Mossberg 479 or 472, 30-30 levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Mossberg 479 or 472, 30-30 levergun

Post by M. M. Wright »

Through no fault of my own I now have a Master Mag model cc779 which is also known as a Mossberg 479. It had been taken apart and incorrectly re-assembled sometime in the past. I have it apart again and would like to get it back together correctly. It looks like a Marlin but the trigger stays on the lever and there is a trigger housing that carries nearly all the internal parts. I can get it all back except for threading the hammer down through it's hole and have the mainspring push rod in it's position. Anyone ever try putting one of these back together?
Dang it Pitchy, if we were closer together we'd take it over to Gobblers and heat up the forge and make it into a springer front end.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Mossberg 479 or 472, 30-30 levergun

Post by Blaine »

Bump....(Good luck)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

You might try the phone number or the email in the bottom paragraph of the owners manual page of this link. http://www.mossbergcollectors.org/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I figured it out this afternoon. It is a parts gun and the headspace is too tight on it so the lever won't close all the way even without a cartridge in it. Since it locks up like a Marlin, (about the only similarity) I should be able to correct the problem. It ts not worth the time I have put into it but I have to win. I'll keep it for a loaner.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I fully understand not letting a machine get the best of me! :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I fully understand not letting a machine get the best of me! :mrgreen: I have an import revolver that on occasion would not "cycle" (couldn't cock the hammer after a shot) and I would work on it for a while, put away for a while, work on it again and nearly 20 years of working, putting it away, I fixed it. I ain't gonna let no Brazilian revolver get the best of me even if it does take 20 years...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you figured it out. Once you get it fixed you need to shoot it and find out if it is anywhere near accurate. Puzzles can be fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back when I lived on Maui I picked up a model 472 from a pawn shop in Texas (via my FFL) for just $130.00 which I though was a very fair price for a well made 30/30 levergun. This gun looks like a bastard child of a Marlin 336 and a Browning BLR. Never a popular design so usually when found on a pawn shop gun rack they are usually very reasonable in asking price. My 472 is the only scoped levergun I own. I had a scope mount for a 336 and a extra scope so why not? Shoots minute-of-pig-heart groups at 100 yards no problem though living on over-crowded suburban Oahu I have not hunted in almost 10 years. Can afford to visit my friends on Maui but maybe when my house check finally gets here I'll do a weekend pilgrimage to Maui for Axis deer. If you're looking for an affordable used 30/30 rifle you can do allot worse than a 472/479 Mossberg. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31