Self Defense Shot Placement

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Self Defense Shot Placement

Post by piller »

Former Army Infantryman here. If I feel the situation requires me to pull a gun on another human, my old training kicks in and they cease to be anything other than a threat until it is over. Two times in my life it has happened that I was threatened with violence and I had to be ready and willing to shoot. Both times the miscreants backed off with comments about my complete lack of expression. I was just following my training. They were hanging out in a parking lot after dark in a bad part of the city, and I had been assigned to work there that night for another employee who was off due to an injury from being mugged in the parking lot. I guess my total lack of expression convinced them to reconsider their actions. As I was about halfway home, I realized that I had heard one of them say something to the effect that he is going to kill us, he doesn't care. Both times. It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to get back into civilian mode after both occasions. I don't recall the switchover to combat mode either time. I was never in actual combat in the Army, but the training was still preparing us all for it. We were never trained to remove it from our minds.
I am in healthcare, and try very hard to help others each and every day. However, the Army trained in a set of behaviors which take over under the conditions which dictate their need, and the takeover happens without any conscious thought or willingness. It may someday happen that the behavioral training will not switch on, but I doubt it. The Army has had a lot of time and a lot of experience with learning how to train individuals to cease to be individuals, and for them to become a part of a machine of combat to kill whatever it is ordered to kill. They do not un-train you when your term of service expires.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gundownunder wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:43 am What can I say, We are all expert marksmen and can all put every shot into whichever eyeball we prefer.
OK, Now the BS is out of the way.
Shoot at what you can hit and use all the firepower you can handle. Then if he is still a threat, do the same again, and again, and again.
If you come to the conclusion that he is armored, then try for the head
I would think the biggest question would be," Are you capable of pointing a gun at another human being and deliberately pulling the trigger to take his life".
A fair number of us here are old. Life has taught us that lesson well. It's no longer an unanswered question.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am A fair number of us here are old. Life has taught us that lesson well. It's no longer an unanswered question.
I ain't old but man! some of the guys I grew up with are! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:21 am
jeepnik wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am A fair number of us here are old. Life has taught us that lesson well. It's no longer an unanswered question.
I ain't old but man! some of the guys I grew up with are! :D
Scary part is some mornings you look in the mirror and wonder who that old guy is looking back at you. Other mornings (today seems to be one) when you look in the mirror and wonder when did I get so old. Pain has a lot to do with it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

At our age:
- never look in the mirror before you have had coffee
- do not use the phrase "Trickle down" in any kind of sentence
- if you wake up and nothing hurts, check the Obituary page
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As with any living mammal, to reach old age the individual must learn and be willing to prevent harm to itself. If the will to live is strong enough, the individual will be able to defend themselves with any means at hand to the extent which is necessary. In other words, you rarely grow old unless you are willing to defend yourself from harm. That may not always be a threat of violence, but the same principle holds true. Those who hang off of a bigger branch to reach out to cut a smaller branch live longer when they use means of attachment to prevent falls or being hit by falling branches. Same principle. Be willing to protect yourself.
Almost half of my graduating class from High School has died in the last 33 years from accidents. They were never a cautious bunch. I have done more dangerous things than most of them, and am still alive because of being cautious even when doing inherently dangerous things such as skydiving, parachuting for Uncle Sam, driving in Dallas and Houston, making nitroglycerin back in college, or making black powder at home. There are certain steps to take in each of those activities which increase the safety margin.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:36 am At our age:
- never look in the mirror before you have had coffee
- do not use the phrase "Trickle down" in any kind of sentence
- if you wake up and nothing hurts, check the Obituary page