am :Best to be quiet about it and not tease all here :roll:
That's the problem with SOME of today's Christians .......some get jealous and attempt to demean. We should be exhilarated that a fellow Christian does well and it gives us a challenge to reach their height. I LOVE Donald Trump and his accomplishments.

A Jew commends his fellow citizen on his rise in society and encourages greatness and does not demean, show jealousy, or otherwise ignore another's positive thinking on being successful.-----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Nothing but admiration, love 71's. I only have one but it is a great one, deluxe, made the late years of the 71's.
It appears almost new. You are a blessed man.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Not sure what your point was Six ???

Cannot tell if that was in support or against my comment?
Like you I want pictures and expressed it differently !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bronco wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:10 pm Not sure what your point was Six ???

Cannot tell if that was in support or against my comment?
Like you I want pictures and expressed it differently !
:) :D :lol:

It's in Eyetalian. I was waiting for the English version myself..... :lol:

I don't have a 3 digit 71. I have a 4-digit and a lower 5-digit. I can't post pics right now because I've got them both broken all the way down for deep cleaning.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bronco, (Forget the last post, the phone was ringing, dogs barking and knocks at the door...a very aggravating day)
No..no...your absolutely right...what's the big deal with pics! As far as pinpointing the address, that's pretty much a no brainer with today's internet. Case in point.....I have a good friend with at least a half mil in nice guns and he makes a point to make sure his name, address and the vehicle (plate) he drives cannot be found out by no one. He has friends with the Pa. State police and he thinks he is really secret. He was bragging about it to me while sipping some Crown Royal Reserve.

I laughed and with my inept computer skills found his info in about 10 seconds. He was flabbergasted. :D

The only thing any of us can do is put out through people (the ones who will rip you off) that you are one not to have any mercy on a thief......next to a child molester a thief is on my most hated list..........so......

that pretty much means why worry about what we all have or where we all live.....just let it be known you shoot first...usually with a big bore. :D

That's all anyone has to do here is to respond to an ad we all make from time to time and that info is given to the perp.----6

Oh! This one is the Eyetalian version..dyckhead. :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One just need be sure their various 'deterrent' methods are overlapped and layered and fully secure, and not elaborate on what they may be. I think it would be a grave error to tread with ill-intent on most of the members here; certainly a life-changing, if not ending, experience.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

The real reasons for not supplying photographs are that I am tech challenged by laziness and can't get my 35mm Nikon wired to the Mboard or monitor.
That and having had three (3) jobs in the metro D.C. area long enough ago to retire with more illegal enemies than friends. If we have
some lads here who also have carried badges, my rites of passage include arresting West Africans and LOTS of Iranians-
So...the older Alaskans-New Mexicans who encountered Grizz like Montague Stevens or Ben Lily carried real rifles. The old sourdough Alaskans carried what worked,
like the 1886. Harold Johnson realized what many still don't get-a smaller caliber in a lever action rifle may kill the bear. Unfortunately,
the brown bear or grizzly may reach the hunter before expiring. That's why the old timers carried 50-110s and 45-90s in addition to 405 Winchesters.
The bear has to be stopped....then you may need only the one 50 caliber bullet. Or the M-71 in 450 Alaskan... But many is the bear that is stopped and then finished off before he can hurt the hunter or guide.

Van Winkle's 107 is quite mellow for adjusting Kentucky windage. So never put off a bear til tomorrow, who is trying to kill you today.

The Alaskan coastal brown or interior grizzly can move faster than you can blink-faster if he's hurt or angry. Thus endeth the lesson from one cheechako
that has backed down a few bears. Use heavy premium bullets.

I know, let's have a spelling bee......"

" I believe he is also speaking Latin-he must be an educated man. Now I really hate him. Requisicat in Pace."
Never put off til tomorrow, whom you can kill today".
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I really like the 71 and the .348 is known to hammer game animals. I have a well used short tang Winchester rifle and a Browning reproduction carbine. But I do NOT like the Marlin-esque fat forearm of these rifles.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sadly, the days of beautiful hand fitted firearms which are found on store shelves for a reasonable price were over before I was able to start purchasing. I do have an older Marlin which was made before I was born, and it was purchased used from a pawn shop. The older firearms were, for the most part, much better quality than the newest stuff. It is a real treat to see the pictures and hear about the guns which are becoming rare.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost